Broadband issues (1 Viewer)

jon92

Need of some help...

For some reason my internet keeps dropping connectivity on my wireless devices, has only been happening last 2 days. Will disconnect like every half hour or so then reconnect after.

Spoke to the provider earlier and there going to send a engineer out for £50 but havent got a space free until 1st November.

Anyone got any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks

Nick

Administrator
Is it every device on wireless? Any firmware upgrades for your router? Do things still work if using a cable?

Get an app that checks wifi channels, your wifi could be conflicting.

jon92

Well it's all the wireless devices with the problem. Desktop pc is wired and that works fine.

And wouldn't be to sure about a firmware upgrade for the router.

Nick

Administrator
Check the channels then, could be conflicting. Try changing the channel it is running on in the router.

If not, get them to just send a replacement router.

mds

Have you reset the router, or on and off at the mains, also there is a hard reset button (at the back maybe the side (will completely reset router to default settings)) while off stick a pin or pen tip in and turn it on and hold the reset in for 10 seconds. Good for most issues.
Look your make and model up online, may have been auto updated recently causing issues, most manufacturers have support forums, sure you will find the answer their also guides to setup and maybe update your router.
Google is your friend!

Have you reset the router, or on and off at the mains, also there is a hard reset button (at the back maybe the side (will completely reset router to default settings)) while off stick a pin or pen tip in and turn it on and hold the reset in for 10 seconds. Good for most issues.
Look your make and model up online, may have been auto updated recently causing issues, most manufacturers have support forums, sure you will find the answer their also guides to setup and maybe update your router.
Google is your friend!

Works every time for me after doing that.

jon92

By changing router channels will not mess up my internet will it? Not to sure how the channel things work

jon92

Been reading and it says best channel is 1,6 or 11. On my router settings now it doesn't say channel just says "mcs: auto" is that channel?

mds

By changing router channels will not mess up my internet will it? Not to sure how the channel things work

No, anything you have connecting will scan and select the channel automatically unless you have manually changed them.
Did you try to reset it?

Been reading and it says best channel is 1,6 or 11. On my router settings now it doesn't say channel just says "mcs: auto" is that channel?
No, that is number of connections i think.
Dropped connections search have a gander
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r...hannel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=hbk-VLi3M8yehQfCjYGQAw

Last edited:

jon92

No, anything you have connecting will scan and select the channel automatically unless you have manually changed them.
Did you try to reset it?

Yeah tried the reset to factory settings was still the same. Changed it to channel 6 now see how it goes tonight, hard to tell because just randomly cuts out.

Had a similiar problem with my blackberry phone before when someone would ring my phone would cut off the wifi really random

Nookster

wireless disconnects

Hello jon,

Many things can interfere with your wireless signal including mobile phones, cordless phones, things like baby monitors as a lot of 'wireless' devices use the 2.4ghz range! As suggested if you are having trouble, try changing the channel for a few days which is essentially changing the radio frequency very slightly, this could help you avoid interference. Updating the firmware is a good idea too, if there is a firmware available you can check the current firmware version in your router setup page or it could also be printed on the back of the modem, if your ISP cannot point you in the right direction try to head over to the manufacturer of the router (which you will likely find the manufacturer in the router setup page) If there are firmware updates be sure that your router is the same model as the firmware is for - and be sure to only update the firmware via a wired connection (connected via network cable) especially since you are having wireless problems, failing to do so could leave your router as a paperweight ;-)

How old is your wireless router?

As on a more sinister note, your wireless could be under attack where someone does what is called 'deauthing' which causes your router to disconnect it's clients, as they reconnect the WPA handshake is sent by clients reconnecting to the router and captured by an attacker, this can then be taken and cracked elsewhere, in order to gain the password for your wireless, from there the attacker can do all sorts of mischief, There is however no need for an attacker to do this constantly if that was the case so you shouldn't experience it all the time - but you should be sure you have adequate wireless security in place, also ensure that WPS is disabled by default as on older routers this was a very successful attack method and hammering it (via brute force pin attack) could cause disconnects if you were under attack. This is probably unlikely but is something you should just make sure of.

Hope this helps,

Steve​

Last edited:

jon92

Cheers Steve. Connection been a lot better since changed the channel was set to auto before I changed it.

K

Kavomatovldag

Broadband i

LOCTITE, LOCTITE Its best to do while the machine is still new with no contaminants on the threads. We are experiencing the same issues

Users who are viewing this thread