Best Defender in the last 10 years (1 Viewer)

stevo_ccfc

Based on success after his city career probably Scott Dann

Prior to that a really liked Roland Nilsson

Current best has to be Cranie

rob9872

I thought Dann was decent for us, but tbh I never rated him as great. Happy to be proved wrong now he's gone on to better things, but I genuinely believe that we have too. I think Cranie reads the game better and his distribution is better than Dann's and I think Turner is stronger in the tackle and better in the air than Dann.

Central defenders for me are only as good as their partner and we have a few combinations now. My preferred is Turner and Cranie. Keogh is more than capable there too, but I would like to have him at RB as there is nobody to match him there currently.

pusbccfc

Scott dann
Craine
Davenport

In all fairness we have had a fair few decent defenders

@richh87

As someone's already said, I'd only put Scott Dann in there because of what he's done since leaving.

For City performances i'd put Cranie above Dann. Turner up until he got injured last season was the best of all though.

Edit* Roland Nilsson wins by a mile.

Last edited:

skybluesteve76

Scott Dann? No way Pedro! Big Mo was better than him, Calum Davenport was more consistent than him. But the best has got to be Nilsson by a thousand miles, surely!?

rob9872

No ADZ? :D

@richh87

Scott Dann? No way Pedro! Big Mo was better than him, Calum Davenport was more consistent than him. But the best has got to be Nilsson by a thousand miles, surely!?

Big Mo was a fans favourite, but mostly because he went on long runs upfield. I wouldn't say he's good enough defensively to get into the top 3 centre backs.

Roland Nilsson was world class - no exaggeration. Nilsson is the best defender we've had in my lifetime.

skybluesteve76

Granted Mo was a fans favourite, but he came up against some world class players for us in the premier league and did very well. Ive not seen Scott Dann play at that level so can't really comment.

rob9872

Granted Mo was a fans favourite, but he came up against some world class players for us in the premier league and did very well. Ive not seen Scott Dann play at that level so can't really comment.

I didn't remember much of Mo in the PL so I googled him. According to Wiki Mo only played 19 games in the PL over the two seasons one of which we were relegated.

I was more surprised to learn we paid £2m for him. He was a bit of a cult figure and I liked him, but that seems a hell of a lot.

rob9872

Well made point - I thought it was odd that IO didn't get a comparison because he is clearly the best all time ever and RN was only the best in the PL. Thanks for pointing out.

Rocks

Big Mo is a good shout. What about Colin Hendry? He wa bunk for us but he was a good player in his day. Shaw always has to be mentioned, dreads alone!

Also, what the hell has happened to Davenport? I heard he was cleared of all charges in connection wth assult on his sis. Is he still at Wooten? We should get him back and resurect his career. Just make sure he doesnt get good again and screws us over for brum.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Roland Nilsson
However since we have been relagted I would say Dann

Last edited:

Johnnythespider

It has to be Roland "THE FACE" nillson, pure class. I can remember big Mo being subbed after 25 mins against Everton once, and not because he was injured. A cult figure yes, but a great defender :thinking about:

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I'm going back a bit, but best City defender ever for me was Bobby McDonald from the 1970's. He made 161 consecutive league appearances and scored 14 goals as well! Pure City legend!

kdp888

A few of the forgotten hero's Peter Atherton, Liam Daish, Phil Babb, David Busst, David Burrows, Marc Edworthy, Steve Staunton and Elliot Ward. But hard to split between the already mentioned Mo Konjic, Richard Shaw, Calum Davenport and Scott Dann and the current Ben Turner. But my personal favourite probably has to Richard Shaw, consistent, tough and a proper team player.

Users who are viewing this thread