Best place to selling second hand stuff online? (1 Viewer)

armybike

Looking towards having a clear out of the loft and shed and was going to use eBay to try and offload them but read some comments that the fees at eBay can leave a sting in the tail and the whole process is become more weighed towards the buyers.

It's mainly kids stuff like cots, pushchairs and the like - but maybe also some electrical items, books etc.

So.......where do you chaps use to sell stuff online? I've never done it and really not sure where to begin so any info/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

mrtrench

There is an increasing risk with on-line selling sites due to UK retail laws - the power has indeed skewed to the buyer & they can return for any reason within 30 days for a full refund with the seller paying the return postage. A sizeable minority also claim non-receipt for every purchase to get the goods for free - there are even chat sites where people discuss the best places to target and methods to scam sellers.

Car boot is better - BUT, people expect prices to be much lower.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Yeah that is the only thing with the car boot, you will get people see a kids dress from Next or something brand new with tags that say £40 and then say "Ill give you 20p".

The other thing we tried is one of those people who buy clothes by the bag full, again the woman had a bag full of kids clothes with loads that had never been worn and mostly decent stuff and she said she would give us 2 quid per black bag.

eBay would be good, but you have the hassle of packaging everything up, posting it and then dealing with people.

At least if you did a car boot you can get it all gone.

armybike

Yes the car booters certainly try pushing their luck lol

As most of the stuff is quite bulky the packing and posting isn't such an issue.

Has anyone tried Shpock?

armybike

Selling old shite for silly money! Well that's the site for me then :)

Also guess that's the problem with any selling site, especially the less regulated ones like Gumtree and it seems Shpock, that people can sell things that maybe they don't actually legally own, but people like a bargain so it's a win-win for the buyer/seller but could encourage people to go out on the rob.

What happened to the good old days when your good old honestly Jack the lad criminal sold his stuff in the local boozer lol

Nick

Administrator
Selling old shite for silly money! Well that's the site for me then :)

Also guess that's the problem with any selling site, especially the less regulated ones like Gumtree and it seems Shpock, that people can sell things that maybe they don't actually legally own, but people like a bargain so it's a win-win for the buyer/seller but could encourage people to go out on the rob.

What happened to the good old days when your good old honestly Jack the lad criminal sold his stuff in the local boozer lol

It is just chinese men with DVDs now.

skybluejelly

you cant beat a car boot for selling broken televisions...not being racicst but have sold my last 3 to indians..why would you buy a televison without seeing it working

jimmyhillsfanclub

As for selling 2nd hand stuff.....do what I did.....get thoroughly pissed off dealing with tight-arses, liars & idiots online....

....then just donate the whole lot to charity....

dutchman

It's mainly kids stuff like cots, pushchairs and the like - but maybe also some electrical items, books etc.

eBay is good for selling electrical items. I know that because I belong to a private forum where we regularly discuss electrical items for sale on aBay and are sometimes staggered at the high prices they fetch.

Forget eBay for selling stuff like genuine DVDs or CDs as they are swamped with counterfeits and prices long ago fell through the floor for even the rarest items.

Users who are viewing this thread