annoyed that I don't understand... (1 Viewer)

tommydazzle

The theory of relativity. Have tried many times to understand time dilation in a layman's terms rather than the maths. In other words, why does going extremely fast mean that time actually slows down for you relative to someone who is slower or stationary? Over the years I've tried to grasp this but it's always just eluded me as a phenomenon which can be explained in practical terms. If there are any physicists on here who know of a really clear explanation of how speed (and gravity) could mean that you could be younger than your own children etc.

Otis

The theory of relativity. Have tried many times to understand time dilation in a layman's terms rather than the maths. In other words, why does going extremely fast mean that time actually slows down for you relative to someone who is slower or stationary? Over the years I've tried to grasp this but it's always just eluded me as a phenomenon which can be explained in practical terms. If there are any physicists on here who know of a really clear explanation of how speed (and gravity) could mean that you could be younger than your own children etc.
I just decided to enjoy life instead.

richnrg

the faster you go the younger you get. A good example is the walzers at the fun fair. If you go at a slow speed then you won't notice the difference, but if the gyppo spins your car around like a lunatic then you'll go back in time and shit yourself and puke everywhere like when you were a baby.
QED

Otis

the faster you go the younger you get. A good example is the walzers at the fun fair. If you go at a slow speed then you won't notice the difference, but if the gyppo spins your car around like a lunatic then you'll go back in time and shit yourself and puke everywhere like when you were a baby.
Yeah, that's it in a nutshell.

tommydazzle

So in layman's terms our fastest ever player - probably John Williams, is a little bit younger than he should be compared to our slowest ever player - insert name here......?

tommydazzle

I suppose I should pay attention to the great philosopher, Clint Eastwood who said that a man's got to know his limitations.
I do like a challenge though and trying to understand difficult things like relativity, why tea tastes better if somebody else makes it, why Mrs Brown's Boys is prime time BBC comedy and why my dog's feet always smell of stale biscuits are all things that exercise my mind.

Otis

I suppose I should pay attention to the great philosopher, Clint Eastwood who said that a man's got to know his limitations.
I do like a challenge though and trying to understand difficult things like relativity, why tea tastes better if somebody else makes it, why Mrs Brown's Boys is prime time BBC comedy and why my dog's feet always smell of stale biscuits are all things that exercise my mind.
Mrs Brown's Boys is too dumbed down even for me.

Gazolba

I'm still trying to figure out where all my odd socks went. I now have a whole bag of mismatched socks. No matching one for them to be found anywhere. I wish some of these top scientists would devote a little time to solving this problem. My theory is they have passed into some kind of parallel universe which is full of socks.

pastythegreat

I'm still trying to figure out where all my odd socks went. I now have a whole bag of mismatched socks. No matching one for them to be found anywhere. I wish some of these top scientists would devote a little time to solving this problem. My theory is they have passed into some kind of parallel universe which is full of socks.
It's because they went that fast in the final spin in the washing machine they went back in time to when they were just a strand of cotton

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

clint van damme

watch hot tub time machine. It explains it all in laymans terms.

Johnnythespider

If there are any physicists on here who know of a really clear explanation of how speed (and gravity) could mean that you could be younger than your own children etc.[/QUOTE]
I think you've got the wrong theory, this would be the theory of relatives.
I always find that when I work faster the time passes quicker, and when I work slower the day drags, thus I have decided that Einstein never did a days work in his life and is therefore talking bollocks.

Captain Dart

Its all relative mate.

Captain Dart

It's because they went that fast in the final spin in the washing machine they went back in time to when they were just a strand of cotton

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Johnnythespider

Do you know anybody with one leg ?

Gazolba

I had a break-through today in the missing sock enigma. I was doing some tidying up in a corner of my daughter's room that has not been disturbed in years, when what did I come across but a SECOND BAG OF MISMATCHED SOCKS. Now I either never knew or have forgotten about this other bag. So now I just need to find the other bag of mismatched socks and start matching up with the new bag (or old bag). Of course, I'm still expecting some socks not to match up and I will be saving these socks in a new ultra-mismatched socks bag.

Users who are viewing this thread