Best football penalty takers of all time (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

There are lots of websites that claim to list the best penalty takers. Most of them are obviously biased toward current, recent, or well-known players or players from the country where the website was created. However, I came across the below website, which appears to treat the subject more scientifically and includes players past and present many of them lesser known. Graham Alexander is the top rated British player at 2nd best (He was born in Coventry), Matt Le Tissier comes 3rd. It's interesting that two of the top three are English, and yet England have a poor record in penalty shoot-outs.
The best penalty takers of all time

rob9872

Ray Stewart too - interesting that they are mostly older though. I think now that not only are keepers much better, but they are also better prepared with videos and analysis/statistics of where the penalty taker hits most of his penalties. Of course no guarantees but can give them that little edge that perhaps wasn't always available.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Ray Stewart too - interesting that they are mostly older though. I think now that not only are keepers much better, but they are also better prepared with videos and analysis/statistics of where the penalty taker hits most of his penalties. Of course no guarantees but can give them that little edge that perhaps wasn't always available.

Agree, also fair to say keepers are more athletic these days? So can spring and cover a bigger area?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I’ve never understood why a player doesn’t put a hula hoop each top corner, practises one step putting it through. Ok pace isn’t there but if you can stick it either top corner from one pace back nobodies going to save it? Plus you’re not pratting around and likely to stumble on your run up like you see some players.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
I’ve never understood why a player doesn’t put a hula hoop each top corner, practises one step putting it through. Ok pace isn’t there but if you can stick it either top corner from one pace back nobodies going to save it? Plus you’re not praying around and likely to stumble on your run up like you see some players.

they try to hard nowadays to show off. Look at Pogba.

Like you say, somebody paid hundreds of thousands to play football should be able to put the ball exactly where they want it at least 8 out of 10 times.

Even with one step, they should get enough pace to beat the keeper.

W

westcountry_skyblue

Alan Shearer was good also our own Mick Coop!!!

Kneeza

Farmer was wonderful. One of the few penalty takers that you absolutely knew was going to find the net (did he miss one? I can't recall that ).

Covstu

Always remember Gary Mac and Roland being a safe pair when taking pens.... still scarred by burrows at bramhall lane in the cup...

Last edited:

Marty

Alan Shearer was a fantastic penalty taker. Always hit them as hard as possible into the top corners.

Gazolba

Alan Shearer was a fantastic penalty taker. Always hit them as hard as possible into the top corners.
So did Matt Le Tissier, he scored 49 from 50 attempts. Shearer scored 63 from 65. Both were among the elite penalty-takers.

IODRINKELL

Not sure what his stats were, but when Brian Kilkline took a penalty they were defiantly hit. Missed a few but always entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Daz

For 500 bonus virtual pints to the first person to name the goalie who saved Matt le tisseiers penalty

Kneeza

Anyone else remember George Curtis taking a pen in a friendly (at the Kop end)? Ran the length of the pitch to take it and blasted it over. How we laughed!

Users who are viewing this thread