Anyone know much about employment law on here? (1 Viewer)

olderskyblue

Does sound like we're descending into gossip now though

And that can be dangerous... Not wishing to divert this, but a story of how gossip can be trouble

A place I worked at a long time ago, the secretaries/typists had heard from a girl at a different office, that I was having an affair with someone she worked with. As there was a Christmas do coming up soon, where this other girl would be there, they agreed that if i brought my wife, then it couldn't be true, but if i didn't, then obviously it was true.

So, when I walked in with my wife, their plan changed to "the bastard, he's brought his wife anyway.." :jawdrop:

I knew nothing of any of this, but my secretary grabbed a dance with me later, and told me the story. I explained that there was 2 people in our office with my surname, and, co-incidentally, the other guy visits the other office regularly... The penny dropped, and the dance ended abruptly with the seccy rushing over to tell the girls this latest news. :)

Gossip... Can be dangerous. In Otis' story, I don't know why the guy actually took statements, i think that was wrong, but any gossip in them could ruin his case anyway.

Otis

Yep, indeed. Exactly the reason I told my wife just to factually state what she actually saw and heard and to leave out any personal dislike she has for this woman.

If it comes across as people want rid of her because they don't like working with her, then that only strengthens this employees case.

olderskyblue

Yep, indeed. Exactly the reason I told my wife just to factually state what she actually saw and heard and to leave out any personal dislike she has for this woman

The biggest surprise here is that your wife actually listened to you?? ;)

Malaka

If a worker is going to be disciplined, they have the right to challenge any evidence that is collated. They usually have three days to view the information. The employer should not have told the staff that their testimony was confidential (if indeed they did).
This process is clearly laid out in ACAS directives.
The employee should have had the shortfalls pointed out prior to their dismissal to give them the chance to change their attitude. Unless it falls under the realm of gross misconduct.

Otis

If a worker is going to be disciplined, they have the right to challenge any evidence that is collated. They usually have three days to view the information. The employer should not have told the staff that their testimony was confidential (if indeed they did).
This process is clearly laid out in ACAS directives.
The employee should have had the shortfalls pointed out prior to their dismissal to give them the chance to change their attitude. Unless it falls under the realm of gross misconduct.
The staff were all told that their witness statements were confidential.

Users who are viewing this thread