Your team to face Portsmouth? (1 Viewer)

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Personally i feel three more signings would complete the squad another GK another CB as personally i don't feel Turner or Grandison are good enough to step in and cover the team over the course of the season if McPake or Wood pick up a serious injury my choice to fill the gap would be Jay DeMerit who AB worked with at Watford and finally another striker, my shout may be a bit far fetched but (Jason Scotland) he would be exactly what this team needs especially if we are going to play 4-5-1 next season wich looks almost certain, as he played this formation at Swansea for a couple of years scoring 20+ goals a season, so my starting line-up will be.....

GK WESTWOOD- The best GK in the division hands down, would walk into any team at this level.

LB HUSSEY- I've always rated Hussey since day one but he didn't seem to be a favourite with Coleman, many peoples shout for most improved player in pre-season so far.

RB KEOGH- From what i've seen of this guy so far he looks a very solid defender doesn't try anything fancy and works his socks off up and down the wing, just maybe a bit of training on that final delivery.

CB WOOD- A very solid proven championship defender nothing fancy does his job every week.

CB MCPAKE- IMO our best defender, truely another class when it comes to one on one defending i'm sure he would be in everyone's team come Portsmouth.

DM CARSLEY- Captain Carsley, the experience we missed in midfield was all to evident last season weather it was a cool head, a bit of grit or a touch of class especially when we were plodded along on our two dire runs, experience in this league is priceless and i don't feel we had that with a Coleman side.

DM CLINGAN- Lets just hope Clingan can recapture the form of the start of last season were he was single handedly are best outfield player winning us points on his own.

AM GUNNARSON- Again lets hope he recaptures the form he showed in the season before last if he can our midfield looks more solid than as it has done since relegation.

LW MCHEFFREY- Maybe lacks that yard of pace he once had but class never leaves you, i'm looking forward to his darting runs into the box and him winning us some penalties something i'm sure we didn't get too many off with our static wingers last season.

RW BAKER- On his day he will put the best of defenders on there backsides, maybe he went of the boil come the end of the season, but who didn't? Honestly looking forward to seeing two wingers that will attack the full backs.

ST - ??? ( Jason Scotland )

hsccfc

---------------------Westwood-------------------
keogh--crainie/mcpake--wood------o'halloran
baker-----clingan--------carsley----McSheffrey
---------eastwood----------Jutkiewickz---------

Personally, i'd have Cranie over Wood or Mcpake but i don't think he will start. I know you can't read to much into squad numbers but if in AB's mind Hussey was his first choice, he'd have the no. 3 shirt. Our midfield looks as if it's more of a 2-2 than a straight 4 with Baker and McSheffrey very forward minded and Carsley and Clingan naturally sitting. I know we haven't yet signed the big man from Everton but i think it could be done soon and i would look forward to seeing how him and Freddy combine, ideally i'd want us to have another out-and-out winger and have McSheffrey up top. I hope i'm wrong but O'Donavan doesn't look like he'll have as big a role in the next season as we'd like but we'll have to wait and see. And i hope to god that Boothroyd sorts McIndoe and Bell into the mindset of proper wingers.

Sky Blue Luke

-Westwood-
-Keogh-McPake-Wood-O'Halloran-
-Clingan-Carsley-
-Baker-Gunnarsson-McSheffrey-
-*Villa-

*May not happen​

(Subject to injuries)

Westwood

Cranie Wood McPake O'Halloran

Bell Clingan Carsley Baker

McSheffrey Eastwood​

I know it's not an interesting, radical formation, but Cov did play best when in that formation last season. I'd give O'Halloran a run out, to see if he can cope with the likes of Prince Boateng...Cranie is finally restored to one of his better positions in defence. I've put Bell in to compensate for having McSheffrey up front, but alternatively, we could give Lukas or O'Donovan a run out and put McSheffrey on the wing- Bell is quite good when he's in the mood, more solid than McIndoe!

But yeah, it's certainly going to be interesting to see what team Aidy decides on!

Nick

Administrator
Mine would be:

Westwood
Keogh Wood McPake O'Halloran
Clingan Carsley
Baker Gunnar McSheffrey
Eastwood

I would start like that as a test, maybe putting Eastwood in Gunnars place and playing Jukebox up front!

T

TrevorsathisPeake

No way would i put McSheffrey up front,he's never scored goals playing there so not a chance.But heres mine.

Westwood
Keogh McPake Wood Hussey

Clingan Carsley
Baker Eastwood McSheffery

Jutkiewicz

I think this is the team Boothroyd will go for aswell.Left back is still a potential problem.Id like Crainie in the team,id rather have him at left-back than on the bench,but with Boothroyd wanting attcking full-backs,having a right footer there could slow things down.No team in the country play with 2 out and out strikers now,one of the strikers jobs will be to tuck in and make a 5 across the middle when we havent got the ball,Eastwood will probably be playing in and aroud Jutkiewicz,and King when he signs.I personally dont think Eastwood is good enough,and am suprised how many people keep saying give him time,yet some fans used to boo Stern John and Best.

Last edited by a moderator:

hsccfc

I think this 4-2-3-1 formation is thought the most likely, and i agree mainly because our one of our better players, Carl Baker would do well in this setup and i don't think we have two solid strikers and i'm not sure who'd be best out of Eastwood and Lukas to be honest.

Jimthor

My thoughts seem to be consistent with what some of you have suggested, in terms of formation anyway. As things stand...

Westwood
Keogh Wood McPake O'Halloran
Clingan Carsley
Baker Gunnarson McSheffrey
Jutkiewickz

O'Halloran/Hussey is a tricky choice to make really. It all depends at where Hussey's at and if he's at a level ready to start yet. Looked promising when he was on last season but still young, so possibly not his time just yet. Maybe keep giving him run-outs until later in the season and see how he does. O'Halloran having spent time with a Prem club gives him the edge for me, although at the end of the day the position will go to (i imagine) whoever has done best in training (and rightfully so).

There's also the possibility we'll sign another striker. Could have them starting instead of Lukas and keep the same formation... although it sounds like he was looking sharp last night, so that then brings about the idea of playing 2 up front... in which case we've got to have a bit of a re-think. Maybe keep Carsley in DM, move Clingan into CM, and put the new striker on for Gunnarson.

Interesting to see what Aidy plumps for anyway. I'm hoping we get something more like a first-choice XI out against West Brom.

T

TrevorsathisPeake

Can we read anything into Doyle starting ahead of Clingan yesterday? I think unless Sammy was carrying a knock then we can.If we do play,which i think we will,with 2 sitting then i suppose most would go for Sammy and Carsley.But looking at it closer Carsley and Sammy are midfielders who sit yes,but there not the type who go running around putting takles in,they are intelligent players who just sit,dictate play and make blocks/interceptions.Maybe he wants Doyle in there just to put a foot in and be the other ones legs if you like.Hope im wrong as Sammys my fave.
I now think Crainie will start at left-back,i dont see a problem with that,he might be right footed and it might not be his fave position but i think we can all say he was steady there last season.I dont think we have seen enough of Hussey to say put him in.
One last selection poser is Gunnarsson,i didnt think he'd start but i think after starting yesterday on the right theres a chance he'll start there agaist Pompey,the reason being that Boothroyd likes the direct route at times,so does Boothroyd realy want to take his huge throw out of the team.I think he could do well there,he isnt a centre mid,he emptys midfield all the time.
I cant wait now for the big K.O,bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
I was thinking the same re the Clingan / Doyle thing. Aidy said the starting 11 against WBA would pretty much be the same against Pompey so yeah unless Clingan's carrying a knock and they didn't want to risk him it looks like Doyler will be in our starting 11! Maybe he does think Clingan and Carsley are too similar so he will probably take Carsley off for Clingan at some point during games when Carsley gets knackered. Who is going to score our free kicks now! I like Clingan, probably our best player last season.. Maybe he is a transfer target for someone??

----------------Westy
Cranie - McPake - Wood - Hussey/O'Halloran
---------------Carsley
--------Bell - Clingan - McSheff
--------Eastwood - Jukey

Carsley on half way point just infront of back four bossin it, Clingan told to get up and get as many balls and attacking passes going through as possible, Bell who I still personally rate runnin the flanks with Sheffry, in them two we have two good attacking options imo, then Juke boy and Easatwood scoring Hat tricks :D

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Welcome to Sky Blues Talk Jakubecz, why not introduce yourself in the Off-Topic section in the 'New Sky Blues' thread :D

Keep posting!

:welcome:

:cool:

smileycov

Facebook User
I hear Gunnarson is out for saturday, with back strain. O'Halloran is also out with bad back, he had no end of injuries last year and this isn't a good start. o'donnovan sheffers and hussey are all training this week though.

still can't get enough news and this week is dragging!!

mikeskyblue

I'm going for a christmas tree formation (4-3-2-1)
GK Westwood
RB Keogh
CB Wood
CB McPake
LB Cranie
CM Doyle
CM Carsley
CM Clingan
RAM Jutkiewic
LAM McSheffrey
ST Eastwood

Nick

Administrator
I'm going for a christmas tree formation (4-3-2-1)
GK Westwood
RB Keogh
CB Wood
CB McPake
LB Cranie
CM Doyle
CM Carsley
CM Clingan
RAM Jutkiewic
LAM McSheffrey
ST Eastwood

I like that, although I think I would swap Jukebox for Eastwood!

smileycov

Facebook User
i think i wanna see:
GK Westwood
RB Keogh
CB Wood
CB McPake
LB Cranie
LAM McSheffrey
CM Carsley
CM Clingan
RAM Baker
ST Jutkiewic
ST Eastwood

mikeskyblue

I'd replace Eastwood with a number 9 from the premership!! I think he might try Laurent at righr Mid if he plays 4 in midfield although he won't last 90 minutes

smileycov

Facebook User
I'd replace Eastwood with a number 9 from the premership!! I think he might try Laurent at righr Mid if he plays 4 in midfield although he won't last 90 minutes

Thats why he will not start, be good impact sub though. Him and platt coming on causing all sorts of mischief with 15 to go!!

Sky Blue Luke

-Westwood-
-Keogh-McPake-Wood-Cranie-
-Carsley-Clingan-
-Baker-Eastwood-McSheffrey-
-Jukebox-​

Hope Carsley-Clingan start in the middle.​

Users who are viewing this thread