Broadband (2 Viewers)

Marty

Looking at getting a new broadband deal. Just wanted to know that with fiber broadband would I need to have new cables ran around the house? or do they run through the current phone line?

Any good deals about?

I'm on BT Infinity currently, they've just jacked the prices up, the robbing bastards.

Nick

Administrator
If it is Virgin it wouldn't go through your phone line with their fibre I don't think.

Marty

I've been looking at Plusnet. £22.99p/m for 40mb broadband. with £80 cashback. £195 a year. doesn't seem too bad.

Marty

Is 1.9mb upload speed good enough for gaming?

Corrado

im with plusnet in my new house but not fibreoptic.

Im getting faster speeds now tho then when i was with BT infinity, and its free for a year (well £17 a month line rental) plus i got a £50 cheque in the post from them i wasnt expecting.

winner

Marty

im with plusnet in my new house but not fibreoptic.

Im getting faster speeds now tho then when i was with BT infinity, and its free for a year (well £17 a month line rental) plus i got a £50 cheque in the post from them i wasnt expecting.

winner
What speeds are you getting?

Sky Blue Kid

Been with Sky for over 14 years, and just about to go Fibre optic with them half price deal for "No cap 39-40 meg download"

Pipehitterz

I've never experienced broadband as good as virgin.
Ever
Never had a cap, and has the fastest speeds at all times.
I wouldn't change for anything

rd45

I had BT infinity but switched to plusnet a couple of years ago. I see BT are still whacking the prices up, which is what made me leave.

Plusnet is ok but noone's ever going to say it's the fastest. Sky or Virgin will beat them, probably also BT. Depends what you need though - does the job for me, can keep up with iPlayer in HD but I'm not a hardcore gamer so I don't care about pings. You get what you pay for.

I'll never go back to BT though. I could never make sense of the bills, and it was nearly always more expensive than what I'd signed up for.

dutchman

Plusnet is ok but noone's ever going to say it's the fastest.

Last time I checked their fibre upload speed was the fastest of any major domestic provider. (It may have changed since then).

The reason they're cheaper is that they're not cross-subsidising a loss-making video streaming service like all the other ISPs.

In my opinion they're the best compromise between price, performance and customer service.

Marty

Ignore my last post. just seen an advert for Vodafone, cheaper, faster then plusnet and I get a discount on top through my employer.

rd45

Ring Virgin up tell them your going elsewhere and they will knock a tenner of they did that for me

For a long time I was doing that with BT. Pain in the arse to do it, but if I insisted they'd eventually put me through to someone who'd drop the price, then I'd renew for another year. Then BT Sport happened, and they stopped doing deals. So I binned them & went to plusnet.

Covstu

I costed it up we can save about 18 pm by switching to talk talk. Don't watch too much TV, 75mb line so fits the bill

Nathccfc

For a long time I was doing that with BT. Pain in the arse to do it, but if I insisted they'd eventually put me through to someone who'd drop the price, then I'd renew for another year. Then BT Sport happened, and they stopped doing deals. So I binned them & went to plusnet.
How do you find plus net? My sky broadband is terrible, but need to find a way to get out.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

rd45

How do you find plus net? My sky broadband is terrible, but need to find a way to get out.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Plusnet is fine for me. Was an easy change because they reuse a lot of the same equipment as BT - just a new router - I had to ignore a lot of pleading from BT before they'd give me a PAC code to switch, but beyond that it was no drama. Now I pay about £32/month for line rental, offpeak calls (although I never make any on that phone) & unlimited broadband. There was a cashback that meant the first 3months was effectively free.

Probably it's not the very fastest available, but it's good enough.

Last edited:

dutchman

Is it why?

Unannounced interruptions to service for up to two hours at a time while they carry out maintenance, lax security of customers' personal details, unresponsive support staff, random price increases and withdrawal of discounts. The customer forum is a joke. Even before a recent makeover it took 24 hours to get a response from an operative. Since the makeover even the staff are unable to make contact with the technical department. Other Talk talk users have told me I have been lucky compared to their experiences, typically no phone line for days on end.

Covstu

Unannounced interruptions to service for up to two hours at a time while they carry out maintenance, lax security of customers' personal details, unresponsive support staff, random price increases and withdrawal of discounts. The customer forum is a joke. Even before a recent makeover it took 24 hours to get a response from an operative. Since the makeover even the staff are unable to make contact with the technical department. Other Talk talk users have told me I have been lucky compared to their experiences, typically no phone line for days on end.
i will avoid! Thanks Dutch

Pipehitterz

Agree with talk talk being the worst.
My Mrs had 18 months of hell , terrible coverage and customer service.

She paid off the last 3 months to allow her to move house, and was billed £250 for her 'Free ' you view smart box.
When she explained she'd paid her full contract up, they explained that in the small print, that if you didn't have the whole 18 months you had to pay for the box, which is bizarre seeing as she'd paid up the whole contract.
Flash forward to 3 attempts by them to send out a jiffy bag for her to send it back, when they failed to show, they sent debt letters and court threats because we hadn't sent it back.
When she did finally receive a jiffy bag, and sent it back, a month later they said she hadn't and were going ahead with the debt collectors.
She kept the post office receipt so she was in the right, and after explanation, they wanted the original receipt for their files.
My Mrs refused and offered a photo copy, seeing as they'd lost a box they could easily lose a bloody receipt.
They carried on with debt collectors letters and cold calling her until she finally spoke to someone with a brain at talk talk

skybluejelly

Agree with talk talk being the worst.
My Mrs had 18 months of hell , terrible coverage and customer service.

She paid off the last 3 months to allow her to move house, and was billed £250 for her 'Free ' you view smart box.
When she explained she'd paid her full contract up, they explained that in the small print, that if you didn't have the whole 18 months you had to pay for the box, which is bizarre seeing as she'd paid up the whole contract.
Flash forward to 3 attempts by them to send out a jiffy bag for her to send it back, when they failed to show, they sent debt letters and court threats because we hadn't sent it back.
When she did finally receive a jiffy bag, and sent it back, a month later they said she hadn't and were going ahead with the debt collectors.
She kept the post office receipt so she was in the right, and after explanation, they wanted the original receipt for their files.
My Mrs refused and offered a photo copy, seeing as they'd lost a box they could easily lose a bloody receipt.
They carried on with debt collectors letters and cold calling her until she finally spoke to someone with a brain at talk talk

Totally believable until the last line I reckon you made that bit up .. nobody At talk talk has a brain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread