Yay! Getting there slowly but surely (1 Viewer)

oakey

I would love to believe that humanity would be better without belief in gods or religions. I am agnostic about this since there is no evidence that human capacity for faith will disappear. Alas this will probably attach itself to ever more harmful ideologies. For all their faults and horrific manifestations the world's great faiths preach the brotherhood of all humanity and the importance of living a "good" life. Fear of eternal punishment has had some deterrent value on the worst excesses of human dark hearts.
My fear is that humanity may well go for ever more harmful individualistic ideologies, fads and conspiracy theories.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
You're born.
You die.
The bit in the middle is called life.
That's it. End of.
And for all those worried about what happens to you after you die, can you remember what it was like before you were born? No? Then that's what being dead will be like. The world will carry on, but you won't.
Have a nice day!

singers_pore

The figures show that 7/10 young people in the UK are not religious. It is progress. But the decline in religion also needs to be replaced with more education, especially in the sciences. It's science that advances the human condition, while it is religion that impedes it.

Covstu

Personally I have no issue with people who have faith, most of my family are prodestant and if faith gets them through the day then all power to them. It's when people use faith for their own means and justify shitty actions in the name of god where it is wrong. They are not religious they are just fucking idiots

Otis

Extreme handjobs are pretty good ..... so I've been told.

The blisters afterwards are rather problematic, though that of course is of little concern to all my clients.

I don't have any problem with people believing in God, but as I say, I do have a problem with the 'you MUST do this' aspect, which quite clearly is manmade and nothing passed down by any higher being.

And even in moderate faith you go to your local little Anglican church and you are told you are going to heaven and other faiths are all going to hell.

I do have a problem with women as mere objects in faith and of a lower status than man. Again, this is from scripture clearly written by man for the benefit of man alone.

The only reason the 'law' was written that women had to completely cover up is because men didn't like other men looking at their women.

Stupid little things too, like when I went to Russia. My missus took me to look at an old church, so we went in to look around and this priest/vicar/pastor (not quite sure what his title was, or what denomination, guessing Greek Orthodox) came running over to me shouting and ranting and raving like crazy right in my face because I was wearing three rings, wedding ring, plus two others. Apparently you MUST only wear a wedding ring and a wedding ring only. Ridiculous. THREE rings!!! How bad was I!!

I would have been happy to take the rings off out of respect had I have known, but I didn't and this guy was going absolutely apeshit, as if I had just attempted to assassinate the Pope or something.

But it's the can't work on the Sabbath, can't have blood transfusions, women can't be educated stuff that really, really irks me.

Users who are viewing this thread