A trip to see Malaga CF (1 Viewer)

skybluegt

A Trip to Malaga FC

Having been invited to accompany a couple of x-pat CCFC fans, (Jason & John from Bedrock) to visit the home of Malaga CF, it was with a combination of fore-bearing and intrigue that I set off on Sunday 19th October. The arrangements were to meet in Harry’s bar at 14h00, for a 17h00 Kick-off with time for a quick pint before heading into deepest, darkest Malaga. We arrived at just before 3 o’clock and headed for the club shop for a look around. Feeling a little left out, the other guys all had Malaga shirts on, I plumped for a light-weight jacket with the club crest on, at least I would be ok if it peed down.
It was then time for a beer in one of the local hostelries, which I was reliably informed was home to the “Ultra’s” a group of Spanish skinhead’s, who dress themselves up as football fans once a week. Perhaps more re-assuring was the presence of the English Malaga supporters club, from Benalmadena, who have attached themselves to what is purported to be the biggest British supported club outside of the UK. They arrived by coach and quickly unfurled a huge George Cross flag, with Malaga CF emblazoned across the middle, and calmed the mood somewhat.
After taking in much needed liquid refreshment, we made our way to the Estadio La Rosaleda, and were presented with our “Free Programmes”, before taking our seats at the very top tier, behind the goal. It was a bit like the old “Crow’s Nest” at Highfield Road, in the old Spion Kop. It afforded us a great view, but was a real test of endurance if you needed the boy’s room!
One of our guys had purchased a packet of, what can only be described as bird seed. The trick was to crack open the shell, before devouring the nut from within, a trick which all the locals took great delight in achieving, before spitting the shell into the gangway, or Hood of the fan seated in front in my case. A challenge indeed lay ahead, and not a footballer in sight.
The players then arrived and the chanting started almost immediately, the atmosphere throughout the game was electric, with a group of fans to our right, which including the british contingent, singing their hearts out, from start to finish.
Against the run of play, Getafe, the visitors, took the lead. Malaga’s keeper Arnau (who resembled Dimi in more ways than one) made a hash of a long shot, which somehow found its way into the net. Roared on by the home support (19,761 to be exact) Malaga scored a deserved equaliser, from top scorer Baha, Before Duda scored a cracking goal to take the lead. HT 2 – 1
Having fought my way through the thousands of nut shells, I breathlessly made my way back up the steep incline, calves burning with pain, to my seat. The second half mirrored the first, with Malaga controlling play, without looking like scoring and the fans having a real ball. FT 2 – 1
And so the time had come to leave, with ¾ of our nuts still untouched, we attempted to make our way out through the millions of discarded shells, some of which seemed to cut out the daylight, after a long and sometimes difficult descent, we made our way back to the bar, and managed a couple more bottles of San Miguel at €1.00 per bottle, before heading back to Sunny Cabopino for something proper to eat. It wasn’t quite the Ricoh Arena, there was an atmosphere for a start, but a good day was had by all!
Next-up at home: Barcelona!

Nick

Administrator
I would love to go and watch some football abroad when on holiday (Or ever emigrate like you you lucky sod) and especially with beer at a euro a bottle!

Are Malaga in la liga then? Next time get some pics :)

Users who are viewing this thread