Atherstone resign from Southern League (1 Viewer)

dutchman

Saturday Dec 18

"After massive deliberation and soul searching, The Atherstone Town Board have requested to step down a league in order to make continuation a more viable option. Please see more information.

Copy of letter sent to the Southern Football League@

Dear Jason

It is with great sadness and reluctance that we, Atherstone Town Football Club,
have to advise of our notification to resign from the Southern Football League at
the end of the current season (2010-2011)

The decision has taken considerable thought and deliberation. Unfortunately, current
economic circumstances mean that we are unable to continue with the level of costs
required to maintain a football club at this level.

We are in the same position that many clubs find themselves. Ironically, in terms of
non-debt, we are in a comfortable position, but our capacity to raise income is very
limited.

We wish the Southern Football League a happy Christmas and all the best for the
future. When our finances permit and fortune favours us on the pitch, we also hope
one day to make a return. A sad day for all at Atherstone Football club.

on behalf of the Board
Atherstone Town Football Club "

dutchman

Hasn't it only been like five years since they have reformed!?
Yep!

Atherstone Town manager Dale Belford has blamed the way the Zamaretto League is regionalised for the club's decision to resign because of travel costs.
The Adders have signalled their intention to drop down to the Midland Alliance at the end of the season.
"The extra travelling has put an unbelievable strain on the resources of the football club," Belford told BBC Coventry & Warwickshire.
"Whoever made the decision to put us in this league has a lot to answer for."
The Sheepy Road outfit, formed in 2004 after the liquidation of Atherstone United, are currently 14th in the Zamaretto Central and had already announced they could no longer run a playing budget this season.

But Belford has refused to blame anyone at the club for the financial problems.
"The board have been fantastic for this football club because without those types of people there wouldn't be a football club at Atherstone Town.
"As a player I always wanted to play at the highest level and it's the same with my managerial career.
"I'm looking at this being a long-term thing for me but unfortunately at the moment there's nothing else the club can do."

Users who are viewing this thread