A plummeting club, Chesterfield FC. (1 Viewer)

steve82

It sounds potentially like big financial problems looming for Chesterfield and last roll of the dice for another relegation fight to not drop into National league North.
Shows the fine lines of football, bad managerial appointments and bad financial decisions at board level too. What a 5 years they’ve seen.

Here today’s statement

Good afternoon.

This morning I spoke to a number of players regarding their future at our club.

Clearly, changes need to be made as we have not won enough points and to be honest, I'm fed up of hearing we played well and that it was a good performance, only to draw.

Kyel Reid, Marc-Antoine Fortune and Zavon Hines all live down in London and it's best for them and for us to find clubs in the London area. I am not going into further details as to why I've had to make this decision.

Shwan Jalal has been made available for loan. Now he's fit and well, he needs to be out playing first-team football.

Joe Anyon is already available on a free transfer or loan.

Michael Nelson has also been made available on a free transfer or loan.

Now Robbie Weir is fit following his injury, he's also available on a free transfer or loan.

We need to strengthen this team and we will.

Take care,

Martin

Look at the last 5 seasons, show how quickly things go wrong.
14/15 6th league one
15/16 18th league one
16/17 24th league one
17/18 24th league two
18/19 21st National League

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Yep, posted in the other thread about ex players being released.

Didn't some staff get in trouble for being up to no good with the accounts as well?

steve82

Yep, posted in the other thread about ex players being released.

Didn't some staff get in trouble for being up to no good with the accounts as well?

Not so sure on that but seems strange they’ve released both senior keepers tho. Joe Anyon might be worth snatching quickly on a short term deal.

fernandopartridge

It all went wrong for them when Paul Cook left, though I think they were living beyond their means when they finished in the L1 play offs. They had quite a few decent players, Gareth Roberts, Jay O'Shea, Eoin Doyle

Gazolba

A precipitous fall but at least they have a stadium, which is more than we have.

steve82

Been entertained at work tonight reading about Chesterfield F.C. they are a worse a run club than we are.

These are the pick of just the last 12/18 months!

This summer the club unveil a new away kit design.
Away kit is black, a colour which can't be worn in the national league as it’s what the officials wear.

Chesterfield ran a competition where the winner would have a ticket to one of Chesterfield’s pre-season friendlies held abroad, the announced winner was entirely made up

Director Ashley Carson confirms he will cooperate fully with any enquiry after his son boasted on social media that he had won money from a bet on the next Spireites manager.
(put £20 on Allen getting the managers job at 25/1)

Well known club official, Dave Rocket harasses the club's historian which ultimately lead to his resignation.

Link to a forum page with a timeline of woe.
The Wretched Mire Of Chesterfield - A Look At The Most Miserable Team To Support In England - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC - Page 12

And if you’ve 5 mins this gives a better view of the issues
The wretched mire of Chesterfield: A look at the most miserable team to support in England

oucho

Sad times. I still have a soft spot for them after they got to the 1997 FA Cup final, and would have sneaked through to the final if it wasn't for the lino not giving an apparent goal in the semi at Old Trafford v Middlesbrough. Although anyone silly enough to sign MAF and Kyle and/or Kyel Reid deserves little sympathy.

Look at the last 5 seasons, show how quickly things go wrong.
14/15 6th league one
15/16 18th league one
16/17 24th league one
17/18 24th league two
18/19 21st National League

You forgot to mention that in August 2018 their ground played host to Lionel Ritchie in concert (he also played Shrewsbury Town FC and the Lincolnshire showground on the same tour)

Ashdown

Where do you think we shall be in 5 years if just supposing we can't get a deal to play at the Ricoh ?!

steve82

John Sheridan has this morning resigned from 7th place Carlisle in L2 with reports he’s on the brink of being appointed Chesterfield’s new manager in the National League who languish in 21st place

Terry Gibson's perm

John Sheridan has this morning resigned from 7th place Carlisle in L2 with reports he’s on the brink of being appointed Chesterfield’s new manager in the National League who languish in 21st place

Must be nearer to home

steve82

I read recently that Carlisle only offer out 1 year deals to players so it’s possible long term stability might of played a part in his decision but on what he’s achieved so far this year so far would surely have his stock as manager better then taking on a very unstable job at Chesterfield. It’s a huge risk for a manager to take on given these facts

Carlisle - Won five on the bounce, currently in a League 2 play-off spot.

Chesterfield - Won one of last 24 games in the National League, currently 21st.

steve82

More bad press for Chesterfield after a altercation between a fan and the Ebbsfleet goalkeeper as celebrations spilled onto the pitch in what was a entertaining game by all accounts.

Cody McDonald helped Ebbsfleet into a 3-0 half time lead before the Chesterfield 2nd half revival which Marc-Antione Fortune also had a hand in bringing it back to 3-2 before a 95th minute equaliser by central defender Evans made it 3-3 which brought about the pitch invasion.

The game wasn’t done and the hero who scored the equaliser had to then go in goal as the Chesterfield keeper got himself sent off with goal scoring hero Evans going on to save the penalty to end the game 3-3.

Looks like the Ebbsfleet keeper was antagonising the Chesterfield fans and had been booked for time wasting not long before the chaos unfolded

Users who are viewing this thread