Career Change (1 Viewer)

tom88

I work in technical sales for process instrumentation for pressure, flow, level and temperature monitoring.

money is good and I do enjoy it but I’m getting fed up with sales as a job, it gets more and more difficult in terms of customer visits as this is always measured from your boss etc.
ive smashed all my targets so due a nice bonus so will be holding out for the time being.

However, I was wondering if anyone has experience of a complete career change, how they went about it and what impact it’s had on you mentally, financially etc.

what did you do and what did you get into too?

id be happy to read your experiences

Brighton Sky Blue

I work in technical sales for process instrumentation for pressure, flow, level and temperature monitoring.

money is good and I do enjoy it but I’m getting fed up with sales as a job, it gets more and more difficult in terms of customer visits as this is always measured from your boss etc.
ive smashed all my targets so due a nice bonus so will be holding out for the time being.

However, I was wondering if anyone has experience of a complete career change, how they went about it and what impact it’s had on you mentally, financially etc.

Will let you know in 6 months' time. Moved from teaching back into academia-taken a considerable pay cut in order to do so but with the aim of a better work life balance and doing something I think I'll find more fulfilling.

shmmeee

Teaching to data science/engineering.

Did a Masters at 36, worked supply part time, had a stupidly low mortgage and a wife, still was pretty tough financially.

All worth it though, pay if better, work life balance is better. Miss it some days but that passes.

StrettoBoy

This is give you a more sensible answer than my jocular one above.

I have no personal experience of a complete career change but I can recount the experience of a friend. He gave up a very well paid job as a land surveyor, working for a property developer, because he found it too stressful. He went into teachng, which he thought would be less stressful, hated it and went back to his original career. More precisely he went back to his old job with his old employer.

I'm sorry it's rather a negative view and I'm sure for every such tale there are many where a career change has gone well.

If it was me, I would research the new career as much as possible and try to speak to people who are already in that line of business.

If you think it would be relatively easy to go back to what you do at present then what have you to lose by giving it a go? I wish you every success with whatever you decide.

Skybluefaz

Do you know what you want to do?

I went from retail manager to web developer.

It was hard, had a very young family at the time. Had to work nights 4 times a week, study (I chose to do a 6 year part time degree) and look after my children during the day for a large part of the week.

The night shifts I did for about 2 1/2 years were hell in the end and fucked me up mentally.

All worth it now, decent money. 4 day working week. Most importantly, doing a job I love.

StrettoBoy

Do you know what you want to do?

I went from retail manager to web developer.

It was hard, had a very young family at the time. Had to work nights 4 times a week, study (I chose to do a 6 year part time degree) and look after my children during the day for a large part of the week.

The night shifts I did for about 2 1/2 years were hell in the end and fucked me up mentally.

All worth it now, decent money. 4 day working week. Most importantly, doing a job I love.

Well done you for sticking at it 👍

Brighton Sky Blue

This is give you a more sensible answer than my jocular one above.

I have no personal experience of a complete career change but I can recount the experience of a friend. He gave up a very well paid job as a land surveyor, working for a property developer, because he found it too stressful. He went into teachng, which he thought would be less stressful, hated it and went back to his original career. More precisely he went back to his old job with his old employer.

I'm sorry it's rather a negative view and I'm sure for every such tale there are many where a career change has gone well.

If it was me, I would research the new career as much as possible and try to speak to people who are already in that line of business.

If you think it would be relatively easy to go back to what you do at present then what have you to lose by giving it a go? I wish you every success with whatever you decide.
If your friend thought that then he really didn’t do his homework, pun intended.

rob9872

Thinking of becoming a teacher. 18 weeks holiday per year, week of training days, 2 weeks striking, week of bad weather, some exam invigilation days, don't bother doing anything if the school is crumbling and only 25 hours per week when they're actually in 😉🤣🤣

Brighton Sky Blue

Thinking of becoming a teacher. 18 weeks holiday per year, week of training days, 2 weeks striking, week of bad weather, some exam invigilation days, don't bother doing anything if the school is crumbling and only 25 hours per week when they're actually in 😉🤣🤣
Ordinarily I would take this in jest but considering the state my wife is in thanks to workload problems, you can go fuck yourself.

Kneeza

I went from being a time-served machinist on the shop floor, to being a Technical Author after seeing an ad on the notice board there for a Trainee.
Same company; completely different discipline.
Never looked back, and retired as an Editor.
Best move I ever made.

Ian1779

You wouldn’t last a week…. Far too soft 😉

Users who are viewing this thread