Blogging ?? (1 Viewer)

Saw an advert in Facebook recommending starting a blog for profit - forgive my ignorance (old git) but just what actually is a blog, what commitment does one have to adhere to, what subject matter can be chosen and is there a fee/cost involved.

Also what potential is there to actually receive a reasonable income from being a blogger.

I have plenty of life experiences to draw from, some of which I have submitted to SBT over the years - will they be suitable?

Nick

Administrator
It would cost you for the domain name, then for the web hosting.

It's hard work!

dutchman

Also what potential is there to actually receive a reasonable income from being a blogger.

Zero in my experience and I suggest that all the sites which tell you otherwise exist purely to attract advertising revenue.

It was possible at one time to set up a network of blogging sites which earned advertising revenue by referring readers from one site to the next but the advertisers got wise to that and now have sophisticated systems in place to detect bogus websites.

Sick Boy

To make any real money these days you will need to focus it on a specific niche and know exactly what you're doing in terms of seo.

robbieray

So much competition, u need as Sick Boy says a specific niche, unique content and loads of promotion.Saying that a domain is cheap, hosting is cheap enough. Take a look at WordPress for a template/theme.

Captain Dart

It would cost you for the domain name, then for the web hosting.

It's hard work!

That's the scam in a nutshell.

Captain Dart

Where's the scam ?

It was an advert, so they'll want to sell you something won't they.

OK it may be legit business, but that's the cynic in me labelling it a scam without knowing details.

The consensus is that blogging is hard work & requires niche expertise & I'd add you would definitely have to have an interest in what you are blogging about or you would never stay the course.

Anyway, you should be able to find a platform to start a blog for free to test the water.

Last edited:

ajsccfc

Vlogging seems to be where the money is now, there's a whole host of people who are actually regarded as 'Youtube celebrities', marking the exact point I realised I became old.

Nick

Administrator
Vlogging seems to be where the money is now, there's a whole host of people who are actually regarded as 'Youtube celebrities', marking the exact point I realised I became old.

I dont get the appeal.

Watch some woman put her makeup on, watch a lad talk about hair gel? when I was a kid I had better stuff to be doing like making a den or playing football.

ajsccfc

I dont get the appeal.

Watch some woman put her makeup on, watch a lad talk about hair gel? when I was a kid I had better stuff to be doing like making a den or playing football.

Let's set up a Youtube channel about making dens and coin it in!

I can see the appeal of makeup tips and that kind of thing as they're actually useful, but all the 'hey guys, watch me shout about the thing you were actually searching for' kind of videos seem a right load of wank.

Nick

Administrator
Let's set up a Youtube channel about making dens and coin it in!

I can see the appeal of makeup tips and that kind of thing as they're actually useful, but all the 'hey guys, watch me shout about the thing you were actually searching for' kind of videos seem a right load of wank.

I don't think youtube would appreciate a treehouse made out of a couple of old pallets, a piss stained cushion and 4 jazz mags that have been found stashed away as a den nowadays :(

mrtrench

Very difficult to make any money on youtube now either - those days have gone. We are releasing tutorial videos on how to make a video game as part of marketing for our PC game. One video has been watched over 10k times and we made 3p from it.

Terry Gibson's perm

Very difficult to make any money on youtube now either - those days have gone. We are releasing tutorial videos on how to make a video game as part of marketing for our PC game. One video has been watched over 10k times and we made 3p from it.

Nearly enough to buy the club then:whistle:

Users who are viewing this thread