BOSMAN - no good for CCFC (1 Viewer)

Well then, knocked back for Le Fronde ref £500K bid (what a surprise !!!)

We move out players for nothing than have to pay for replacements - what a farce.

I wonder (pre - Bosman) what our three departed prize assets would have been valued at in the good old days when we had free trade and no transfer window nonsense.

For what it's worth my evaluation would be:

Westwood - £3M - young very capable Prem class

Gunnerson - £1.5M - good first season, crap second season, better last season.

King - £1.5M - 31 years of age possibly two good seasons left, class act in our league

So we have lost out on a potential £6M in transfer revenue because of the Bosman ruling - I know we have secured Murphy FOC and Dunne for an " undisclosed" fee but I still think CCFC have pulled the short straw in our transfer dealings to date.

Rant over.

PUSB

PhilWasn'tBabb

I can't remember how the old system worked to be honest. But if somebody wants to go else where when there contract is up that has to be there right.

I wouldn't blame the bosman ruling, I would blame our boards total inability to offer people a reasonable contract in good time, Westwood and Gunnerson should have been given new contracts after their 1st seasons, but that would have meant paying more in wages. King should have been offer something along the same lines as Gary Mc, so after he makes a number of games his contract is extended.

ajsccfc

If a contract expires the player should be a free agent, you can't hold them captive.

We've signed players on freebies over the years, we're hardly victims.

rob9872

Tlotally agree with the above two posts, although previously players didn't use it to their advantage the same. They would happily sign with 12 months left, in fact that is when most new deals were offered where as now a player wants a new deal with two years left holding the club to ransom for a new 3 or 4 year deal as they know they can risk losing them for nothing. It means you're tied to expensive dross that you can't shift and lose good players for less than market value or nothing at all depending on length left. Tough spot to be in and massive player power. I don't envy the clubs at all.

Well then, knocked back for Le Fronde ref £500K bid (what a surprise !!!)

We move out players for nothing than have to pay for replacements - what a farce.

I wonder (pre - Bosman) what our three departed prize assets would have been valued at in the good old days when we had free trade and no transfer window nonsense.

For what it's worth my evaluation would be:

Westwood - £3M - young very capable Prem class

Gunnerson - £1.5M - good first season, crap second season, better last season.

King - £1.5M - 31 years of age possibly two good seasons left, class act in our league

So we have lost out on a potential £6M in transfer revenue because of the Bosman ruling - I know we have secured Murphy FOC and Dunne for an " undisclosed" fee but I still think CCFC have pulled the short straw in our transfer dealings to date.

Rant over.

PUSB

These people had no intention of signing new contracts as they could all earn more elsewhere. For that reason you have to look at it that we lost nothing apart from three good players (money aside).

Maybe we could have extended them all earlier but my view is nobody would have paid a fee for them and we would of still ended up in the same situation.

pusbccfc

King 3.5 mill
Westwood 2 mill
Gunna 1mill

Covstu

I have no issue with this, all three no longer wanted to play for the club and ran their contracts out and moved on, doesnt mean we should be entitled to a pot of cash at the end! This ruling has actually benefitted alot of lower league clubs as well as the big boys.

Oh and can people stop putting 'rant over' on the end of their messages, its annoying!!

sparky

U say about how much we would of got for them but say if we sold them all for money in january what league do you think we would be in now?

Kuklinski

The rules are the same for every club. At times we have been lucky enough to take advantage of the rules, on other occasion we have drawn the short straw. Didn't we get Westwood after his contract had run its course? We can't jump for joy when it works to our advantage but then moan when the same rules work against us.

rob9872

We paid £750k for Westwood. We weren't the only ones to miss out with him though as Carlisle had a 25% sell on clause of any profit made.

Kuklinski

We only paid a fee for Westwood due to his age (the same reason we will receive a fee for Gunnarsson) but had that particular rule not been in force we would have signed him for free, as Sunderland did when he left us. The system can work for and against us, as it has done.

rob9872

I'm reluctant to disagree with you as I don't want this to start world war three but as this is not opinion but fact I feel comfortable telling you that you're wrong :)

Kuklinski

I agree, I don't wish to start an argument, but I would like to know where I'm wrong? I'm not above admitting when I'm in the wrong, but I don't think I am. We paid a fee for Westwood due to his age? Even though his contract had come to an end at Carlisle.

rob9872

I have no idea if his contract at Carlisle ended, but we agreed a fee between the clubs and a sell on clause. It wasn't done on a bosman ruling or through a tribunal.

Kuklinski

I'll stand corrected if this is the case. I was of the belief we had signed him after his contract ended, but paid a fee because of his age (like Gunnarsson).

rob9872

Ok done a bit of research, can't find much.

I thought we had paid £750k +25% sell on clause but according to their local rag, it was £500k + 25% of anything over £750k

J

Jack Griffin

Bosman has put the highly skilled players in the driving seat, this isn't so true for those further down the scale.

Long ago the rules were so much in favour of the clubs they were unfair, I heard a former player talking about it on Talksport recently, for instance there was the situation where a player coundn't leave if offered a better contract, so the clubs would offer a derisory increase to players thay wanted to keep, there was no negotiation, the player had to accept or get a job doing something else!

So far no one has come up with a scheme that if fair & reasonable for both parties. The new financial fair play rules should help but I'm sure some loop holes will be exploited & have to be closed by the League.

Users who are viewing this thread