wireless connection (1 Viewer)

Covstu

I have a 30mb virgin line with the latest wireless hub but my connection to my computer is very intermittant, when i connect through the ethernet it runs about 24mb (ish) but wireless it drops to 4-10mb. I brought a usb (fairly cheap) but was wondering if a better one would make a difference? Also someone mentioned that installing another driver could make a difference also? Any thoughts?

Bagsy

Does there seem to be any link to the location of where you are in the house when it's slow?

Wireless networks can be a bit flakey as the signal can vary due to a number of reasons such as how far away from the hub you are, electrics that can interfere with the signal and possibly even walls etc. in the house. You'll almost always get a better speed with a cable (depending on how long it is) because it doesn't have to deal with most of these factors.

Getting a better Wireless adapter or updating might improve it, but you'll probably never get the 24mb from the cable.

Marty

I've heard a bit of tin foil around the router at the back of the general direction you are in helps boost the signal, never done it so don't know.

Coventry La La La

Is your router wireless N? If it is make sure your wireless reciver on your computer is "N" the company that sold your router should sell a usb internet booster N adapter, try searching the web.

And always remember Wired is 3x faster then wireless, so if it's possible to get your connection wired then do it.

Covstu

cheers guys, i have a usb dongle thingy but not sure what the capacity is on it so i might buy a bigger one to see if that works.

Users who are viewing this thread