Boris Johnson (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

Why is he still in a job?

Why does he still have a reputation?

I don't necessarily want pro or anti-Johnson diatribes... more an explanation!

He's trying to get sacked so he can contest the leadership. May is in a precarious position. She can't afford for that to happen but the longer he's allowed to stay the weaker she looks for not sacking him.

His part in the Zaghari-Ratcliffe affair is nothing short of scandalous. I was watching an old Question Time the other night, (Rock and roll!), it was from a fair while ago and I realised that I had misjudged something about Boris all along.
I had always considered him self centred, egotistical and ambitious at the disregard to all else, which he is, but I did think he's was a very clever man, he's actually a fucking idiot.

Sorry, Is that a diatribe?!

Otis

Yep, doesn't matter if you are Tory or not, it's still amazing that he has kept his job.

Mind, his job actually appears to be Minister for Putting His Foot In It, amongst others.

duffer

Because people hate politicians and he's clever enough to avoid being seen as one? See Trump.

Boris isn't as dangerous as Trump, because he does have some vestigial intelligence, but I'm sure he's as much of a narcissist, willing to do or say anything that gets him what he wants regardless of the effect on others. In essence, a smiling menace.

This current lot make Major and Clarke look like Gandhi and Mandela by comparison.

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

Because people hate politicians and he's clever enough to avoid being seen as one? See Trump.

Boris isn't as dangerous as Trump, because he does have some vestigial intelligence, but I'm sure he's as much of a narcissist, willing to do or say anything that's gets him what he wants regardless of the effect on others. In essence, a smiling menace.

This current lot make Major and Clarke look like Gandhi and Mandela by comparison.
See, my theory is he still has a job because that way, he's part of the establishment.

Trump got the gig because nobody in their right mind had given him the chance to fuck up politically, so he ended up untainted. Sack Johnson and you have the same.

Not convinced it's a wise strategy though when he's quite as destructive to peoples' lives as he appears to be atm!

clint van damme

See, my theory is he still has a job because that way, he's part of the establishment.

Trump got the gig because nobody in their right mind had given him the chance to fuck up politically, so he ended up untainted. Sack Johnson and you have the same.

Not convinced it's a wise strategy though when he's quite as destructive to peoples' lives as he appears to be atm!

I didn't realise until I was in the States earlier in the year and talking to people about the election just how much Hilary was hated, and that included a few people who told me they would have voted Democrat if it wasn't for her.
I suppose that sort of fits in with what you were saying as her previous political career and her association with her husband had tainted her.

ovduk78

He's trying to get sacked so he can contest the leadership.
Surely he was in prime position to become leader after we voted to leave the EU, seems to me that he bottled it and didn't want to negotiate us through the mess he had campaigned for, maybe he wan't convinced by his own campaigning and just wanted to give Cameron a bloody nose

clint van damme

Surely he was in prime position to become leader after we voted to leave the EU, seems to me that he bottled it and didn't want to negotiate us through the mess he had campaigned for, maybe he wan't convinced by his own campaigning and just wanted to give Cameron a bloody nose

he was fucked over by Gove who was backing him but withdrew to enter the race himself at the last minute. He said he didn't think Boris had the necessary leadership skills.
Fasr forward 17 months and Gove appears to be backing him agian!

clint van damme

think that's pretty much what Gove said. I don't think he posses any!

I may be doing him a disservice.

NorthernWisdom

think that's pretty much what Gove said. I don't think he posses any!

I may be doing him a disservice.
The thing is, it's often reckoned he wouldn't win a leadership election anyway, as he has a knack of making enemies as much as he makes friends in the House of Commons.

Which, if true, would take away the need for him to be in government... unless you accept the damage he could do outside of it.

clint van damme

The thing is, it's often reckoned he wouldn't win a leadership election anyway, as he has a knack of making enemies as much as he makes friends in the House of Commons.

Which, if true, would take away the need for him to be in government... unless you accept the damage he could do outside of it.

he spent the tory party conference chumming about with the editor of the sun. Tim Fisher could become PM with Murdochs red top behind him. He is fiercely ambitious behind the bumbling buffoon persona.

Captain Dart

Osbourne is lurking in the shadows, is a safe by-election coming up or is he waiting to stand for Mayor of London?

clint van damme

Osbourne is lurking in the shadows, is a safe by-election coming up or is he waiting to stand for Mayor of London?

You think? Interesting. He's allowed some fairly scathing stuff to be published about the tories in the Evening Standard. Wonder if the grandees of the party would welcome him back?

Users who are viewing this thread