55 Empty Units in Town (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
That's a hell of a lot!

This comment sums it up for me:

Walk into Coventry city centre from the bus terminus and the first thing you notice is the sheer amount of bookmakers, pound shops, phone shops, coffee shops and Primark - it’s perfect city for students but that’s about it!
I much prefer to shop at the retail parks as they are easier to access by car, parking is free and you don’t have to walk miles to get from one shop to another - if we could just have a few more shoe shops, women’s designer wear, Paperchase, Cath Kidston and a John Lewis’s they would be just perfect - in the meantime I will continue to go to Leamington and Solihull

fernandopartridge

That's a hell of a lot!

The comment is contradictory - they want to drive to a retail park but also prefer to shop in Leamington or Solihull?

I think the biggest problem is that excessive pedestrianisation and lack of proper streets. The braindead labour council still believes that the precinct (designed on a 1930s ideal) is what people want. It isn't. People like proper streets because proper streets are lively and interesting.

Otis

That's a hell of a lot!

Hmm, a bit lobsided that though, Nick.

If you come if from Pool Meadow way then I totally agree, but other parts of the city are a lot better and the Lower Pricinct for example is becoming a lot more attractive.

Down there you have:

Next
Pandora
H&M
Clark's
Schuh
Lush
Tiger
And the soon to be opened Smiggle (also found in Touchwood, Solihull).

I think you can go to any city and pinpoint the bad areas (some of Manchester's city centre is horrible).

Nick

Administrator
The comment is contradictory - they want to drive to a retail park but also prefer to shop in Leamington or Solihull?

I think the biggest problem is that excessive pedestrianisation and lack of proper streets. The braindead labour council still believes that the precinct (designed on a 1930s ideal) is what people want. It isn't. People like proper streets because proper streets are lively and interesting.

I go to Solihull because I can go into Touchwood, run up and go where I need and get out.

In Coventry still prefer arena park, airport, gallagher etc if I need stuff. Very rarely have to go into town.

If they want people in town, they need to have a reason to go there.

Nick

Administrator
Next
Pandora
H&M
Clark's
Schuh
Lush
Tiger
And the soon to be opened Smiggle (also found in Touchwood, Solihull).

That's perfect if I want a fashion shop, shoes or bath smellies :)

By her comment, I meant mainly the out of town retail parks.

If I wanted Next I'd go to the Ricoh, park for free within 50 yards.
If I wanted Argos I'd go to Gallagher
If I wanted a TV or something I'd go to Currys
If I wanted a poundshop I'd go to Gallagher or the Airport

People need to have a need to go into town don't they? Unless they are a teenager going to hang about or something.

There is not much the average 2 adults, 2 kids family would specifically need that is only available in town is there?

Otis

That's perfect if I want a fashion shop, shoes or bath smellies :)

By her comment, I meant mainly the out of town retail parks.

If I wanted Next I'd go to the Ricoh, park for free within 50 yards.
If I wanted Argos I'd go to Gallagher
If I wanted a TV or something I'd go to Currys
If I wanted a poundshop I'd go to Gallagher or the Airport

People need to have a need to go into town don't they? Unless they are a teenager going to hang about or something.
It makes me laugh where you hang out Nick.;)

On a Saturday I grant you, kids hanging about town, but I don't see this at all Monday-Friday or on a Sunday. :)

Parts of Coventry City centre are horrible. Problem is it is too sprawling.

And what if you wanted to go to Next and Argos and Curry's?

Nick

Administrator
Another thing is opening times.

Next in town is open until 6, Ricoh 9, Central 6 is 8pm.
Argos in town, open until 5.30, Gallagher 8pm

Convenience is a massive factor!

Otis

Another thing is opening times.

Next in town is open until 6, Ricoh 9, Central 6 is 8pm.
Argos in town, open until 5.30, Gallagher 8pm

Convenience is a massive factor!
Yeah, agree. I like shops that have a much later opening, because it is so much more convenient.

We quite often go over to Arena Coventry in the evenings.

Nick

Administrator
And what if you wanted to go to Next and Argos and Curry's?

I'd open up the internet and get them delivered to my work the next day :)

I'd still have to go to Currys at the airport or Alvis anyway.

If I wanted Next and Argos I'd go Ricoh -> Gallagher, park outside for free and in then out.

I wouldn't think about town on a weekday because most places would be closing by the time I had finished.

Otis

I'd open up the internet and get them delivered to my work the next day :)

I'd still have to go to Currys at the airport or Alvis anyway.

If I wanted Next and Argos I'd go Ricoh -> Gallagher, park outside for free and in then out.

I wouldn't think about town on a weekday because most places would be closing by the time I had finished.

You need early retirement, Nick. :D

Pipehitterz

I'm amazed it isn't more .
I'm totally internet shopping boy when it comes to clothes.
I only ever go into jack and jones in town, my kids like primark and claire's accessories . Other than those places I don't shop at all

duffer

How to improve the city centre. Hmm...

i-say-we-take-off-and-nuke-the-entire-site-from-orbit-it-s-the-only-way-to-be-sure.jpg

Sky_Blue_Daz

As society is becoming more 24/7 and people are working various hours through the day shops particularly on a weekend should be opened longer
Maybe change the hours when the clocks go back/forward

Also a decent restaurant in town that's not a harvester or nandos that didn't shut at 10 would be a good start

ConnorDevine

I'm a student (lifelong cov fan and lived in Hinckley prior to moving to Uni) and I can say that literally nothing about bookies and phone shops appeals to me, it is absolutely not "perfect city for students"

duffer

I'm a student (lifelong cov fan and lived in Hinckley prior to moving to Uni) and I can say that literally nothing about bookies and phone shops appeals to me, it is absolutely not "perfect city for students"

You've not heard about the six new Pot Noodle bars they're opening in town then? ;)

Joy Division

Do any of you Coventry dwellers ever visit Fargo village? I haven't lived in the city since I was a kid but went there for the first time on a night out a few months ago. The Twisted Barrel there is a great little place, yet, completely dead on a Friday night, went to find another place that had nice beers at Inspire. Dead. Took a wander then to Drapers, again very quiet.

Where is everybody?

Si80

Do any of you Coventry dwellers ever visit Fargo village? I haven't lived in the city since I was a kid but went there for the first time on a night out a few months ago. The Twisted Barrel there is a great little place, yet, completely dead on a Friday night, went to find another place that had nice beers at Inspire. Dead. Took a wander then to Drapers, again very quiet.

Where is everybody?

It's not a surprise that Inspire was quiet a few months ago (February). Go back to them tonight (EDIT - actually maybe not tonight, but a sunny Friday or Saturday) and they'll be rammed cos of the sunshine.

Drapers. Expensive compared to say a Weatherspoons. Door policy of previous years puts people off.

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

Where is everybody?

You see the general attitude of Cov people. Very generic and bland in tastes (the popularity of Carling lager is a testament to that)

Nick

Administrator
It's not a surprise that Inspire was quiet a few months ago (February). Go back to them tonight (EDIT - actually maybe not tonight, but a sunny Friday or Saturday) and they'll be rammed cos of the sunshine.

Drapers. Expensive compared to say a Weatherspoons. Door policy of previous years puts people off.
Is drapers browns?

Captain Dart

Where is everybody?

55 empty units & they open a craft village in a barely accessible place hardly anyone would bother to visit?
Could have used Fargo site for student rooms & dedicated a cluster of empty precinct units to the function.
But no, the Council want to screw massive rents/rates from every shop, that time has gone..

Last edited:

Otis

55 empty units & they open a craft village in a barely accessible place hardly anyone would bother to visit?
Could have used Fargo site for student rooms & dedicated a cluster of empty precinct units to the function.
But no, the Council want to screw massive rents/rates from every shop, that time has gone..
Fargo is brilliant! We all love it and it's not a craft village.

At Fargo there are some hand made stuff, but there is also a bubble tea place, a great cafe, a pet shop, a place selling game consoles, a vinyl record place, a bookshop, a memorabilia stall, an American sweet shop, the brewery and some clothes shops.

Have some great events on there too, including bands, street food evenings, dog shows, film evenings, artisan chocolate fayres and there is a great venue there called the box which can be used for theatre, film or concerts.

I love the place and it's right in the heart of student land, so a great place for students.

LastGarrison

Yep pretty much overrun by students

I would suggest that the influx of students has improved the city centre. Bagel shop opened up, falafel place, Nigerian restaurants etc.

You then have places like the Empire, The Ivy House and the like refurbishing and opening up and again tapping into the student market but not being exclusive to them.

Always amazes me when people say the city centre is dead and then blame the students! What would it be like without them?? Then it's I'll stick to Leamington and Kenilworth etc. do you honestly think they are not full of students as well? Warwick Uni have volunteers posted in Leaminton every weekend to make sure their students get home alright and don't cause too much trouble!

People need to get out of the stereotype that all students are skint (especially the international ones!) and since our lovely government increased the University fees a lot of the students are local (Cov, Brum etc.) because it is easier for them to stay at home and commute.

Captain Dart

Fargo is brilliant! We all love it and it's not a craft village.

I'm not entirely sure what is is that makes it different to a 'craft village', it sells arty & crafty stuff doesn't it and I've seen tea rooms and sweet shops in places called 'craft villages'.

Would it be OK if I called it a 'commercial urban art installation'?

skybluetony176

I think Coventry town centre is like a lot of town centre's in that it hasn't adjusted to the times and is too big. Rugby is the same, we now have great out of town shopping and with the advent of online shopping the town centre is to large, it need's shrinking. This is something councils seem reluctant to do or encourage. Take the main shopping centre and multistory in Rugby. It's a dump, best thing they could do in my opinion is level it and build houses on it. The shops that then want to remain in the town centre could be moved into the many empty units on the traditional high street's of the town centre and with the influx of people now living on it's door step giving it a further boost I can't see how it's not the best way forward to regenerating Rugby town centre. The same should happen in Coventry as as far as I can tell it has the same issues.

Malaka

We need an outlet retail park between Birmingham, Coventry and Leamington. Driving all the way to Bicester or Cheshire is a ball ache

Nick

Administrator
We need an outlet retail park between Birmingham, Coventry and Leamington. Driving all the way to Bicester or Cheshire is a ball ache

Have you been to Resorts world? Not quite the same as Bicester Village though.

Nick

Administrator
I'm not entirely sure what is is that makes it different to a 'craft village', it sells arty & crafty stuff doesn't it and I've seen tea rooms and sweet shops in places called 'craft villages'.

Looks a bit hipster, people paying silly money for a bowl of cereal or old video games bought off ebay and then sold on because they have put them in a display case and called them vintage.

Otis

The point is it's not a craft village. Most things there are products being sold and not products being made.

There are I think half a dozen craft type shops where they make their products themselves and sell them, but the majority of shops are independent retailers.

Do you want to call Coventry City centre a craft village? I'm sure some stuff in some of the city centre is handmade by the retailer. ;)

Sounds to me like you haven't been to Fargo. I therefore cannot quite understand your criticism of something you don't know about. :)

The place has a performance venue, has weekly film nights, has a brewery and lots of events.

You should give it a whirl. Many people compare the place to Camden.

Oh sorry .... I mean Camden Craft Village. ;)

Sometimes it is quiet there, but I have been a number of times when it has been quite vibrant and once the Box gets more use that will bring more people in.

Otis

Looks a bit hipster, people paying silly money for a bowl of cereal or old video games bought off ebay and then sold on because they have put them in a display case and called them vintage.
Yeah, I would say 'hipster' is quite a good description.

Off the top of my head there is:

Urban Coffee Company (great coffee and the food is good too)

Karmen's Creations, where they have mad hatters tea parties.

A pet shop, mainly selling tropical fish.

Dare, a women's clothes shop.

Spangles, an American sweet shop come diner. Basically you can buy any product and they will make it into a milkshake and you can also buy American cereals and then eat them there in their diner.

There is a place that does sewing and T-shirt printing.

A vinyl record store, selling records and t-shirts.

A second hand, vintage clothes store.

The Big Comfy Bookshop, been voted in the top 5 second hand bookshops in the country. That also incorporates a small tea room.

There is the brewery and then a motor scooter shop (Mod type scooters), a bubble tea takeaway and then the Box and another cafe/bar coming soon.

There's also Sgt. Bilko's Emporium, which sells collectibles of screen and TV and Astral Gypsy, selling fantasy books and magazines etc.

The shipping containers that have been turned into tiny shop units mainly sell the handmade craft stuff.

As I say, me and my family love it and have been on several occasions. We mainly go for the events though (most weekends).

Needs more Coventry folk to support it to be honest and that will make it more vibrant all the time.

Captain Dart

So, what is a hipster?

* I don't really want to know, I abandoned following popular culture a decade ago or more.

Users who are viewing this thread