Windows 8 (1 Viewer)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Mums got the old man a new laptop for Christmas. I just loaded it to find out Currys / PC world had already put an account on for him (I wasnt with him when he brought it so didnt know this before).

Cant say im impressed with Windows 8 for the short time ive just spent on it. Does it get easier to use the more you use it?

Im too impatient to show him how to use it (as ill have to teach myself before I teach him!).

What is it with the scrolling screens when all i want to do is move the mouse cursor?

Also, is there a decent (cheap) / recommendations for Anti Virus? Usually use AVG (me being tight) but thinking might have to encourage him to pay for one as its a new laptop n all that......

skybluepancho

I work at Curry's and recently got a new laptop with Windows 8. Best bet is to just click on desktop on the new start screen and it'll take you to a layout you're more used to.

Norton Anti-virus is your best bet for protection, everywhere has it on offer.

Bagsy

2 options of Anti Virus.. Avast if you want a free one, does a good enough job. Microsoft Security Essentials is sufficient as well.

If you want one a paid for one I'd go for NOD32 (by far the best I've ever had) http://www.eset.co.uk/Home/NOD32-Antivirus. There is a free trial for a month if you want to take a look at it.

Wouldn't go for the usual Norton, McAfee, AVG as they are far too bloated for what they are and use up necessary resources.

As for Windows 8, I've got it on one of my machines at work and the more you use it and get used to it, the better it gets (I'd say I still prefer Win 7, which I have on my main machine). I don't think I'll rolling it out to the business anytime soon, it's more of a home user OS.

skybluedude

Agree with Bagsy it is brilliant for home users, I brought it on the release day but there is no way I would ever roll it out across my work network.

I think once you get used to the concept of the Apps and start using its integrated online features it is a brilliant operating system.

Nick

Administrator
I work at Curry's and recently got a new laptop with Windows 8. Best bet is to just click on desktop on the new start screen and it'll take you to a layout you're more used to.

Norton Anti-virus is your best bet for protection, everywhere has it on offer.

Are you on sales? Norton is dire :(

Windows 8 is only good if you have touchscreen.

A lot of places are shipping with widows7 downgrades due to popular demand!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Sod Norton or any anti-virus that you have to pay for! Download Microsoft Security Essentials for free! Brilliant software!

Covstu

I upgraded to windows 8 and agree with nick, it is highly reliant on a touchscreen to be fully effective. It also knocked out my wireless which I wasn't happy about!

Users who are viewing this thread