Ashes 17/18 Thread (1 Viewer)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Seeing as the first tour game has started today.
Runs for everyone bar Cook & Root admittedly against a weak attack but good for the less experienced batsmen on tour.

It's going to be a long one especially with no Stokes (yet!?)

Annoyingly the Aussie batting line up isn't tht much stronger than ours and we have a better 6-8 with the bat (even without Stokes) in Bairstow, Ali & Woakes.

I just think the Aussie pace attack is quicker and superior to ours and will cause all sorts of problems for the England batsmen especially first 30 overs of the innings!

Anyway I cannot see anything other than a comfortable Australia win at the minute.
Get Stokes there and we have a slight chance!

Terry Gibson's perm

I think it will be a win for the convicts 3 2 as you say I think their pace attack may be too much, Stokes is a big miss and I still don’t think they have an opening partner for Cook

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I think it will be a win for the convicts 3 2 as you say I think their pace attack may be too much, Stokes is a big miss and I still don’t think they have an opening partner for Cook

I think Stoneman will have a decent series funnily enough. My bet would be for him to average more than Cook.....(I think he may have a bad winter not sure why though)

Terry Gibson's perm

I think Stoneman will have a decent series funnily enough. My bet would be for him to average more than Cook.....(I think he may have a bad winter not sure why though)

I think cook will score 50% more than stone man but let's see

Gazolba

I think either of our openers will be lucky to get into double figures in any test.
As before, it's going to come down to our middle and lower order to rescue us.
Not very optimistic about the outcome of this series.
Losing Stokes will be an unmitigated disaster; it's like losing two players.

D

Deleted member 4232

As a New Zealander, I always look forward to the Ashes. Any side playing Australia gets my support.

My fear however, is that England just don’t seem strong enough. The Stokes controversy (I'm fine that he plays for England) couldn’t have come at a worse time.

We will see. It’s live sport, live drama, that’s why we watch, it’s why we love it; anything can happen.

chiefdave

Not even started yet and things aren't looking good for England. How long are they going to wait and see if the police charge Stokes with anything, been a while now, surely with witnesses and video footage they would have done something by now if they were going to.

Gazolba

No-one can even get a good score against their also-rans. When their top fast bowlers rip into us, it's going to be mayhem.

chiefdave

I can't see past 5-0 at the moment. England don't seem in great form and leaving Stokes out has removed any chance of being competitive. The injuries seem to be piling up as well.

Gazolba

The women's Ashes first test is in progress now.
England batting, were at 129-1, slipped to 235-7 and now all out for 280..
Aussies are 38-0 at the moment.

Last edited:

Gazolba

Neither Cook nor Root seem to be able to build a big score.
Cook out for 32, Root out for 1, Malan for 5.

Ian1779

Think there is something endemically wrong with England - and it goes all the way to the top. IMO we need to get rid of Strauss, Flower and all their yes men in the set up if we want to move forward.

I hope I'm wrong but I think we will be embarrassed. We are a team full of bits and bobbers and very few strands of real talent.

eastwoodsdustman

I'm in a minority here but I think we'll do ok. We have 3 decent batsmen in Cook, Root and Bairstowl, They have Smith and Warner when he comes off. Woakes is as quick as anyone on his day and will fit the 3rd seamer position as well or better than Stokes in my opinion. The Aussies are trying to build up one or two of their own players in the media which is a bit of a smokescreen as they've only really got Mitchell Starc who'll be a handful from a bowling perspective.
My real concern is with our spinners, but they only have Nathan Lyon who is no better that Ali in reality so doubt they're any better off than us.

Gazolba

Australia are clever, they've deliberately got out to our weak bowlers so we'll pick them for the Test.
Then in the Test, they'll hammer them to the boundary every other ball.

Gazolba

Australia thumping England's women in the first Test.
Perry has 138 not out now, with 21 boundaries.

Mcbean

50 lead - I do like Charlie Dagnall I hope He does some of the test - better day for the boys

Gazolba

Australia thumping England's women in the first Test.
Perry has 138 not out now, with 21 boundaries.
Ended up with 213 not out, the last 2 balls of her final over she got a 4 then a 6.
Magnificent innings.
Unfortunately, video does not appear to be available anywhere.

Gazolba

Everyone raving about Overton's bowling contribution, but did you notice that with the bat he got a duck in both innings.
We're going to need a good tail-end in this series.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Good to see he's going into the series on form, could do with a few of the others following suit!

Bairstow left the field injured but returned.

Users who are viewing this thread