Windows 10 (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
After waiting about 2 weeks after notification, I switched on my PC and up popped a message to say that my Windows 10 is ready to download. At last, I thought. So I clicked on the "Okay, let's continue!" button. (picture 1)
I was then presented with the next screen, (picture 2) which just whirled round and round and round........... After just over an hour, nothing was happening, so I gave up. Anyone else had this? What next? (Currently running Windows 7)

Picture 1

Picture 2

Otis

Took me about an hour I reckon. Did say 'working on it' for ages.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Houchens Head

OK lads. That helps. I guess I'll just let it carry on. Cheers!

Nathccfc

Mine taken about 4 hours!!! In the end, mind you I don't have fibre broadband so that might be a factor

sw88

Chief Commentator!
So whats this Windows 10 like? Is it worth downloading? I did post something similar on Twitter, and only one 'geek' got back to me and told me to download it. Didn't ask him why as he'd have probably come back with some jargon. So just looking for opinions from normal folk, but as that's not that easy, you lot will have to do ;)

Thanks in advance! :D

Houchens Head

So whats this Windows 10 like? Is it worth downloading? I did post something similar on Twitter, and only one 'geek' got back to me and told me to download it. Didn't ask him why as he'd have probably come back with some jargon. So just looking for opinions from normal folk, but as that's not that easy, you lot will have to do ;)

I'll let you know just as soon as the bloody thing installs sw88. It's been about 10 bleedin' hours at the moment! I've lost the will to live! :sleep:

Nathccfc

Tbh it's very tablet orientated, seems as if it's designed to work on a tablet and a desktop, seems to be OK. Runs smooth and so far I haven't come across any problems, actually I had to update some of my drivers when it installed but tbh I think I needed to install them anyway as a few of them were a few years old, I used a program called slim drivers, which scans your drivers and let's you know which ones need updating and let's you download them via the program.. other than that, I seem to think it's OK, however I haven't used it overly though.

pipkin73

I updated and installed in about 2 hours.
Has caused me loads of problems as my printers would not work (see my post windows 10 for a way to sort that out).

I find it much faster than windows 7, internet is faster and programs work faster with less freezing (this is why i have persavered with it). But many bugs and if like me you are only used to windows 7 it's learning a new system also as it seems to be based on windows 8.1 (loads of changes from windows 7).

My main gain is that i had 24gb ram but with windows 7 even though it identified all 24gb ram it only allowed me to use 16 or 18gn ram (something like that) but with Windows 10 i am using all 24gb ram (this will be why my internet and programs are running faster).

In short if you are used to windows 8.1 or if you need to access more memory etc then update.
If your system is running perfect and you don't need to enhance i would be wary, it could cause you alot of problems. Probably better updating in 10 months time as the free update is running for 12 months and by this time they should have fixed alot of the bugs.

Houchens Head

Latest news: I thought I'd perservere with this bloody download so I left my PC running ALL NIGHT expecting to come down and see the nice , sparkly, all singing, all dancing Windows 10.........
No such luck.
Round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round.

Sod it! I'll do it manually!

Houchens Head

Well, I had it for a day. Absolutely hated it!! Half my stuff wouldn't run!! I've gone back to Windows 7!

Tad

Had this since day one and not a single fault yet. Everything I've thrown at it (including some really technically stuff I need for work) has worked without a hitch.

cornoccfc

Had this since day one and not a single fault yet. Everything I've thrown at it (including some really technically stuff I need for work) has worked without a hitch.

Well, I had it for a day. Absolutely hated it!! Half my stuff wouldn't run!! I've gone back to Windows 7!

Sums up my experience; put it on 3 machines, 2 going strong, the other, Start Bar and Cortana have broken.

Apparently a common problem too, which they have been trying to patch.

mechaishida

It's smooth, it's marginally quicker (than Win8), but it's nothing spectacular. Took about 2hrs to download and install.

For some reason, I'm having no gaming issues on Win10, whereas with Win8 I had nothing but issues.

Users who are viewing this thread