Article: Contracts - To Be or Not To Be? (1 Viewer)

rob9872

You asked for comments so brace yourself (sorry in advance!) ...

I'm not advocating the grammar police should be able to criticise on this open forum like this (we were down that road on here a few weeks back and it got quite heated with unnecessary stuff from both sides), but I think in article it has to be much better than that. I know it's your first offering but if you accept constructive criticism then you will not be upset at this, but look to improve and double check.

As for the content, well it's not really saying much and is about almost a week out of date now and something that we are all aware of. It's written no better than just a normal thread on here and includes some unfounded speculation as we have nothing to suggest that Leicester is even a viable option for Westwood so no need to mention them.

I'm also not sure how valid those contract offers are since as far as I know we can't officially offer contracts to players whilst a transfer embargo remains in place although I'm not 100% on this.

Sorry if it sounds a bit harsh and as you say it is your first effort. If I'm being kind 3/10 for me :(

keBaB

Haven't read your article yet so can't comment on that, but some constructive criticism for rob; even when transfer embargoed, you are allowed to re-sign your own players, including offering improved contracts...

Canningt: I'm a teacher and although I'm not using proper spelling, punctuation and grammar, I've still got a valid point: writing is something you develop, you won't get it right every time, and certainly not straight away. Keep at it and keep submitting your work.

PUSB!

rob9872

Thanks KeBaB. I did say I wasn't 100% although are you? Not disagreeing just wondered if it was something you knew. The reason I suggested it was the case was after reading about Plymouth some months back. I know their situation is different, but the article I read (http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/EMBARGO-SET-LIFTED/article-3081018-detail/article.html) included the quote "Wright-Phillips would have been out of contract with the Pilgrims at the end of this season. And, because of their transfer embargo, they could not even discuss the possibility of offering him a new deal beyond then."

Richard Smith

well i am certianly not a person who can comment on spelling or grammer:) but as to the article i found it easy to read and intrested me throughout so good job pal

Coventry La La La

You asked for comments so brace yourself (sorry in advance!) ...

I'm not advocating the grammar police should be able to criticise on this open forum like this (we were down that road on here a few weeks back and it got quite heated with unnecessary stuff from both sides), but I think in article it has to be much better than that. I know it's your first offering but if you accept constructive criticism then you will not be upset at this, but look to improve and double check.

As for the content, well it's not really saying much and is about almost a week out of date now and something that we are all aware of. It's written no better than just a normal thread on here and includes some unfounded speculation as we have nothing to suggest that Leicester is even a viable option for Westwood so no need to mention them.

I'm also not sure how valid those contract offers are since as far as I know we can't officially offer contracts to players whilst a transfer embargo remains in place although I'm not 100% on this.

Sorry if it sounds a bit harsh and as you say it is your first effort. If I'm being kind 3/10 for me :(

Would love to see you writing some articles up Rob. :)

rob9872

Depends how much you're paying :)

bamalamafizzfazz

Rob I said exactly the same a few days ago about the transfer embargo but got shot down. I suggested maybe that was the reason it took the club as long as it did to give the job to Thorn. I wish we could get this cleared up once and for all. My understanding is that the embargo is still in place which would mean you can renegotiate existing contracts but your Plymouth research suggests different.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Section 4 para 16:20:3 Football League regulations. http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20100801/section-4-clubs_2293633_2125725#16

"to refuse any application by that Championship Club to register any player or any new contract of an existing player of that club if the executive reasonably deems that it is necessary in order to secure that Championship club complies with its obligations ......."

so embargo applies to new and existing players....
the obligations are ....
1) to pay its liabilities to employees and creditors as they fall due (ie is a going concern)
2) to fulfill its fixtures in the league
3) to provide all rights etc to enable League to meet its commercial and broadcasting contracts

in addition
4) the club also has to file its accounts on time and
5) notify the league if HMRC are not paid on time.

League can impose embargo if these obligations not met

Hope this helps clarify

Last edited:

rob9872

Thanks OSB - I knew you'd know!

I was trawling the net but came up with a blank :)

blueflint

if you have something to say say it enjoy the crack and don't let anyone spoil your enjoyment .

smileycov

Facebook User
Surely though if we were not able to sign the players up, we would not have offered contracts in the first place!! Andy Thorn, said in his piece that he actually handed the 3 players there offers personally. Now SISU lie through there teeth, but i doubt very much Thorn (who does seem genuienly happy) would come out publicly if not true. I am gonna put my neck on the line and say King and Gunna will sign, and if no Prem club is forthcoming and it has all been speculation then westy will stay too!!

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Think it is highly likely they make the offers and it is nothing underhand. Both the club and players need to know where they stand. If the offers are not good enough then the embargo is irrelevant. If the offers are tempting it shows intent by the club and the player knows he is wanted, the wheels would then be in motion to sign contracts as soon as the embargo lifted.

I have no doubt that AT made the offers but thats a ways off registering a player with the league. So no deception by anyone.

.... and no probs Rob ... always glad to help :)

L

LLCoolCal

IM sorry, for me Marlon King (jamaican) should not even be in this country after the recent prison spell , and although you can make a mistake, this is NOT his first brush with the law for violence.

Im a bit ashamed we took him , i know he scored goals but as I work in Law enforcement it leaves a bad taste and as a Jamaican national I have no idea how he has not been deported.

rob9872

Because we believe in giving people chances in this country and not some draconian law that is long past it's sell by date. He's served his time and is no worse than a large % of footballers who haven't been caught. I'll take my moral compass from my family and leave the football things to those like Marlon who can play it to a much greater standard than sadly I was blessed with.

BurbageSkyBlues

Osb58 - the rule said

If the executive reasonably deems it necessary to ensure the club meets it's obligations

Perhaps the recent £8m investment from sisu had obligated this, so the executive could not reasonably prevent contracts to existing players, and feels that it is adequate to embargo new player contracts?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Clearly the League still believes that the club is still substantially in breach of its regulations as the embargo is still in place. I dont think there is a distinction between new and existing players in the regulation. I suppose they could make the distinction if they see fit but why........ the regulation is there to encourage compliance as quickly as possible.

It will be interesting to see if SISU did actually put £8m in to pay the debts. The figure seems to go from several to £7m to £8m and it was only to get us to the end of the season The league would require up to date info plus an adequate financial plan going forward to release the embargo. None of which is unreasonable

Last edited:

Jimthor

IM sorry, for me Marlon King (jamaican) should not even be in this country after the recent prison spell , and although you can make a mistake, this is NOT his first brush with the law for violence.

Im a bit ashamed we took him , i know he scored goals but as I work in Law enforcement it leaves a bad taste and as a Jamaican national I have no idea how he has not been deported.

He's English and as has been mentioned above, was born in London. He qualifies for the Jamaican national side by virtue of one of his parents being from there.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
what is an embargo?

League Rule that stops the club signing new players if they do not get their affairs in order...... CCFC have broken several rules including not paying other teams and Inland Revenue on time, and not filing accounts on time with League & Company House

sw88

Chief Commentator!

If you do work in law, should you not act a bit more professionally and get your facts right?

I think his nationality (even though as pointed out he was born in London, ENGLAND) would have nothing to do with his punishment.

Users who are viewing this thread