Brandon stadium (1 Viewer)

CJ_covblaze

Signed but it sounds like it could be too late. From talking to a few that go regularly it's likely there wont be a team this time next year. Very sad if true.

torchomatic

I dislike motorsport in general but have always liked the speedway. Went up every week and travelled away too from the mid-70s until the early 80s but not been too often since then. Anyway, signed.

Captain Dart

Last edited:

chiefdave

Have they got the money to build a new stadium or is it a Fisher type deal where they need someone else to put the money up?

If you think people are going to object about noise from a new football ground they'll have a hell of a job with this unless its in the middle of nowhere. Where's the nearest team? Could they share if they need some time to get things sorted?

skybluetony176

Have they got the money to build a new stadium or is it a Fisher type deal where they need someone else to put the money up?

If you think people are going to object about noise from a new football ground they'll have a hell of a job with this unless its in the middle of nowhere. Where's the nearest team? Could they share if they need some time to get things sorted?

The Bee's will be ground sharing at Leicester I believe. They have a track somewhere near Leicester racecourse so its even the wrong side of Leicester. Bee's will just disappear I think unless something gets sorted locally. It's not impossible to open a new short circuit motorsport venue, a completely new site was opened up just a few years ago in Northern Ireland. Mind you Northern Ireland isn't full of NIMBY's like England. They're much more laid back when it comes to having the craic, even if that craic is watching noisy motorsport rather than drinking. Although it's my experience that both go hand in hand anyway.

Captain Dart

Anyone considered if this is actually SISU behind this, the company that owns the land is in Jersey & nothing is known about them.. no planning applications have been submitted to replace the stadium. http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/live-coventry-speedway-fans-hold-11391351
The new owners are called Brandon Estates Ltd, based in Jersey. Mr Stokes said he understands it is one man who owns the site and has given company over to an investment company to manage.
Coun Stokes won’t give names of the individuals he has dealt with.
http://www.datalog.co.uk/browse/det...7/CompanyName/INVESTIN+BRANDON+JERSEY+LIMITED
They love their secrecy don't they, all these investors.

skybluetony176

I think they've done presentations with plans for the site to Brandon residents to try and gain favour with them. From what I can gather there's a lot of resistance to the development of the site for housing from locals to the point where they'd rather see it remain a venue for motorsport and put up with the noise into the late hours.

NorthernWisdom

I think they've done presentations with plans for the site to Brandon residents to try and gain favour with them. From what I can gather there's a lot of resistance to the development of the site for housing from locals to the point where they'd rather see it remain a venue for motorsport and put up with the noise into the late hours.

I don't live in Brandon, but I'm not *that* far away and, tbh, although you can certainly hear it in your garden ;) it's nowhere near as bad as I expected.

armybike

Cov Bees have been given another years lease to ride at Brandon, with potentially another two years subject to conditions.

Stock car racing will also continue.

armybike

Bugger! Soz NW, didn't clock that post.

Can you please delete/merge @Nick

Woz01

I do the admin on the Facebook page and Twitter feed for the save cov speedway campaign and I'd just like to thank those who did sign the petition. Cllr Stokes who was instrumental in getting the deal done said himself the petition and fans meetings helped. The speedway promoter Mick Horton is now in charge of the running of the stadium which should help the Coventry Bees.

chiefdave

Do you know if there is any long term solution likely or does this just buy them more time to try and sort something out?

I can't imagine building a speedway stadium, with the amount of noise there would be, being an easy thing to get through planning.

skybluetony176

The CT also covered the story in July http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/brandon-deal-gives-time-sort-11664220 This is just a follow up isn't it with confirmation that it's now been signed and also with a possible further 2 year extention. Doesn't it also confirm that the developer is also going to sponsor the Bee's nest season? Not really the same story at all if you take your tin foil hat of for five minutes ;)

Gazolba

There used to be a 'stadium' in Holbrooks where they had greyhound racing. Don't recall anyone trying to save that. Wonder what happened to it.

Nathccfc

There used to be a 'stadium' in Holbrooks where they had greyhound racing. Don't recall anyone trying to save that. Wonder what happened to it.
The 'Stadium' housing estate stands at the rear of Lythalls Lane, is so called because the terraced houses and flats there, were built on the site of a former dog racing stadium. In 1928 the Stadium speedway track opened. The track was closed in 1936 and the following year a greyhound track opened on the site, this remained in use until 1964 when it was replaced by the housing. A nearby area which was once a 'green space' used by local children and pet owners, where several flats and social housing were constructed during 2008–2009. Some of these dwellings face towards the A444 Phonenix Way and the Ricoh and Tesco developments.

Wikipedia

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

such a shame I remember in the 70s going there a few times to watch the Bees looking back I think every speedway stadium I went to is now gone, can't think of any that would be left I guess Halifax although long since given up speedway

Users who are viewing this thread