Car with Caravan the wrong way down the motorway (1 Viewer)

CovInEssex

Absolute mental. Can only assume he got confused at the junction roundabout and went down the wrong slip road.

Why the fuck he never just pulled over, we'll never know.

Have to ask the question on when the elderly need to be re-tested.

Nick

Administrator
He obviously saw hundreds of cars coming the other way.

At that point like you say, just stay in the hard shoulder (if hes come the wrong way he has come down the slip road and turned left to go across the traffic). Going right to sit on the slip road until help comes.

rob9872

Apparently his wife phoned him up to warn him there was a car travelling in the wrong direction down the road he was on. He replied "what do you mean a car - there's bloody hundreds of them!"

CovInEssex

He obviously saw hundreds of cars coming the other way.

At that point like you say, just stay in the hard shoulder (if hes come the wrong way he has come down the slip road and turned left to go across the traffic). Going right to sit on the slip road until help comes.

The fact he's in the fast lane tells me he thought he was in the correct lane of the road, just on the wrong side of the fucking motorway. Terrifying for all involved.

tommydazzle

Unbelievable that he didn't pull over - big clue, you're on a motorway and there's oncoming traffic! No cones so it's not a contraflow situation.

When I was driving in France they had huge chevron signs on slip roads leading off roundabouts to motorways to make sure you couldn't take wrong one.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

The dash cam footage made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, it’s the way he’s flying along still, just slow, stop or ditch it into the hard shoulder or central reservation!! Don’t put your foot down!

eastwoodsdustman

The dash cam footage made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, it’s the way he’s flying along still, just slow, stop or ditch it into the hard shoulder or central reservation!! Don’t put your foot down!
I saw it yesterday and it’s scary to think that about a minute later 3 people were dead. I heard that it was Irish plates somewhere.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Must be dementia or something kicking in there surely?

Just carrying on like that surely makes it seem like more than just taking a wrong turn.

Otis

Three dead after car towing caravan drives wrong way down motorway

Apparently had foreign plates but how does somebody make that mistake?

Poor bloke in the other car just minding his own business died because of people who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a car :(
It's amazing isn't it.

You are probably aware of the mini roundabout at Radford Road/Keresley Road.

This is the only pic I can find. It's at the left of this photo.

14684_102996000057_IMG_01_0000_max_656x437.jpg

The flats are in Sadler Road right at the end of the road The Wallace/Coundon end.

If you go left it's Radord Road towards Radford Common and Aldi.

Right takes you on the Keresley Road towards the Wallace. If you go slightly right, then left that's Scots Lane.

The road coming up alongside Holloway Field from the Aldi direction becomes a dual carriageway for a little stretch.

Well lately I have seen two cars come down from the Wallace direction, come right around the roundabout as if they are heading towards Scots Lane, or going back round towards the Wallace.

They have turned left though into the oncoming traffic on the dual carriageway coming up from Aldi.

Scary!!!

It's a very odd little roundabout, but to turn left there into oncoming traffic?

Nick

Administrator
It is weird because until about a year ago I always thought when you turned left towards Radford Road that it was one way as there are one way signs after about 50 yards.

It wasn't until I saw a car coming towards me I realised that cars can come out and down that way.

Are there no entry signs to stop people going the wrong way?

Otis

It is weird because until about a year ago I always thought when you turned left towards Radford Road that it was one way as there are one way signs after about 50 yards.

It wasn't until I saw a car coming towards me I realised that cars can come out and down that way.

Are there no entry signs to stop people going the wrong way?
Nope.

In this case I am talking about the carriageway past that mind. The one you have mentioned is well dodgy. That's the one I come out of.

These two cars went down the next carriageway past the line of trees, going up the hill from town/Aldi direction. From Aldi towards the Wallace and Shepherd.

Both cars had to very quickly reverse back up the carriageway to the roundabout.

chiefdave

Only just seen the video, unbelievable. I'd assumed it had happened when there was hardly anybody else on the road, which would be bad enough. How do you get to the point of hurtling down the motorway not realising something is wrong?

duffer

Nope.

In this case I am talking about the carriageway past that mind. The one you have mentioned is well dodgy. That's the one I come out of.

These two cars went down the next carriageway past the line of trees, going up the hill from town/Aldi direction. From Aldi towards the Wallace and Shepherd.

Both cars had to very quickly reverse back up the carriageway to the roundabout.

Had it happen once to me on the A45 up by the old transport cafe past the Fosse Way roundabout. Someone had lost their bearings and turned right out of the cafe and was going the wrong way down the dual carriageway just as I came flying off the roundabout. No harm actually done, but I'd guess we both needed a change of underwear. Funnily enough, going the other way I've ended up facing the wrong way on the A45 myself just after that roundabout, but that was entirely my fault following some rather over-enthuastic cornering in the wet.

Last but not least, on one early Sunday morning, just past that stretch, an elderly priest complete with dog collar and hat pushed me over onto the central reservation at about 70mph. This when he decided at the very last second that he preferred the outside lane despite there being, quite literally, not another car on the road. That was a close one. When I caught him up just down the road (he didn't stop, obviously) and went to remonstrate after somehow hauling my car out of the grass and mud that was the reservation in those days, he simply tipped his hat in apology in such a polite way that I couldn't bring myself to get angry. I assume he was just trying to drum up a bit of business for the big fella upstairs!

CJ_covblaze

Awful tragedy. There should be some kind of proficiency test within a few months of someone turning a set age. Maybe 70? Should be a ban on towing from around that age too. Also the families of the older generation shouldn’t be afraid to bring the subject of their driving ability up. It’s not an easy thing to talk about obviously but an important one.

Corrado

twice late week alone, I was driving up the A46 slip road, getting off at stoneleigh and on two separate occasions cars were turning round after almost driving onto the A46 the wrong way!

skybluegod

Had a similar thing a couple weeks ago. Old Women had started to merge onto the M1 at J15A in Northampton, I was coming down slip road at 60MPH, until to suddenly see her driving towards me, had to swerve around her and she just carried on like it was normal!!

PTA

I don't understand why so many older people are so adamant they don't need re-testing after a certain age also, because by that logic taking a test would be a piece of piss for them and they'd pass.

wingy

It's amazing isn't it.

You are probably aware of the mini roundabout at Radford Road/Keresley Road.

This is the only pic I can find. It's at the left of this photo.

View attachment 10735

The flats are in Sadler Road right at the end of the road The Wallace/Coundon end.

If you go left it's Radord Road towards Radford Common and Aldi.

Right takes you on the Keresley Road towards the Wallace. If you go slightly right, then left that's Scots Lane.

The road coming up alongside Holloway Field from the Aldi direction becomes a dual carriageway for a little stretch.

Well lately I have seen two cars come down from the Wallace direction, come right around the roundabout as if they are heading towards Scots Lane, or going back round towards the Wallace.

They have turned left though into the oncoming traffic on the dual carriageway coming up from Aldi.

Scary!!!

It's a very odd little roundabout, but to turn left there into oncoming traffic?

The Planners / Engineers have seemed to move away from the rigid
rules that we all understand through repetition etc .
Knowing that at every Junction/intersection etc the rules are always the same ,no matter where we are in the British Isles .
Yet somehow little strange amendments have been creeping in over the last 20-30 years which naturally will lead to confusion.
Must be the same idiots who have approved the blinding halogens in many cars today, I can outblind you to see better where I'm going ,they must realise as they drive along the effect when they face the same coming the other way or behind their bumper.

skybluegod

I don't understand why so many older people are so adamant they don't need re-testing after a certain age also, because by that logic taking a test would be a piece of piss for them and they'd pass.

To be fair I don't think it should be specifically old people. I think there should be a dumbed down retest for everyone after x amount of years. Say every 10 years.

Ashdown

Aging population, foreign born population, drugs, alcohol, criminality, cops chasing, drivers meeting deadlines from demanding bosses, overcrowding , fucking stupid ' all lanes running ' motorways......the roads are indeed a nightmare.

smouch1975

We have these signs in Oz. Seems a bit comical but effective. And they are literally everywhere so taking the wrong lane must be common place.
I'm wondering if the guy was explicitly following his sat nav or something? wrong-way-sign-on-kwinana-260nw-220323166.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Otis

We have these signs in Oz. Seems a bit comical but effective. And they are literally everywhere so taking the wrong lane must be common place.
I'm wondering if the guy was explicitly following his sat nav or something? View attachment 10761

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk
Could be. They do tend to tell you, you are going the wrong way though. Mine is always doing it when I am in multi-storey car parks.

Quite often get 'You are going the wrong way down the street.'

My missus also gets it a lot, though she never uses car parks.

Users who are viewing this thread