Would you back calls for a European Super League of 22 teams? (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

What a league that would be.
You get promoted to it by winning your own domstic league.
You get relegated by being in the bottom 6.

Suppose it was made up of 4 top teams from Spain, France, Germany, Italy, England and two from weaker leagues in say Holland and Scotland.

So from here you would have Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal and Spurs all in with Real Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, and Inter Milan, Juve, Bayern etc etc....

In that kind of company over some 38 games do you think Barca or Real would dominate in the same way as they do in Spain?

Would you support and pay to go to such games? Imagine the away games at the Now Camp stadium and jumping on an Easy jet for £40 quid? That's less than petrol money to Newcastle!

Feasible?

smileycov

Facebook User
As a Celtic fan...i think it would be great. But you would need to sort the relegation side of it out! i mean if say Feyenoord and Ajax didn't finish in the bottom 6 you could never get any further teams from Holland in! Also if say Rangers (or Govan United!) finished in the bottom 6 would that mean that a very weak team from Scotland joined? Or would they need to be voted in by the others?

Rich

This reminds me of the champions league, you know where the top teams from europe play a series of matches and ultimately someone wins. I think it's probably best off being left as a cup competition to save the hassle of relegation/promotion issues.

Paxman II

The reason for a league over a whole season is the strength and fascination of it.
The whole thing takes on a different perspective from a cup competition. Winning a league is far more difficult. Would love to see it.
As for the semantics of it all...I'm merely suggesting at this point in time.

kg82

So those top teams would compete in a European league instead of domestically for that season and, most likely in the case of Spanish and English teams, for the forseeable future?

Sumo the Micky Quinn

No I wouldn't back it.

But, I think the big boys of European football will make it happen.

There was talk here in spain, of an elite euro league, which would involve just the top teams no relegation or promotion, or maybe just 2 euro leagues with relegation/promotion between only the 2 leagues. It wouldn't be logistically possible to promote from many different countries. They only wanted teams with stadiums and regular attendances of over 40,000.

Money talks, One day it will happen.

Maybe it could work out better for the rest of football, take out Celtic & Rangers from Scottish football, take out Barca & Real Madrid from Spain and you would have a more competative national leagues.

Changeyourface

No, the moneymakers in charge of the Premiership, Sky, Champions League, FIFA, FA and the "big" clubs are already doing their best to destroy football as a working mans game, this would just help them. Make the rich, richer and the poor, poorer.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
No, the moneymakers in charge of the Premiership, Sky, Champions League, FIFA, FA and the "big" clubs are already doing their best to destroy football as a working mans game, this would just help them. Make the rich, richer and the poor, poorer.

Have to agree here. At first I thought "good idea", but having read all the views here, I don't think so. There's no way I could afford to go to games even now, let alone go to see this sort of football, (as much as I'd like to). I do feel, however, that Sky and other influences will make some sort of "New League" sometime soon. Football just isn't a "working mans" game anymore. How much does it cost for a full day now? including all the travel and food costs, etc plus the cost of the ticket? And if you're taking the missus and a couple of kids, well it doesn't bear thinking about.

Disorganised1

Stupid idea - and it would go bust quickly - look at support levels around Europe and you realise that the only way this could be supported is through television - who would love a game each night rather than traditional Saturday games, but I thikn its handing the game even more to the money men.

Users who are viewing this thread