Best Stories (1 Viewer)

CanadianCCFC

I’d love to read some of your best stories following City down the years. I’m 16 and have lived in Canada my whole life and I’ve only gone to 2 Coventry games in person. My dad followed the City around every week back in the 80s and 90s and has told me about some of his best moments. I’d love to hear some of your experiences.
Thanks in advance

Sky Blue Harry H

Weird one was lying to my parents that I was going into Leamington to do some sixth form french revision (aged 17 or 18) but riding my 100cc motorbike to Hereford to see a pre season friendly. The temperature was really cold, I missed most of the first half due to mistiming the journey and had to leave early so parents weren't too suspicious. Face turned blue, froze my nuts off and we lost (2-0?) Wondered why I'd bothered, but was secretly proud of having done it. Was about 1976/7. Parents never sussed it either!!!

Otis

Mentioned it before, but I was best man at my brother's wedding. City were at home. I didn't say anything to anyone.

Wedding was at 1. Got to the reception, quickly did my best man's speech and they just slipped out without telling anyone and drove straight to HR to watch City v Leicester. Made it with about 10 mins before kickoff and stood on the West End terrace in a three piece suit complete with carnation in my button hole.

Family wasn't best pleased, but the marriage only lasted 3 months and I felt fully justified.

christonabike

My mum used to work nights as a nurse and my dad took her to work one night and as we drove home we could see the lights at Highfield road and dad decided to take me to the game. I was delighted until ten mins into the second half I realised I was still wearing my slippers! I wondered why people were giving me funny looks!

Paul Anthony

My first away game was Walsall in January 2004.

I don't recall how, exactly, but somehow my Dad had got executive tickets. Something to do with someone he knew through his work, I think.

It seemed like a good idea at first, six of us, smartly dressed, sitting in the executive area of the Bescot. Bit of a contradiction in terms, but there you go.

On our way in we were greeted by Pete Waterman, and proceeded to the bar. I think it was here the reality of what we were doing hit me. We were sitting with the Walsall Fans. Knowing how much crap it would be likely to cause if we celebrated a City goal, I decided that I'd keep it to a polite handclap. Unfortunately, that wasn't the concensus of the rest of our party.

Of course, City decided to go on a scoring rampage. Me, quietly clapping each goal, the rest of our party celebrating as if it was a home game at Highfield Road. Naturally, the locals took offence to this. Even more so when they got one back, and one of our lot stood up, applauded and said "good goal."

He meant well, but this was perceived as sarcasm from the locals, and only served to enflame the situation further. Finally, realising there was a strong possibility of a small scale riot breaking out (probably not the first one in the history of Walsall), the Stewards decided to remove the worst of our offenders to the actual away end with the rest of the city fans.

It didn't end there, of course. We went on to score six goals, a rare experience for any football fan, but almost unfathomable for a City fan. By the end, most of the Walsall fans had given up the ghost. Not only had they lost interest in the game, but also us. Well, except for a nice old lady, in a wheelchair, who, as we were leaving, very clearly flicked my dad the v's from behind the safety of her glass fronted executive box. As we left for the safety of the bar, quite euphoric after such a big win, we began to to contemplate the short trip home, and if we'd make it out of Walsall in one piece. Still, at least we couldn't rub any more salt into the wounded Walsall pride.

Except we could. When one of our lads won the guess the crowd competition, and the bottle of booze that came with it. Luckily, by this point, the Walsall fans were so beaten into submission, that instead of offering fists, they offered congratulations, "well done cov fans."

And after that, we made our exit. I made a personal decision not to go back to Walsall anytime soon, assuming that we'd have old Western style wanted dead or alive posters pinned up on lampposts around the town.

And I've never been back since.

Last edited:

ricohroar

Going back 25 years I was 18 and myself and my dad were season tickets holders. I cant remember who was playing, but City had signed someone good and he was playing in the reserves one evening before he had played for the first team. Season ticket holders got in free and my mum and dad would regularly go and watch them along with about 100 or so others.
As I wanted to see the new player in action I decided to tag along and let mum have my ticket and I would pay the 50p entrance fee.

Well a few 1000 turned up to do the same and the queue went all the way down King Richards street. Well mum and dad went to the season ticket queue and got straight in, I joined the 30 min queue for pay on the gate and stood on my own.
Stewards manned the queue line and when they walked past me they asked me why I was in the queue..... you don't have to queue son, follow us. 2 of them walked me to the main players entrance, in the door and through to the posh seats.... No idea who they thought I was but it was clear they thought I was too good to queue and sit with the rest of the line......

CCFC88

A couple of weeks ago, we played Sunderland at home, I left my house at about 2pm and got in the car to drive to Car Park 1 at the Ricoh, parked up and walked the 10/15 mins down the road to the ground. Got to the Ricoh around 2:55, 5 mins before kick off. The first half was relatively drab but it came alive in the second half, former premier league player Lee Cattermole put Sunderland ahead only to be pegged back by Jonson Clarke-Harris in the 68th minute. Both sides had chance to win the match but due to some poor finishing and high class goalkeeping it ended in a stalemate. I left the stadium and walked the 15 mins back up the road to the car park, got in my car and drove home. Got back around 5:30.

smileycov

Facebook User
My family are all Villa, so many times i have sat in the holte end with cousins, watching us get beat. So many times i have sat in the west end with cousins watching us get beat!! But in 97 i sat in the side stand close to the cov fans in the witton end, just had a feeling that year. It was the FA Cup 5th rd and we won 1-0 It was unbelievably good. Moldovan scored. 2 years later same stand - The Boateng show, we won 4-. I can not recall feeling so good as i did on those 2 occasions!! Better than beating Utd at Old Trafford in front of 11k SBA. Better than the last 2 trips to wembley (and they were fucking awesome) - Missed 87 as i was serving in the RN. But anyone who attended those games, and witnessed the many many defeats from earlier years will appreciate just how special they were.

Skyblueweeman

I think my first game was my best memory.

I'm sure it was a drab 0-0 at HR somewhere between 1987-1990 and it was against Millwall. But the excitement as a 7-10 yr old walking up to HR was something I'll never forget.

Both recent Wembley trips were days I'll never forget either. Yeah they're not the FA Cup or promotion to the EPL but that doesn't matter. I was so proud on both days that we represented the club so well....a sea of Sky Blue, very vocal and two great wins to go with it. Perfect.

Not sure I have a best memory at the Ricoh to be honest. I guess the first game there as well to be fair. 3-1 win against QPR. Sunny day, new top purchased beforehand, with my folks and a win to boot. Happy days!

Adge

A couple of weeks ago, we played Sunderland at home, I left my house at about 2pm and got in the car to drive to Car Park 1 at the Ricoh, parked up and walked the 10/15 mins down the road to the ground. Got to the Ricoh around 2:55, 5 mins before kick off. The first half was relatively drab but it came alive in the second half, former premier league player Lee Cattermole put Sunderland ahead only to be pegged back by Jonson Clarke-Harris in the 68th minute. Both sides had chance to win the match but due to some poor finishing and high class goalkeeping it ended in a stalemate. I left the stadium and walked the 15 mins back up the road to the car park, got in my car and drove home. Got back around 5:30.
You must have imagined all that-it was 12-30 pm kick off!.......

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
For me, it was growing up as a teenager and sneaking up to HR on Saturdays telling my Mum that I was heading "out" to play with my mates down the park. It was the 80's and I could only pay on the gate and they then gave you the ticket for your seat and so away fans could get into the home end. We were playing Wolves and I ended up in between two meat heads, one Wolves and one Coventry who were just about to start fighting after Wolves took the lead and meat head from Wolves celebrated.
I was lifted up out of my chair to safety from the guy on the row behind who was a full blown vicar with his dog collar on and robe. Divine intervention and I think Ferguson scored a last minute winner which made it a very sweet day. 2-1 City is my memory, circa 1984
I hated those days of being allocated a ticket on entry, was placed next to the Blues fans one day, as a 13 year old, I took one look at the seat and then hopped over into the West terrace and was pretty relieved as when Blues scored, all their mob piled over the little fence that separated the fans.
First season ticket was when I was 16 and started work and Mum said, I didn't know you liked watching the football, I could also get to away games then as couldn't before as I couldn't get back in time.

Greggs

For a short time, probably about 15-20 years ago, we were known as the entertainers. International players such as Gary Mcallister, Robbie Keane, Mustapha Hadji, Viorel Moldovan and a legend called Roland Nilsson. We once signed the best left back in the world at the time, Robert Jarni, but he fucked off two days later.....

Sky Blue Harry H

Brother came down from Geordieland to see City v Newcastle with about 6 mates - about 1992 ish and I put them all up overnight in my then little flat in Whitley Village. When I woke up in the morning one of them had unwrapped one of my Xmas presents (a jumper) and was wearing it as he had been cold during the night! I had to bail 2 of them out of Little Park Street (drunk and disorderly - didn't even get into the match). Quite a weekend!!

Last edited:

slyblue57

1973, Wolves v Cov in F.A. cup , I was 16 and my parents had no idea that I was going to Cov games away..
Left the house in the morning as normal to visit my mate Brian as mum and dad thought.
Got to my real destination changed clothes, levis, Doc Martins my denim jacket and my scarf tied round my wrist and into Pool Meadow with my
football mates and got the coach to Wolves. We lost
Changed clothes when back to Cov and then home to be met with a smack around the head, well several actually.
I d made the front page of the Coventry Evening Telegraph with headlines of Cov fans on route to Wolves lol
pusb.

Johhny Blue

Mentioned it before, but I was best man at my brother's wedding. City were at home. I didn't say anything to anyone.

Wedding was at 1. Got to the reception, quickly did my best man's speech and they just slipped out without telling anyone and drove straight to HR to watch City v Leicester. Made it with about 10 mins before kickoff and stood on the West End terrace in a three piece suit complete with carnation in my button hole.

Family wasn't best pleased, but the marriage only lasted 3 months and I felt fully justified.

Maybe the same game we arrived just as they kicked off. We heard a huge cheer that was obviously a goal as we scrambled up from the turnstiles to the Kop. I was first there and noticed the Leicester goalie (Wallington?) had a mud streak on his shirt so knew we scored. My brother in law had stopped to buy a program. When he got to the top of the hill (Behind the old scoreboard) I told him Leicester had scored. He didn't realize we were ahead until half way through the second half.

Westendlad

Attachments

• images (8).jpg
    images (8).jpg
    7 KB · Views: 21

Westendlad

Brother came down from Geordieland to see City v Newcastle with about 6 mates - about 1992 ish and I put them all up overnight in my then little flat in Whitley Village. When I woke up in the morning one of them had unwrapped one of my Xmas presents (a jumper) and was wearing it as he had been cold during the night! I had to bail 2 of them out of Little Park Street (drunk and disorderly - didn't even get into the match). Quite a weekend!!
You didn't give him a slap for opening one of your prezzies ?

stevefloyd

Back in the 90's 3 mates me and my ex missus who wasnt my ex then went to Vile when we needed to win to stay up, we were all Cov fans but the ex was at the time a Vile fan (i soon converted her) Regis scored for Vile she stood up in the Cov end celebrating loudly I told her to fuck off the Cov fans not to happy then Vile scored again and up she got shouting and celebrating followed by more fuck offs from me. The following season I went up to Scotland to watch the pre season friendlies and 2 blokes recognised her and shouted its the fucking Villa fan, she cowered down at that point...and yep we are now divorced!!

Covstu

Best memories - First away game at Spurs when I was about 7 years old. Just stood in awe of the ground and the atmosphere. Winning at Villa in the cup was a special day
worst - Getting relegated at Villa and having to walk through their fans back to the car park. Feel justified now they have gone down!

A lot of good days (usually revolve around alcohol and taking souvenirs) but too many to mention!

Otis

Best memories - First away game at Spurs when I was about 7 years old. Just stood in awe of the ground and the atmosphere. Winning at Villa in the cup was a special day
worst - Getting relegated at Villa and having to walk through their fans back to the car park. Feel justified now they have gone down!

A lot of good days (usually revolve around alcohol and taking souvenirs) but too many to mention!
Yeah, I am still waiting for my hubcaps back, thanks.

rob9872

I must have hundreds of stories mostly concerning away games and beer, but my favourite is for a game that never was.

We had a mate staying up in Middlesboro @ Teeside Uni. Cov were due to play Newcastle midweek in the cup, so despite being about 40 miles away we said we'd go up and see him, watch the match then
stay overnight and home the following day. We went up the M1 and it was snow and rain pretty much most of the way but arrived around lunchtime and found his digs only to discover he was out and he hadn't even told the other lads in the house we were coming. Four of us stood on the doorstep with a bag and a sleeping bag and they were of course thrilled to se us …

He eventually comes home and we head out to the local pub where Norwich were playing Inter Milan on the tv so you can tell how long ago it was! Halftime in that they announce that due to the torrential rain in some parts of the country some games were called off, yep you've guessed it - Newcastle v City was one of them. Now what do we do? Well first and foremost get down the student bars for cheap beer and get amongst the campus girls, but then the next day with no plan.

Someone said well I want to watch some footy whilst we're up here what's the nearest and next games on - but nothing until Saturday. Feck it, only one lad had a job and he hated it so we all stayed up a few days. Come Saturday it was a choice between Darlington or Hartlepool playing at home so we went to Hartlepool for what turned out to be one of the coldest times I can remember. The Hartlepool ground was having a new stand built so one side was open and completely exposed - it was the side facing the sea. Great game though 2-2 v Brighton and a terrific volley as I recall from outside the box (Robert Codner for the oldies among you).

We went back up on the coach for the rearranged game. Last game in their Gallowgate end before it was demolished and rebuilt. Superb atmosphere but hammered 4-0!

ovduk78

We went back up on the coach for the rearranged game. Last game in their Gallowgate end before it was demolished and rebuilt. Superb atmosphere but hammered 4-0!
I had tickets for the original game and I am sure after it was postponed they didn't give us any tickets for the rearranged game as the Gallowgate had been demolished but the game was shown live on a massive screen at HR. Newcastle hammered us and it was the first we saw of Sandy Robertson. We did get tickets for the 3rd round FA Cup tie at St James' Park that season and were in the Gallowgate and Beardsley & Cole ran riot and we escaped with a 2-0 drubbing, I was sure we were the last away fans in the Gallowgate before it was demolished but Newcastle had another home draw in the FA Cup and would have had to give Luton tickets

Sky Blue Harry H

I was at that one I think Rob - think Wegerle might have been playing!

rob9872

I had tickets for the original game and I am sure after it was postponed they didn't give us any tickets for the rearranged game as the Gallowgate had been demolished but the game was shown live on a massive screen at HR. Newcastle hammered us and it was the first we saw of Sandy Robertson. We did get tickets for the 3rd round FA Cup tie at St James' Park that season and were in the Gallowgate and Beardsley & Cole ran riot and we escaped with a 2-0 drubbing, I was sure we were the last away fans in the Gallowgate before it was demolished but Newcastle had another home draw in the FA Cup and would have had to give Luton tickets

That rings a bell actually, I think it was the league game we went back for and having just looked on Wiki - the Luton replay was 9th Feb 94 our league game was 23rd Feb 94 so could have been the last - there weren't many of us and we were stuck away in a corner with no roof. I remember sky blue balloons, Mick Quinn giving out pies to the Geordies pre-kick off and I think you're right H Wegerle would likely have been playing then. It also says Cole hattrick, but I cant remember that at all.

usskyblue

I met Nuddy and his agent after a 0-0 Tuesday night bore draw vs QPR at HR. Came on as a half time sub....pretty sure it was his debut.

Peter barely knew a word of English but his agent (who was also Bruce Grobelaar’s agent) translated that Nuddy had a sweetheart in Zimbabwe and that he was going to bring her to England and marry her. He barked on for ages about what a good lad Peter was. (Can’t remember why, but I ended up giving his agent a lift to Coventry train station that night.)

Anyway, around a month later Nuddy was on the back page of the Sun for allegedly inseminating half of Coventry.

The ramrod.

Last edited:

itsabuzzard

I met Nuddy and his agent after a 0-0 Tuesday night bore draw vs QPR at HR. Came on as a half time sub....pretty sure it was his debut.

Peter barely knew a word of English but his agent (who was also Bruce Grobelaar’s agent) translated that Nuddy had a sweetheart in Zimbabwe and that he was going to bring her to England and marry her. He barked on for ages about what a good lad Peter was. (Can’t remember why, but I ended up giving his agent a lift to Coventry train station that night.)

Anyway, around a month later Nuddy was on the back page of the Sun for allegedly inseminating half of Coventry.

The ramrod.
The female half?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Daz

My first home Game was against Southampton 84/85 I was in the west end with my 2older brother I would of been 8

Someone had a shot that went over and I caught the ball and threw it to a Southampton player can’t remember his name but he was bald

But my favourite memory was beating Chelsea 3-1 opening game of the 97/98 season Dions hat trick
Come back from my first lads holiday abroad the day before
Highfield Road Bathed In sunshine put on the lash round town after , mortgages, children and hangovers were a thousand miles away

Terry_dactyl

My first home Game was against Southampton 84/85 I was in the west end with my 2older brother I would of been 8

Someone had a shot that went over and I caught the ball and threw it to a Southampton player can’t remember his name but he was bald

But my favourite memory was beating Chelsea 3-1 opening game of the 97/98 season Dions hat trick
Come back from my first lads holiday abroad the day before
Highfield Road Bathed In sunshine put on the lash round town after , mortgages, children and hangovers were a thousand miles away
David Armstrong?

Users who are viewing this thread