Brexit/SISU (1 Viewer)

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

how come it took SISU 3 years to get to the high court, yet this whole article 50 crap will probably take less than half of a year to get to the Supreme Court?

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Apologies I was bored at work, I was being sarcastic.

When I saw it, I thought that moves quick and then made me realise that we've probably got another few years to go before our conclusion!

Still at least we're winning - definitely makes the days brighter!

Moff

We need to influence the price of Marmite to hurry things along.

Could be although my High Court Sources suggest they were partial to a Pot Noodle between 'Article 50' legalities, and couldn't stomach* the price rise.

(*Pardon the pun)

covcity4life

The British people are being shit on from a great height. We decided to leave by over 1m votes! WTF is happening to democracy?

1m votes is nothing though is it???????????
the vote was 52/48 or something. about as even as it gets. this is pretty much the only time that something like this isnt shitting on the british people as they are not ignoring a large majority.

also it seems most leave voters regret their decision so maybe majority is now stay.

italiahorse

The vote in parliament should be to just confirm (legalise?) the public vote.
I personally don't think this should be legally necessary as the vote in parliament to give the public a vote should be enough.
However what will happen now is that most MP's (against Brexit) will not vote for it until the exit details are known.
This will tie us up for years and every detail will need a vote and will be known by all.
In my view the government need to keep their cards close and this ruling needs to be overturned.
Invoke article 50 in March and start the clock.
All European legislation can be temporary adopted until it is modified (where necessary) into UK law.
Trade agreements are another matter but as we import more than we export its in our favour .............. surely ?

shmmeee

The British people are being shit on from a great height. We decided to leave by over 1m votes! WTF is happening to democracy?

It's working as intended?

Got to love all these "muh democracy" responses from people that obviously haven't the first clue what their countries constitution is or how our government works.

"Take back control!...Wait, why have our elected representatives got control?"

Fucking hilarious.

shmmeee

51,356,768 people of voting age, 17,410,742 (33.9%) voted leave, 16,141,241 (31.4%) voted remain. 34.6% didn't vote!
25,359 (0.1%) got confused and managed to place an invalid vote.

How many people voted for a sitting MP?

Sky Blue Kid

1m votes is nothing though is it???????????
the vote was 52/48 or something. about as even as it gets. this is pretty much the only time that something like this isnt shitting on the british people as they are not ignoring a large majority.

also it seems most leave voters regret their decision so maybe majority is now stay.

You sound like a baby throwing his toys out of the pram ffs! It didn't go your way! Suck it up Buttercup!

chiefdave

How many people voted for a sitting MP?
Not really the same thing as we have just one vote between multiple candidates but here you go:
Coventry NE 28.9% - 7 candidates
Coventry NW - 24.9% - 6 candidates
Coventry South - 25.9% - 7 candidates

albatross

The people voted for the sovereignty of the British Parliament and British Law.

This is British Laws in action with all the safeguards that prevent acts of parliament being removed by any government without Parliament saying so. We joined by act of Parliament so we must leave via act of Parliament.

They will vote it through but there may me some sensible checks and balances along the way.

You can't have it both ways picking and choosing which laws you believe are applicable to suite your point of view

Sky Blue Kid

It's working as intended?

Got to love all these "muh democracy" responses from people that obviously haven't the first clue what their countries constitution is or how our government works.

"Take back control!...Wait, why have our elected representatives got control?"

Fucking hilarious.

Then why hold a referendum?
I think you need to research a bit mate! We held a referendum on something that wasn't democratically voted for in the first place! We joined a "Free market" not to be told "How are jurisdiction should be run" Everything today stinks of "Do as we say".... I won't be told how to act by another Entity that has no right. As for your response.. I'm willing to bet you're no older than 21-22? Young "Know it alls" claiming us "Oldies" are ruining your future! It's "The oldies" that fought to give you "Youngs 'uns" a future, you bunch of ungrateful c**ts.

Sky Blue Kid

The people voted for the sovereignty of the British Parliament and British Law.

This is British Laws in action with all the safeguards that prevent acts of parliament being removed by any government without Parliament saying so. We joined by act of Parliament so we must leave via act of Parliament.

They will vote it through but there may me some sensible checks and balances along the way.

You can't have it both ways picking and choosing which laws you believe are applicable to suite your point of view

I'll refer you back to the first line of my post #18.

albatross

Then why hold a referendum?
I think you need to research a bit mate! We held a referendum on something that wasn't democratically voted for in the first place! We joined a "Free market" not to be told "How are jurisdiction should be run" Everything today stinks of "Do as we say".... I won't be told how to act by another Entity that has no right. As for your response.. I'm willing to bet you're no older than 21-22? Young "Know it alls" claiming us "Oldies" are ruining your future! It's "The oldies" that fought to give you "Youngs 'uns" a future, you bunch of ungrateful c**ts.

Did you fight in WWII or was it your parents generation that did? After all they were the ones that took us in in the 70's and voted a second time to stay in...

Malaka

Well the brexit voters did not want EU laws overriding our parliamentary democracy. Well our laws say that it has to be ratified by our Parliament. Get over it!

Last edited:

albatross

At the time we joint the IMF were bailing out Britain we had no money the place was on its knees. Fast forward 50 years and we are the 5th largest economy in the world .... kinda worked didn't it.

But lets forget all the positives and throw them away that because we need British Justice and British Laws but oh hang on....that does not suite you either does it . We wont be told by Europe and now we wont be told by either the law or the British Parliament . What do you want?

ajsccfc

The ruling yesterday reinforces the tenets of British democracy and Parliament, two things used as reasoning for the Leave campaign. Seeing the judges made out as war criminals in some sections of the media today is worrying yet not surprising.

albatross

Being governed by Europe WASN'T voted for!

I accept that point but i do fail to see how we are, European Law was enshrined in UK law by act of Parliament, by people that were elected by the British Electorate.

You will get Brexit , via the lawful route

Esoterica

There was never any "Vote to be ruled by European Laws" The "Vote" was for a "Free Trade in Europe" nothing more..... It was known as the "Common Market" not "You will do what we tell you".
Out of interest, which of the European Laws is it you are so against us being told to follow?

ajsccfc

It's all still going to happen, it just rightfully will actually be discussed instead of lies on buses, nobody actually knowing what will happen and HARD BREXIT NOW THANKS. If the vote had gone the other way and Cameron decided to go Hard EU within a few weeks and adopt the Euro, straight bananas and driving on the right etc it'd still need people to say 'we should probably discuss this first Dave'

covcity4life

You sound like a baby throwing his toys out of the pram ffs! It didn't go your way! Suck it up Buttercup!

lol i didnt bring it up did, just replying to thread. lifes too short to care about governments and people voting different ways to you.

if it gets reversed thats cool. if not hopefully we wont be as worse off as many fear

italiahorse

The referendum was advisory only

MP's voted in great numbers (544 to 53) to put the vote to the people so in effect they handed it over to us. Could be considered as legal ?
http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/583346/MPs-vote-favour-EU-referendum
The same proportion should agree if there is now a commons vote, but in reality it is a means to get a soft exit which will involve limited access to the free market but also allow Europe to still control immigration in some way.
Not what I voted for..

Sky Blue Kid

Out of interest, which of the European Laws is it you are so against us being told to follow?

Every UK law that is overuled by the EU ie- Fishing boundaries. We are are 50% down on what we are "Told" we can catch. Reclaiming control of our UK borders, Steel manufacturing cut. This might explain better than I can.....

How joining the EU led to a big decline in UK industry
By johnredwood | Published: June 16, 2016
There are also crucial issues to understand about how the asymmetric single market did damage to Uk industry. When we joined the EEC, now the EU, in 1973, more barriers to trade had been pulled down in manufacturing than in services. EU rules were often such that UK industry was badly damaged by the shock of joining and the continued shock of staying in as the rules increased and tightened.

When the UK joined the EU we had a 45 million tonnes a year steel industry. Today we are battling to save an 11 million tonnes industry.

When we joined the EU we had a 400,000 tonnes a year aluminium industry. Today we have just 43,000 tonnes of capacity left.

When we joined the EU we had 20 million tonnes of cement capacity. Today we have 12 million tonnes.

Just before we joined the EEC in 1971 we had a 1 million tonnes a year fishing industry. Today we have 600,000 tonnes.

The October 2013 government “Future of Manufacturing” Report shows that between 1951 and 1973 metals output rose 3% a year. Since joining the EEC/EU it has declined by more than 6%

Between 1951 and 1973 food and drink output rose by 5.6% per year. Since joining the EEC/EU it has fallen by 1% a year.

Between 1951 and 1973 textiles output expanded at 2.6% a year. Since joining the EEC/EU it has fallen by more than 6% a year.

Whilst it may not be fair to blame all this decline on membership of the EU, as there are other factors, it nonetheless shows categorically that joining the EU and helping create the so called single market has not helped us grow and has not saved many of our industries from decline.

In some cases EU policies are the main driver of the disaster. The Common Fishing Policy is clearly the main reason for the dreadful decline of our fishing industry, as many foreign vessels were licenced to take our fish. Our energy intensive businesses were often damaged by the high energy prices required by the EU common energy policy.

The EU has prevented UK subsidy of industry under its state aids rules, but has often provided subsidised loans and grants to businesses to set up elsewhere in the EU. The UK has seen a spate of factory closures balanced by new and expanded facilities in poorer EU countries. The UK lost van production to Turkey, car capacity to Slovakia, chocolate to Poland, domestic appliances to the Netherlands and the Czech Republic and metal containers to Poland amongst others in recent years. In various cases there was an EU grant or loan involved in the new capacity.

Looking at our huge balance of payments deficit today in goods with the rest of the EU, we can see the long term impact of the EU’s damage to our manufacturing capacity.

chiefdave

MP's voted in great numbers (544 to 53) to put the vote to the people so in effect they handed it over to us. Could be considered as legal ?
They voted on the European Union Referendum Act 2015 which is what is now being implemented. That act made no provision for the result to be legally binding on the current government or on any future government.

Sky Blue Kid

Would that be the same John Redwood who moved work from the UK to China and India as it was cheaper for his company?

What exactly are you getting at? Don't you think just about every Politician has a underlying regime? Is David Cameron the same David Cameron that 6 months prior to the Referendum wanted BREXIT? Is Theresa May the same Theresa May that 6 months prior to the Referendum wanted to REMAIN?

Users who are viewing this thread