X Files (1 Viewer)

Malaka

Did anyone watch the new series? I thought it was pretty good, cant wait for the next one

chiefdave

Did anyone watch the new series? I thought it was pretty good, cant wait for the next one

Didn't bother waiting for Channel 5. Only 2 episodes left now. Have really enjoyed it. Pretty sure there will be more, the ratings have been great. Think short series like this is a much better option than an occasional film.

Went back and watch all the old series last year. They stand up really well to a rewatch and whoever has done the HD transfers has done an amazing job.

Covstu

I enjoyed the first one, still kept true to the storylines but I do miss the singular odd stories rather than the ongoing alien/government conspiracy storyline. I assume when the smoking man said they have reopened the x files that this may have opened the door to that!

Otis

Didn't bother waiting for Channel 5. Only 2 episodes left now. Have really enjoyed it. Pretty sure there will be more, the ratings have been great. Think short series like this is a much better option than an occasional film.

Went back and watch all the old series last year. They stand up really well to a rewatch and whoever has done the HD transfers has done an amazing job.
Where you getting the ratings from Dave? I looked on Rotten Tomatoes, which is an accumulation of just about all reviews and that has given it a total score of 57%.

The first episode I thought was very tired, wooden and clunky personally. That's all I've watched so far though. Will stick with it!

chiefdave

Where you getting the ratings from Dave? I looked on Rotten Tomatoes, which is an accumulation of just about all reviews and that has given it a total score of 57%.

Variety said:
Fox’s reboot of The X-Files which had produced strong same-day ratings when it launched last Sunday, is looking even more impressive in just-released delayed-viewing numbers. In fact, the number of viewers who watched the premiere exceeded the show’ peak season average.

In Nielsen’s “live plus-3” estimates, “The X-Files” averaged 20.3 million viewers — a 25% jump from its previously reported 16.2 million viewers in same-day. More than half of the 4.1 million-viewer lift in the three days following the premiere (2.1 million) came from video-on-demand, while the other 2 million came via DVR playback.

Sunday’s premiere also drew 1.1 million viewers in three days of streaming on Hulu and FoxNow, bringing the show’s multi-platform premiere audience to 21.4 million. (The only other Fox premiere to do better online this season was the “Empire” premiere, with 1.5 million).

Digital Spy said:
The X-Files​' ​long-awaited return scored big ratings for Channel 5 last night (February 8), as millions of fans tuned in to see Mulder and Scully's comeback.

An average overnight audience of 3.17m (14.2%) tuned in at 9pm on Monday, with an added 61,000 (0.3%) watching on +1.

This was Channel 5's highest-rated show since the January 2015 launch of Celebrity Big Brother​, and the highest drama launch since 2009 for FlashForward​​ (what a disappointment that was).

Meanwhile, it was also up around 168% from its usual slot average, which is pretty darn impressive.

Uproxx said:
‘The X-Files’ Has Shattered Worldwide Ratings Records

The X-Files was a hotly anticipated revival, but like any revival, the question still lingered as to whether there was genuine demand for new episodes, or whether nostalgia was fueling the excitement. Well, the numbers are in, and audiences very much wanted more Mulder and Scully.

The premiere was always going to do well; Fox slotted it right after the NFC Championship. Still, it surprised everyone with 16 million viewers day-of and 20 million total once you factor in DVR numbers. But just as telling is how the second episode, which aired the day after, did. It doubled the ratings of Fox’s usual genre entry, Gotham, with 10 million viewers and a 3.2 rating. Worldwide, the numbers are just as impressive; Fox is estimating that 50 million people have watched the series so far, and it hasn’t even debuted in a number of major markets yet, such as the UK and Australia.

xcraigx

I found the first one a little dull but the next 3 have been pretty good IMO. And Gillian Anderson looks much much better this time round!

Otis

Not being funny like, but they all seem to be talking in terms of viewer numbers. :)

I was talking in terms of critical review.

Have looked at individual episodes now too though and some of them are much higher rated than that first episode, which scored averagely at best.

chiefdave

Not being funny like, but they all seem to be talking in terms of viewer numbers. :)

Think Fox will be more concerned with how many people are watching. More viewers = higher ad rates = more money for Fox.

C5 have apparently paid over £1m an episode for the rights.

Not really sure why the first episode got such a hard time from the critics. What were they expecting. Had to tie up the old series / movies and be accessible to anyone who hadn't seen it before. Think they did a pretty good job.

Otis

Think Fox will be more concerned with how many people are watching. More viewers = higher ad rates = more money for Fox.

C5 have apparently paid over £1m an episode for the rights.

Not really sure why the first episode got such a hard time from the critics. What were they expecting. Had to tie up the old series / movies and be accessible to anyone who hadn't seen it before. Think they did a pretty good job.
I found it clumsy, the meeting up of the old minds. Think it could have been played out very differently.

I used to really love the X Files, but at one point during the programme on Monday I started browsing on my tablet. Just found it tired, old, clunky and predicatble.

Shame.

wingy

I found it clumsy, the meeting up of the old minds. Think it could have been played out very differently.

I used to really love the X Files, but at one point during the programme on Monday I started browsing on my tablet. Just found it tired, old, clunky and predicatble.

Shame.
There was a piece of face to face dialogue between them both where one line led to a reply from the other and back and forth.
Just was wooden and didn't flow well, very unconvincing.

olderskyblue

Shame.

You obviously need a new tablet....

covcity4life

10 episodes should lead to better pacing.

They need to think the main src through. S9 it started well but they had to just forget sbout till finale after that

skybluedan

I used to watch it years ago and didn't realise they had brought more out
Was the series last year the first one for a while?

chiefdave

There was 9 series in the original run which went from 1993 - 2002. There was also a film in 1998.

There was another film in 2008 which did OK without setting the box office alight. Then a 6 episode series last year. The next series will be 10 episodes.

Reruns are on Spike every night at about 10pm. There at the end of series 3 at the moment. Its also on Amazon Prime.

Watched the whole lot before the series last year and it stands up really well. Anyone who is a fan the HD versions are well worth getting. They've done an amazing job with them.

Users who are viewing this thread