Andy Marshall (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

0,,10269~2935361,00.jpg

Former Coventry city goal-keeper will be out of contract this summer.

Andy Marshall could be a possible replacement for Westwood as the 36 year old doesn't look to be staying at Villa with no new's on them offering him a new deal.

Would anybody like to see Any Marshall as Westwood's replacement next season? could be a good cheap option.

CovScott88

Whilst he was a good keeper for us a few years ago, I would be very disappointed to see him signed as Westy's replacement.
We could do alot better, there are a few good keeper's that will be out of contract in the summer.

Rich

I think we should go for Almunia:welcome:. He's gotta be on his way out of Arsenal now.:)

rob9872

Well I imagine the young lads (Ireland and Quirke) will be given a new deal so signing AM who we all know can do a job, will give them another years experience and we will know a lot more about if either or both look up to the task by then.

I would imagine he is good to have around with his experience too and I would think Oggy having worked with him previously woudl be best placed to advise. If he's free, cheap and it means we can offer Marlon an improved deal with more wages available in the budget, then we could do a lot worse.

Pigeon

There is a lot of good goalie's floating around at the moment. However I think Marshall will look good to SISU as he's cheap. Wouldn't mind seeing him here for a few seasons until Quirke is old enough to break first team.

hamil99

Facebook User
Seriously!!! I thought he was shite the last season he played for us, that's why we let him go. We need better then that to compete in this league, our best bet is to loan in someone from the prem, whilest thorn does his magic scouting the lower leagues..

rob9872

wouldnt want marshall back here and quirke and ireland will never be good enough.

Fine if you don't want Marshall but what is your opinion of the young lads based on? I'm not saying you're wrong and your opinion is as valid as mine, but they were hardly likely to displace Westwood as he has been outstanding. The reason we let AM go in the first place was our staff rated Ireland enough to say that he was a competent deputy and from the very small piece if Quirke that we've seen in the first team it's hard not to be impressed with one so young.

You could of course be proved what, but have you seen enough of either to make that judgement at the moment?

ajsccfc

I'm not sure how anyone can say either of the young keepers will never be good enough, how often do we get to even see them play?

brinner

marshall, too old and was getting injury prone 2 seasons ago when here.

ireland, ive seen him numerous times for the reserves and has never filled me with any confidence whatsoever.

quirke is too small to ever make the grade as a top class keeper.

Il Pirata

Ideally I'd go for Alex Smithies but he'd cost money we probably don't have.

There are quite a few PL and Championship goalkeepers out of contract this summer, Hahnemann, C. Doyle, Cerny, Bywater, Mannone, Makalambay, J. Murphy, Alnwick, James.

Nonleagueherewecome

Seriously!!! I thought he was shite the last season he played for us, that's why we let him go. We need better then that to compete in this league, our best bet is to loan in someone from the prem, whilest thorn does his magic scouting the lower leagues..

Yep, I think that's my view. He did look like he was finished in his last season here. Made a few bad mistakes and just looked too slow. Keepers need reflexes, and I fear his are gone. 2 years in the stiffs at Villa won't exactly have aided that. Still, we'll probably get Bell from Scotland instead, who whilst unproven is at least younger. Although if we had any ambition whatsoever (SISU don't, naturally) it should be Lonergan from Preston.

rob9872

marshall, too old and was getting injury prone 2 seasons ago when here.

ireland, ive seen him numerous times for the reserves and has never filled me with any confidence whatsoever.

quirke is too small to ever make the grade as a top class keeper.

Danny Ireland is 20 which is incredibly young still for a keeper and we've not had a reserve side for four years, unless you have been privvy to the behind closed door friendlies that we occasionally have

Nonleagueherewecome

Ideally I'd go for Alex Smithies but he'd cost money we probably don't have.

There are quite a few PL and Championship goalkeepers out of contract this summer, Hahnemann, C. Doyle, Cerny, Bywater, Mannone, Makalambay, J. Murphy, Alnwick, James.

Any of those may do a job, but are probably out of our reach. Makalambay would be fun, but Alnwick would probably be the best. Plenty of unfulfilled potential & desire to play & prove a point after rotting in the reserves.
Mannone will probably stay at Arse, the rate they get 'keepers injured they need as many as they can get.

If we had money, I'd like Big Brad seeing as Villa are getting Westwood! He was linked with us last year..but unrealisticly.

brinner

Danny Ireland is 20 which is incredibly young still for a keeper and we've not had a reserve side for four years, unless you have been privvy to the behind closed door friendlies that we occasionally have
yes i saw him a fair few times in reserve games down liberty way 3 seasons ago and he was awful.
i then saw him play twice last year for forest green while down gloucester visiting my mate as he supports then and he didnt look like he had improved and my mate didnt rate him either.

id love him to prove me wrong and become and established keeper here as it would save the club £££ in the transfer market, just cant see it tho tbh.

rob9872

Fair enough then and like I said your opinion equally valid. I think if Oggy hadn't seen something in him though he'd have been gone by now and three years ago he was only 17.

I can't comment on the Forest Green thing as I never saw him, but all the reports were that he was doing ok as it was after a nasty injury and that he had performend well enough for them to extend it.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Goalkeeper was my position when I used to play. I'd be quite happy to come out of retirement if it helps! (And when I say retirement, I really do mean retirement!! :D )

Rocks

I've always been a Marshall fan but its really not sending out the right message if westy goes and he comes back. Youth is the future, literally!

Covstu

I liked Marshall but he was always a reserve keeper and not our first team. We can do better.

rob9872

I liked Marshall but he was always a reserve keeper and not our first team. We can do better.

He wasn't always our reserve keeper - he was player of the season too!

Users who are viewing this thread