Article: How Much Have We Missed Carsley? (1 Viewer)

rob9872

Certainly missed his experience, organisation and leadership but I'm in a minority of people who think he wasn't great to begin with.

His absent run has coincided with missing other players through injury/suspension and playing the better teams at the top end of the table. Add a lack of confidence/belief and a recipe for going on the kind of run we have and it looks better. Before this run we were papering over the cracks with some good fortune thankfully) and an infalted lofty position buoyed by the exact opposite of some luck, players fit, confident and playing none of the top sides.

Funny old game, but then there wouldn't be much point in a forum if we all agreed alll the time.

Dinyull

I'm one of the few that don't think we should have signed him in the first place (along with McSheff and O'Halleran).

Reason:
Injury prone last season for Brum and @ the age of 36 was a massive ask to expect him to play a big part this season, which he was expected to do. He was never going to play over 25 games this season so he was always going to be 'missed'.

Don't think him being injured has made too much difference to us though as he was shocking before injury.

I would say we lost a leader and nobody has really stepped into these shoes. Agreed not great, but doing a very important job that we have definately missed. For me he cleared a hell of a lot of balls just infront of the defence and put himself about.

rob9872

SHOCKOMETER - great post :D

Walking Bird

Seems no coincidence that without a leader on the pitch we have emulated exactly what we did last season when we were as equally rudderless.
Carsley's best days may be behind him but i can't imagine the gutless & fightless games i've witnessed lately would have been so bad if Carsley had been present.

Dinyull

Seems no coincidence that without a leader on the pitch we have emulated exactly what we did last season when we were as equally rudderless.
Carsley's best days may be behind him but i can't imagine the gutless & fightless games i've witnessed lately would have been so bad if Carsley had been present.

Around the same time King was introduced.

Around the same time Turner and McPake suffered injuries.

At the time of his injury (when we as a team were playing well and getting results) he was our weak link with many fans calling for him to be dropped, he even came out and said he hadn't been good enough. If we relied on Carsley's experience so much how come we didn't have anyone of his ilk the past few years?!?! We've had bad runs in the past few years but nowt like this.

rob9872

Well we would have missed him less if:

We hadn't also lost McPake and Turner
We had no suspensions from Gunnar or Marlon
We had Sammy was fit and firing (and dare I say reserves of Osbourne and Deegan)
We didn't sell Doyle or our promising apprentice who play in similar positions
We had some pace in wide areas
We were strong on the ball and took responsibility
We had a crowd who were not only strong in numbers but like a 12th man in terms of atmosphere
We invested in our playing squad
We had some luck occasionally that wasn't bad
We had a manager who was given time to shape his squad
We didn't get sh*t refs every single week

Apart from that as I said above then, yep we missed his leadership, organisation and experience

Snozzer

The team certainly lacks a leader but don't think we're missing Carsley at all, for me his legs have gone and he wasn't influencing games at all even when fully fit. Ben Turner has been a far bigger loss than Carsley.

ccfctommy

I think we miss him a lot, yes he's 36 but he was good for sitting in front of the back four. Good tackler and passer of the ball aswell.

Its a shame because that may have been the last we have seen of him in a City shirt :(

CovLis86

I think he was a good footballing brain with past it legs now. I was hoping he would do the job for one last season, but to be honest he always looked like he was struggling a bit to me. Coaching role next season would surely be a good move though.

Coventry La La La

I think he will be Cookie but would it be worth the risk playing him at say 40-60% not match-fit with not many games to go for him to regain his fitness/form?

CovLis86

Wouldnt be worth risking him until he was 100% due to him not being that impactive ( in my opinion) and its not Centre mids who are our most pressing concern at the moment.

Sutty

Is he gonna be back before the end of this season?

Doubt it. Turner was supposed to be out for 6 weeks, and it looks like it's going to be 6 months. Deegan's been out for about a year. Osbourne's been out forever. McPake's a goner. Seems like anyone who breaks a toenail at the moment is out for the season.

Pigeon

I've heard he's got to have another operation now. Not sure how true that is but I don't expect to see him again this season:(

Disorganised1

Well we would have missed him less if:

We hadn't also lost McPake and Turner
We had no suspensions from Gunnar or Marlon
We had Sammy was fit and firing (and dare I say reserves of Osbourne and Deegan)
We didn't sell Doyle or our promising apprentice who play in similar positions
We had some pace in wide areas
We were strong on the ball and took responsibility
We had a crowd who were not only strong in numbers but like a 12th man in terms of atmosphere
We invested in our playing squad
We had some luck occasionally that wasn't bad
We had a manager who was given time to shape his squad
We didn't get sh*t refs every single week

Apart from that as I said above then, yep we missed his leadership, organisation and experience

God Loves a City Fan.

Users who are viewing this thread