Brands (1 Viewer)

Covstu

not jo or Russell. I was at the shops and over heard a young mother with her child on the phone saying she would never put her boy in any of the clothes in Tesco, it has to be designer.
Got me thinking about what people tend to shop for? Personally my kids tend to have a lot of clothes from Tesco, Asda etc. They are nice clothes and don’t cost a fortune when they get mucky!

I have certain things that i tend to rely on a decent brand I.e. technology, bikes and like certain clothes brands (maybe decent coffee) but just wondered on how loyal others are?

Terry Gibson's perm

For the kids we buy most of their stuff from the supermarkets or Next, we rarely buy new clothes I am sitting here in a t shirt that I bought in the USA twenty years ago and I don’t think I even took it out of the cupboard until five years ago. I have a distant relative who spends a fortune on his baby with designer clothes and the best of everything I just can’t see the point the kids don’t care it’s your vanity

The only I have bought myself in the last six months was a pair of timberland boots

For work I wear old t shirts with holes in and when they get to bad throw them away and three quarters.

Technology I am Apple and the wife is Samsung.

Food wise whatever looks nice and is a good price

Covstu

It’s sad as the kid will grow up with the same impression that it has to be a name. With tech it’s certainly ‘you get what you pay for’ most of the time and certainly regretted some cheaper tech buys. Maybe it’s an age thing when you know the value of money?

Otis

It’s sad as the kid will grow up with the same impression that it has to be a name. With tech it’s certainly ‘you get what you pay for’ most of the time and certainly regretted some cheaper tech buys. Maybe it’s an age thing when you know the value of money?
Been proven that some designer stuff is no better quality than cheaper supermarket stuff.

You are paying for the logo.

Nick

Administrator
Have no issue with buying clothes from Tesco or ASDA. When we found out we were going to have a baby we spent about £500 - £600 on baby clothes, turned out she only ever wore George baby grows and the odd dress for a special occasion so ended up having about £400 of it still in her wardrobe with tags on. Some of the stuff at ASDA is actually decent, hard wearing stuff and lasts a while.

With food there's certain brands we get, mainly because it tastes nicer but have no issue with buying an own brand if it tastes just as good either. I'm not going to spend £5 on something I can get for £2 that tastes the same and nobody would even notice when the box goes in the bin anyway.

Thankfully my daughter isn't at the age yet where brands matter too much and she has learnt to appreciate things that are expensive. She will have a pair of boots like Ugg boots from somewhere for £15 that she can wear every day and doss about in but then a pair of proper Ugg Boots that she knows she has to look after a lot more and be careful before she jumps in a puddle.

One thing that annoys me is fake stuff, lately its the EA7 jackets. I am quite happy to wear a jacket from TK Maxx without a name on that's cost me £30 if it is comfortable and looks half decent, I'd feel a bit of a twat strolling round in a jacket that was fake but giving it loads like I had paid hundreds for it. If I saw a designer jacket I really liked then I'd get it regardless of the name, but nowadays I usually see the price and think about what that could get me in other stuff :)

Otis

Have no issue with buying clothes from Tesco or ASDA. When we found out we were going to have a baby we spent about £500 - £600 on baby clothes, turned out she only ever wore George baby grows and the odd dress for a special occasion so ended up having about £400 of it still in her wardrobe with tags on. Some of the stuff at ASDA is actually decent, hard wearing stuff and lasts a while.

With food there's certain brands we get, mainly because it tastes nicer but have no issue with buying an own brand if it tastes just as good either. I'm not going to spend £5 on something I can get for £2 that tastes the same and nobody would even notice when the box goes in the bin anyway.

Thankfully my daughter isn't at the age yet where brands matter too much and she has learnt to appreciate things that are expensive. She will have a pair of boots like Ugg boots from somewhere for £15 that she can wear every day and doss about in but then a pair of proper Ugg Boots that she knows she has to look after a lot more and be careful before she jumps in a puddle.

One thing that annoys me is fake stuff, lately its the EA7 jackets. I am quite happy to wear a jacket from TK Maxx without a name on that's cost me £30 if it is comfortable and looks half decent, I'd feel a bit of a twat strolling round in a jacket that was fake but giving it loads like I had paid hundreds for it. If I saw a designer jacket I really liked then I'd get it regardless of the name, but nowadays I usually see the price and think about what that could get me in other stuff :)
Never ever had any fake stuff and I know that to be a fact because I have never ever bought any designer stuff. :)

Unless some is faking FF and George of course.

skybluesam66

I buy when I see , This means I get brands at Asda prices
They may be last year's stock but who cares?
So I can have a full outfit for say £50 including footwear

Terry Gibson's perm

My older son who is fussy would only eat Kellogg’s Frosties so I bought one box which he ate and then got supermarket own brand ones and put them in the Frosties box after about two months of eating them they didn’t have any of the cheap ones at the supermarket so I bought the expensive ones and he said these are different not as nice as the normal ones

Otis

My older son who is fussy would only eat Kellogg’s Frosties so I bought one box which he ate and then got supermarket own brand ones and put them in the Frosties box after about two months of eating them they didn’t have any of the cheap ones at the supermarket so I bought the expensive ones and he said these are different not as nice as the normal ones
Yup, can well believe it.

On a BBC programme 'eat well for less?' They substitute cheaper options for major brands and quite often the family are adamant that the cheaper option IS the brand.

Happened with Coca Cola and the family insisted the supermarket one was the Cola one.

wingy

Not sure you can blame Asda for you having the wrong shaped body, Wingy.
Everything Seems to be cut for the on the generous for American market .
Do they not realise there are Normal folk like me about.

xcraigx

The only brand I tend to go for is Heinz. I really notice cheapo beans and sauce. Other than that I'll have whatever is cheapest. I certainly prefer the taste of cheap pop over the expensive stuff.

ajsccfc

When people spend loads on designer clothes that have a logo plastered all over them it looks way more cheap and tacky than pretty much anything you would be in a supermarket.

Otis

The only brand I tend to go for is Heinz. I really notice cheapo beans and sauce. Other than that I'll have whatever is cheapest. I certainly prefer the taste of cheap pop over the expensive stuff.
Not keen on Heinz baked beans. I love baked beans, but think Heinz are the worst.

Much prefer the Branston ones any day.

Grendel

Nope.

Just wish you have quoted an honest paper.

I find with anything Daily Mail story wise, I have to have a look elsewhere to confirm if it is true or not.

How pathetic. Anyway I’ve posted another link and anyone with half a brain knows of you buy that cheap you are endorsing slave labour and poverty.

Otis

How pathetic. Anyway I’ve posted another link and anyone with half a brain knows of you buy that cheap you are endorsing slave labour and poverty.
Been cases of designer companies using slave labour too.

I just wonder what you expect poor people to do, those who cannot afford anything but cheap clothes?

Terry Gibson's perm

The same will be happening in the designer clothes factories they just make more money to pay celebrities to wear the clothes.

Also if we stop buying them then she gets 0p per hour so she will find it more difficult and then the charities will arrive to “save her” or just turn her to prostitution

Otis

The same will be happening in the designer clothes factories they just make more money to pay celebrities to wear the clothes.

Also if we stop buying them then she gets 0p per hour so she will find it more difficult and then the charities will arrive to “save her” or just turn her to prostitution
Does she then charge 25p an hour for that too?

Grendel

What brand of kids school uniform is there?

We have bought John Lewis school shirts, Debenhams and ones from the school shop but to be fair George ones lasted longer.

M and S generally are considered more ethical. I don’t know if H and M sell them but they also are consider to have more concern in this area.

wingy

I'm with Grendel on this one.
Prices like that are a distortion and we'd hate to be exploited to that level.
All it does is mask issues in our own economy, where do our savings go by purchasing this cheaper stuff ,a few more bevvies at night, a second holiday, inflate the property market.
This is the Issue of globalisation or indeed free movement it does nothing to improve peoples lot.

Grendel

I'm with Grendel on this one.
Prices like that are a distortion and we'd hate to be exploited to that level.
All it does is mask issues in our own economy, where do our savings go by purchasing this cheaper stuff ,a few more bevvies at night, a second holiday, inflate the property market.
This is the Issue of globalisation or indeed free movement it does nothing to improve peoples lot.

It’s difficult to control suppliers so some brands do this inadvertently - not supermarkets - they do it deliberately - they deliberately drive down prices by squeezing wholesalers to obscene levels. People shouldn’t buy them.

NorthernWisdom

if you buy that cheap you are endorsing slave labour and poverty.
I agree. The issue is some can't really afford to pay the more expensive prices, so it ends up a danger of becoming the middle classes and above who can afford to be ethical.

How do we change that?

(This isn't a capital political point either, as it applies to all parties really)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Proper coffee, proper cornflakes and Heinz salad cream, I’m ok with everything else

henry the wasp

Wouldn't trust a label that says Made in Italy for quality. All high end designers use the outward processing scheme. It's a loophole where the pattern is cut in Italy but is sewn together in a sweat shop abroad. Sent back to Italy, bang a Made in Italy label on it. All legal. Not just Italy either. No import duty.

Users who are viewing this thread