Admission to the Ricoh. (1 Viewer)

Irish Sky Blue

My son came around the house for his tea tonight. He works evenings and weekends so it is hard for him to get to many games. He was telling me that he tried to get into last night’s game.He finished work early so he thought he would get to the Ricoh for the second half. Having parked up he got to the stadium and looked for a turnstile to pay on. There wasn’t one open. There were loads of stewards outside as the doors were open for the half time smokers so he asked where he could pay to get in for the second half. They were less than helpful. Basically he just couldn’t get in. The ticket office was closed, they wouldn’t take his cash (he had the correct money) to pass on to the club later and they wouldn’t let him just wander in with the smokers at the end of half time. I don’t know if their is a club official on reception during the game and he didn’t think to go and see. However you would have thought if this was an option a steward would have pointed him that way.
I know that the amount of people wanting late admission would be minimal but surely there should be a procedure for those who arrive late to be able to get in. A few years ago I was delayed on the way to an away game at Bury. I arrived at half time and had no problem buying a ticket and getting in. Problems at the Ricoh may be due to the fact the club turns up on a match day and has no permenant base there and has no control of the stewarding either. It’s a shame though that someone trying to give them money was turned away. Annoying as me and son number 1 were sitting in the stadium oblivious to son number 2 being outside. I wish he had called me as I would have come down to have a word with the stewards and appeal to their better nature.

Last edited:

oucho

To be honest i think most clubs stop their ticketing operarion about 20 minutes into a game, he'd have had the same issue at most grounds. Stewards just not set up to answer the question of 'how can I buy an admission ticket' posed by a randomer at half time.

Irish Sky Blue

To be honest i think most clubs stop their ticketing operarion about 20 minutes into a game, he'd have had the same issue at most grounds. Stewards just not set up to answer the question of 'how can I buy an admission ticket' posed by a randomer at half time.
As mentioned above, not my experience at Bury.

Covstu

I knew someone who paid on the day, took him about 5 mins. Cost him 25 quid mind you!

Johnnythespider

Next time tell him to stroll up with a smoke and walk in for the second half with the smokers, job done. They should just open the gates at half time for waifs and strays to come in.

fatso

My son came around the house for his tea tonight. He works evenings and weekends so it is hard for him to get to many games. He was telling me that he tried to get into last night’s game.He finished work early so he thought he would get to the Ricoh for the second half. Having parked up he got to the stadium and looked for a turnstile to pay on. There wasn’t one open. There were loads of stewards outside as the doors were open for the half time smokers so he asked where he could pay to get in for the second half. They were less than helpful. Basically he just couldn’t get in. The ticket office was closed, they wouldn’t take his cash (he had the correct money) to pass on to the club later and they wouldn’t let him just wander in with the smokers at the end of half time. I don’t know if their is a club official on reception during the game and he didn’t think to go and see. However you would have thought if this was an option a steward would have pointed him that way.
I know that the amount of people wanting late admission would be minimal but surely there should be a procedure for those who arrive late to be able to get in. A few years ago I was delayed on the way to an away game at Bury. I arrived at half time and had no problem buying a ticket and getting in. Problems at the Ricoh may be due to the fact the club turns up on a match day and has no permenant base there and has no control of the stewarding either. It’s a shame though that someone trying to give them money was turned away. Annoying as me and son number 1 were sitting in the stadium oblivious to son number 2 being outside. I wish he had called me as I would have come down to have a word with the stewards and appeal to their better nature.
Are you surprised, we couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery.

SkyBlueSid

They should just open the gates at half time for waifs and strays to come in.
Many years ago that's what used to happen at Highfield Road. I had a couple of mates at school who never had any money, they would arrive outside at half time and wait for the gates to open about five minutes after the restart.

I also remember going to some away games at 'big' clubs where they had a late turnstile to let people in for half price after half time.

NortonSkyBlue

At the Crewe home game I got to the ground a half time and got in with my ticket at a turnstile. I think you sons issue may well have been that it was a cash sale and the till was closed.

Ashdown

Got caught in traffic going to Everton away back in the 90's, got there just before halftime on my tod, nice chap on the gate just let me in for nowt as the turnstile operators had gone in to watch the match.

M&B Stand

Man City away early 90’s on a Friday night, me and some lad from college made a last minute decision to go, got stuck on the M6 and didn’t arrive till half time, now in those days you couldn’t actually walk all the way around Maine Road without going down some alleyway between the houses. We walked down one of these ginnells and there was a few geezers stood around this little fire they’d lit, as we approached them one turned round holding a machete, wiping it like he was cleaning his reading glasses. I remember thinking this isn’t gonna end too well. He asked where we were going, we said we were trying to get into the match, he took us round to the home end kippax gates and called this steward over and said you’d better let these lads in and showed his machete. I didn’t wanna push my luck and say we wanted the away end!
The steward looked terrified and just ushered us through the gate. It was surreal.
My happiness was further increased when Wegerle equalised in the second half!

I think the SBA coach did their usual early start that day and there is a photo of them all at Granada Studios somewhere. Happy days.

Users who are viewing this thread