Ben Sheaf in depth (1 Viewer)

wingy

Just like to say me and Frostie were basically a two man Sheaf defence force for half the first season so all you pretender Johnny come latelies can do one.
, reject noise from Catchphrase says not sure about but no question no one was more an advocate of his than I!!

Mucca Mad Boys

Eccles or Torp not good enough then ? Sheaf was outstanding on Saturday but Eccles was also very good alongside him and was praised by McCoist on numerous occasions for doing the understated bits alongside Sheaf
Good enough for what? Clearly both are good enough for our squad for where we currently are at. Longer term, if we want to get promotion and stay up, we will need to improve in that area.

Our CMs last season were Sheaf and Hamer - just imagine how good we’d be if we had both this season.

Martin180

Good enough for what? Clearly both are good enough for our squad for where we currently are at. Longer term, if we want to get promotion and stay up, we will need to improve in that area.

Our CMs last season were Sheaf and Hamer - just imagine how good we’d be if we had both this season.
They weren’t though were they ? Both Eccles and Kelly were instrumental in the road to the play off final !
Do you honestly think Torp or Eccles have no improvement in them ?

Martin180

Sorry but I’m going to call this further . Ben Sheaf is now 26 and in his prime and ready for a premier league move .
How helpful is it to suggest 23 year old Josh Eccles and 24 year old Victor Torp are squad players at best ? Honestly just pathetic !

Mucca Mad Boys

They weren’t though were they ? Both Eccles and Kelly were instrumental in the road to the play off final !
Do you honestly think Torp or Eccles have no improvement in them ?
That’s not what I said at all. Let’s not kid ourselves that our team needs improvement to get to the next level. Without Sheaf, we were beaten in midfield against Norwich, PNE and WBA in my view. In fact, we immediately looked a better side as soon as Sheaf came on against Watford.

Besides, Eccles, Sheaf and Torp isn’t enough cover for a 50+ game season. It’s the most attritional position. Perhaps you include Allen in that but he’s favoured more as a AM if we’re at full strength. I’m not an ITK at all, but there’s just no chance we don’t sign a CM or 2 in the summer window.

Martin180

That’s not what I said at all. Let’s not kid ourselves that our team needs improvement to get to the next level. Without Sheaf, we were beaten in midfield against Norwich, PNE and WBA in my view. In fact, we immediately looked a better side as soon as Sheaf came on against Watford.

Besides, Eccles, Sheaf and Torp isn’t enough cover for a 50+ game season. It’s the most attritional position. Perhaps you include Allen in that but he’s favoured more as a AM if we’re at full strength. I’m not an ITK at all, but there’s just no chance we don’t sign a CM or 2 in the summer window.
Now I agree with you . For squad progression I see both Kelly and Allen leaving and , for sure , two more signings but they will be in the Torp mould of development

Yorkshire SB

Sheaf used to make mistakes because of his age and experience. When you’re playing centre midfield and receiving the ball under pressure, you will make mistakes and lose it. We had to bear those mistakes. 100 or so games later, after 1000s of times receiving the ball under pressure, he’s close to faultless, knows when to speed it up and slow it down, how to use his body, where to turn, when to nudge it back first time, etc.

I think Bobby Thomas is a bit guilty of this, in a different way. Makes passes he shouldn’t, and the team gets caught out and he looks as though he isn’t focused. It’s teething issues though, his passing is sharp and crisp and he’s confident in his ability. He’ll go to the top level too.

Brylowes

Sheaf is a great player & still improving, it’s no coincidence we lost our shape & dipped in form during his absence, a real ball winner with great vision, poise & presence.
Even if we achieve promotion I think we’ll struggle to hang on to him this summer, our best & most important player, he will definitely be catching the eye of many clubs.
Huge future for him I think.

Last edited:

Brylowes

Sheaf was brilliant on Saturday. However, his failed sliding interception was the first of four errors in the build up to their second goal.
He’s also occasionally prone to the odd ‘infuriating errant close range pass’ he’s not Xavi, but he contributes so much & improves us as a team immeasurably.

I guarantee teams higher up the football ladder than us will be looking at him as perspective captain material,

Sky Blue Pete

Sheaf used to make mistakes because of his age and experience. When you’re playing centre midfield and receiving the ball under pressure, you will make mistakes and lose it. We had to bear those mistakes. 100 or so games later, after 1000s of times receiving the ball under pressure, he’s close to faultless, knows when to speed it up and slow it down, how to use his body, where to turn, when to nudge it back first time, etc.

I think Bobby Thomas is a bit guilty of this, in a different way. Makes passes he shouldn’t, and the team gets caught out and he looks as though he isn’t focused. It’s teething issues though, his passing is sharp and crisp and he’s confident in his ability. He’ll go to the top level too.
Kitching passing against wolves was beautiful his first time pass to haji for the equaliser was so so good

Jamesimus

His early mistakes were all proper high profile clangers, super obvious and led to goals / chances.

But you could see he had good technique, just lacked confidence and hadn’t settled. He has also got better at basically everything he did well before.

mmttww

Fucking busted there. Excellent spreadsheeting. 🤣

Bbc One Mate GIF by BBC

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Patiently waiting for @Earlsdon_Skyblue1 to come along and tell us he’s not that good. 😉

I think he's very good! I genuinely think he is a fantastic player. He's also continuously improving like a large amount of signings under Robins.

My issue is that some people talk like he's better than prime Pirlo, and cannot accurately evaluate matches as their brains have already auto-mapped what they want to see, going into denial should he ever put a foot wrong or in many cases over-celebrating a simple move that other players wouldn't get credit for. That then also shits on Eccles as a direct consequence which I don't think is fair.

I've been pretty consistent on this, and whilst it is fun to play the pantomime villain, I do in fact rate him. In terms of next season, I think he will stay. Getting a fee for him the same as Hamer (which is what people are saying on here) seems also an exaggeration. He doesn't have the goal contributions and I'm not sure someone would be prepared to offer us such silly money that we couldn't turn it down. That's good for us!

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

The funny thing about an online forum is that it is like a book. You paint your own picture about what a character is like in real life based on their behaviour. All this guy needs is a packet of cocaine and a name badge with 'Boosh' on it. Who's the real loser?

1710848839750.png

Users who are viewing this thread