Match Thread Yeovil Town - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 26th Aug (2 Viewers)

Marty

Haven't heard the robins post match interview, but were any questions that people might want to the answer to actually asked this week? Stuff like Will O'brien keep his spot after costing us 2 games running or why when we are 1-0 down are the midfield sitting so deep.

ccfcway

Haven't heard the robins post match interview, but were any questions that people might want to the answer to actually asked this week? Stuff like Will O'brien keep his spot after costing us 2 games running .

would you have been happy with 0-0 and then 0-1, as that would have been the scores without O'Brien "costing us" .

Gazolba

Robins

<snip>

Opposition work hard against us and we have to learn to deal with that

<snip>

Did we actually think other teams were just going to let us win?

Marty

would you have been happy with 0-0 and then 0-1, as that would have been the scores without O'Brien "costing us" .

We were the better team in both games, O'Brien errors completely changed the games. I think we would have gone on to win both games.

Gazolba

Obviously not there today, but I have had concerns about McNulty in every game so far. From reading on here he today it sounds the same thing, he snaps at shots too much and shanks them, and has been lacking a killer instinct, many of his shots going well wide, or over the bar, or indeed he has been reluctant to shoot at all.
That's why he's a Division 4 player.
If he did not snap at shots, did not shank them, had a killer instinct, got every shot on target and shot on sight at every opportunity, he'd be out of our price range and not playing in this division.

Marty

So we were the better team for less than half the game.

Game flipped on his head with Obrien's fuck up, mentally the players now know they cant trust the man behind them.

Without a goal in 180 mins how was you hoping this would be?

Game changed, Newport went from having 9 behind the ball (hard to break down), to having 11 men behind the ball, which is near enough impossible with the standard of player in this divison.

and yet we didn't score in either and after 0-1 today, they still scored again

Yes they did score again, without the first, they wouldn't have had the confidence to push on for the 2nd. They were shocking until they scored.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Couldn't be worse than Andre Wright

You joke, but we just lost 7-1. Yours truly got carded for basically having enough and going smashy smashy one too many times.

I thought a nice win over Yeovil could cheer me up a bit, but then see the result that we lost.

Terrible day at the office all round. Now I'm going to the city arms and I'll see you all on about Tuesday...

ccfcway

Yes they did score again, without the first, they wouldn't have had the confidence to push on for the 2nd. They were shocking until they scored.

Sadly, we didn't have the confidence to score one, let alone the 2nd.

Will bow to your knowledge if you were there, but both BBC and Sky said it was very even until the 1st goal

Last edited:

steve82

I said the other day we're yet to hit goal scoring form and yet to find that killer touch, and got shot down. Now if today don't highlight this more than ever nothing will. Yeovil let in 14 prior to today and been awful at the back. Did we trouble them.

We've got off to a great start with JJ having a day to remember, at Grimsby McNulty got lucky with his goal and Grimmer did well to take his goal.

Since then nothing and in truth we lacked any build up play in the first half at Grimsby till we played and broke them down in the second half with McNultys awareness and luck shifting the pendulum.

It's still early days but it's a concern. MR needs his trusted mate Steve Taylor more than ever right now. Plenty to smooth over and put right.

Last edited:

vow

We were the better team in both games, O'Brien errors completely changed the games. I think we would have gone on to win both games.
Dunno about going on to win both, perhaps a draw and a win(?), but the errors changed the game.

We still need a finisher up top and some creativity in midfield, perhaps Stevenson and Doyle in the middle.

Marty

Sadly, we didn't have the confidence to score one, let alone the 2nd

If Jones scored in the first minute with his shot, their confidence would have been shot to pieces straight out of the gate. Fine margins effect the game. Obrien doesn't gift them a goal, we don't go chasing a game, don't concede a first or second.

Otis

That's why he's a Division 4 player.
If he did not snap at shots, did not shank them, had a killer instinct, got every shot on target and shot on sight at every opportunity, he'd be out of our price range and not playing in this division.

We're not talking about him getting every shot on sight at every opportunity. That obviously would be quite ridiculous. By the same token though, division 4 player or not, I don't expect him to shank, miss hit and air shot pretty every attempt 4 matches in a row either.

He has to be better than that.

Otis

You joke, but we just lost 7-1. Yours truly got carded for basically having enough and going smashy smashy one too many times.

I thought a nice win over Yeovil could cheer me up a bit, but then see the result that we lost.

Terrible day at the office all round. Now I'm going to the city arms and I'll see you all on about Tuesday...

Yeah, c you next Tuesday.

Somerset Sky Blue

The latter I'm afraid
which is it ?
Elements of both are true.
We played better in first half, but once goal conceded (and no reply by half time) we did seem short of ideas. Shit - bit harsh in my opinion but I agree with Nick about the gap between midfield and strikers. No issue with two holding mids in away games - even when 1 nil down in first half, but need to bring on Stevenson early in second half if we are losing.
When I say top ten, I don't mean top 2 or 4, but it is so early, who can know?

Somerset Sky Blue

interested how their GK can be MOTM when we had 3 shots on target
Apart from the saves, I think he commanded his box quite well - came out and claimed some reasonably good crosses/set pieces, which would have created more opportunities.
His kicking was poor though.

ccfcway

If Jones scored in the first minute with his shot, their confidence would have been shot to pieces.

not convinced of that.

This whole thread seems to be based on the "1st goal wins" rule in league two.

Its entirely possible to come back from being behind. Walsall were 0-3 down today and ended 3-3.

Liquid Gold

Need to mix things up. What I'd try is passing slowly at the back then sending it out wide and punting it to our short striker. Bound to work.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Obviously not there today, but I have had concerns about McNulty in every game so far. From reading on here he today it sounds the same thing, he snaps at shots too much and shanks them, and has been lacking a killer instinct, many of his shots going well wide, or over the bar, or indeed he has been reluctant to shoot at all.
I think what you're trying to say is he is shit .
giphy.gif

stringyb92

At the game today, apart from a decent standing spot, getting sunburnt and decent parking. The performance on the pitch was awful.

letsallsingtogether

Yeah, but did any of us ever conceive the keeper letting two absolute howlers in two successive games?
Well no after reading all the reports on here I expected him to be a top class keeper.
Sorry but he must be the worst out of all the keepers at the club.
I know I have only seen the last two games but that is all I have to go on at the moment.
I was happy when he was picked on Saturday after all the hype around how good he was, know I have seen him I'm not so sure.

letsallsingtogether

Apart from the saves, I think he commanded his box quite well - came out and claimed some reasonably good crosses/set pieces, which would have created more opportunities.
His kicking was poor though.
Yes in the second half you could hear him shouting at his defenders something none of our keepers do very often.

Users who are viewing this thread