Anniversary of the Blitz (1 Viewer)

daib0

this is a great article, goes into depth, and such poignant photos ... apologies if it's been posted but I did look and couldn't find it !

BBC News

The Coventry Blitz: 'Hysteria, terror and neurosis'

Article starts:

On 14 November 1940 the Luftwaffe launched its most devastating bombing raid of the Second World War so far. The target was Coventry, a manufacturing city in the heart of England with a beautiful medieval centre. The result was a shocking collapse of social order that caused thousands to flee and challenged notions of Britain's "Blitz spirit".

As dawn broke over a ruined city, a horrific scene of destruction greeted the survivors. Homes and factories were flattened and many buildings were consumed by flames so intense, the city's sandstone brickwork glowed red.

The air stank of burning flesh, and bodies, some mutilated beyond recognition, lay in the streets....

Worth a read: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-34746691

568 people lost their lives in this one raid. That would have such a huge impact.

I saw one night in November at the Belgrade a few years ago and it was fascinating. The old Blitz part of the transport Museum used to give a good feel for it too, must've been absolutely terrifying.

So what was it about the Coventry raid that made its effects so much more mentally dislocating than attacks on other British cities?
Historian Frederick Taylor says there was a feeling of betrayal among Coventry's residents at "perceived council negligence".
He said that a failure by the authorities to prepare for the war meant there was a lack of emergency water supplies, which thwarted firefighting efforts, and led to considerable extra destruction, most notoriously in the case of the cathedral

Last edited:

jimmyhillsfanclub

I find it interesting how its acknowledged that the people of Coventry's reaction to the bombing was far more extreme, full of panic & hysteria when compared to other British cities who suffered larger & more sustained raids....

there are some good theories in the article as to why the Coventry raid seemed to have a far more negative impact on the people & sense of society than in places like Liverpool, Bristol & London.

As the OP says....its a very good article by the BBC.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Kid

@ jimmyhillsfanclub..... A young German/Jewess, moved from London to Coventry stating that the "Airaid on Coventry was far worse than that of London". It also states that although it was percieved as bad council decisions...... The Luftwaffe's attack on Coventry was one of the heaviest and best-targeted raids up until that point. British intelligence had discovered days earlier a raid - codenamed Moonlight Sonata - was planned for the night of the next full moon, 14 November. But they did not know the target. The Germans had adopted a new communication system that the Allies could not read or jam. This left Coventry reliant on Britain's "completely inadequate" anti-aircraft defences. There were no aircraft or guns equipped with radar to combat a night-time raid. Prof Neil Forbes, of Coventry University, said: "Everything was in an appalling state as far as Britain was concerned. "Britain's air defences were poor. All of that would be dramatically improved by 1941 but in 1940, Britain was simply not prepared."

Sky Blue Kid

@ jimmyhillsfanclub..... A young German/Jewess, moved from London to Coventry stating that the "Airaid on Coventry was far worse than that of London". It also states that although it was percieved as bad council decisions...... The Luftwaffe's attack on Coventry was one of the heaviest and best-targeted raids up until that point. British intelligence had discovered days earlier a raid - codenamed Moonlight Sonata - was planned for the night of the next full moon, 14 November. But they did not know the target. The Germans had adopted a new communication system that the Allies could not read or jam. This left Coventry reliant on Britain's "completely inadequate" anti-aircraft defences. There were no aircraft or guns equipped with radar to combat a night-time raid. Prof Neil Forbes, of Coventry University, said: "Everything was in an appalling state as far as Britain was concerned. "Britain's air defences were poor. All of that would be dramatically improved by 1941 but in 1940, Britain was simply not prepared."

jimmyhillsfanclub

Yeah..I read the article.

Just saying its interesting how the Coventry peoples reaction is reported & acknowledged as rather unique in its trauma, panic etc. when compared to Liverpool, for example, (my adopted home) where the bombing started a few months before Coventry, they were bombed heavier than Coventry & more often than Coventry, but the masses within the city reacted differently.

Same as Bristol, Plymouth, Glasgow etc.

Just an interesting peculiarity....that's all.

lifeskyblue

I think the fact the Germans coined a new word 'coventrate' shows they thought it was different. The concentrated bombing of time and area coverage was I believe more extreme than previous raids on other cities and took all by surprise.
It is not the breakdown in morale etc that surprises me but the speed in which the public overcame it. Unbelievable resilience.
The short film of people filing past the mass grave paying their respects was particularly harrowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Covstu

Fantastic but very strong and emotional article. Just amazing to think that 450 bombers could cut across the country unchecked and have a free reign on our city.
This article shows how the people of Coventry are resilient and wouldnt back down.

On a similar note, i got a letter from the council about a human chain (which apprently they do in Dresden every year) is to be formed outside the catherdral to remember this event 75 years ago. Should be a good event.

mechaishida

I think the fact the Germans coined a new word 'coventrate' shows they thought it was different

My nan, who lived through The Blitz, once told me about the expression the Germans used but none of my useless History teachers even knew about it. My nan was one of 11 children, her three eldest brothers were sent off to the frontlines while the rest of them tried their utmost just to carry on in the face of such a drastic and truly awful situation. Walking to school (not knowing if it was still there) amidst rubble, bodies and desolation? It's astonishing.

They were made of sterner stuff in those days, and my old nan, God rest her soul, was as tough as they came. Their legacy of courage is often lost to the annals, sadly.

lifeskyblue

I come on here as a good-natured away fan, and I'm delighted that this thread has produced so many interesting replies lads. :claping hands: Doesn't matter what club you are, there is always a lot to learn about our common recent history ...

Yes daib football fans are more than the mindless idiots often portrayed by some parts of the media. The way we come together when rival clubs are in difficulty or when a fan of one club has recently died in tragic circumstances. I am often overcome when I witness away fans, teams and managers stand respectively or join applause when the people being remembered are not known to them.
I expect fans of all teams at all games today (football and rugby) to mark the events in Paris...might be minute silence or spontaneous chanting of a French players name or singing the la Marseilles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread