ccfc out of running for le fondre (1 Viewer)

skybluegod

COVENTRY CITY have ruled out a move for Adam Le Fondre - because Rotherham United wanted a transfer fee for their star player.
The Sky Blues reportedly made a £500,000 bid for the 24-year-old goalscorer but the Millers wanted £1.5m for the player.
The Telegraph understands that the Sky Blues were interested in bringing Le Fondre to the Ricoh Arena but have not made a bid.
And it is understood that the fact that the Millers are looking for a fee for the striker rules cash-strapped City out of the equation.

So one of the best strikers we thought we could get is a no go. so who do you think we should try get now?

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/co...ty-out-of-adam-le-fondre-move-92746-29120036/

CovScott88

We've got to be looking for Premiership loanee's. We can't afford to buy anyone, so that's the only way we can go. Mind you, we better get a move on otherwise there will be no-one left!

Dan Griffin

Think it was a bid everyone at the club knew would fail just to give us fans something to get excited about, if not I'm interested to see what happens to that "£500,000" now :))

sw88

Chief Commentator!
In todays footballing industry, is £1.5m really alot to be asked for, considering hes their 'star striker'?? Whats the betting we lose out on him now to one of the bigger / ambitious clubs who are willing to meet the £1.5m price tag? OK, hes unproven at this level but the boy obviously has quality about him, and surely its a risk worth taking?? I cant imagine he would ask for over the odds wages, so surely this wouldnt hurt us too much financially?? I bet his annual wage request + £1.5m price tag is probably just as much, if not less, than what we would have been paying Marlon King a yr had we not pissed about with that deal!

Sky Blue Sheepy

In todays footballing industry, is £1.5m really alot to be asked for, considering hes their 'star striker'?? Whats the betting we lose out on him now to one of the bigger / ambitious clubs who are willing to meet the £1.5m price tag? OK, hes unproven at this level but the boy obviously has quality about him, and surely its a risk worth taking?? I cant imagine he would ask for over the odds wages, so surely this wouldnt hurt us too much financially?? I bet his annual wage request + £1.5m price tag is probably just as much, if not less, than what we would have been paying Marlon King a yr had we not pissed about with that deal!

When you're losing £500k a month, £1.5m is a lot

kg82

True, but we're not the only football team making a loss and it hasnt stopped them investing. Dont get me wrong i dont want to see us getting ourselves into a financial mess, however I am concerned (as are many others) that we have no ambition under SISU.

Too late dude, too late!

procdoc

wow, we can't even buy league 1/2 players nowadays. Shows you the reality of the situation under these clowns doesn't it?

kg82

wow, we can't even buy league 1/2 players nowadays. Shows you the reality of the situation under these clowns doesn't it?

I don't think it really matters what division they're in if the club is asking for an extortionate price. It's not as if the player turned us down.

Il Pirata

His contract expires in summer 2012, for a League 2 striker he can't be worth more than £1m in those circumstances.

CovScott88

His contract expires in summer 2012, for a League 2 striker he can't be worth more than £1m in those circumstances.

That's why it sickens me hearing the figures banded about for Sammy Clingan, Ben Turner and Lukas Jutkiewicz. Barely more than Rotherham are asking for Le Fondre. I know our financial situation is different, but some of the prices quoted for our players is disgusting.

ashbyjan

AT cannot spend anytging because we have no money - the club never actually put a bid in - when they heard that Rotherham actually wanted money we didn't pursue it. Don't hold your breath for any loanees as they cost money as well - also Prem teams will only be releasing kids and we have enough of them of our own.

procdoc

I don't think it really matters what division they're in if the club is asking for an extortionate price. It's not as if the player turned us down.

I'm not saying he turned us down, I'm suggesting that it is a sad state of affairs that we can't afford to pay fees for league 2 players

kg82

I'm not saying he turned us down, I'm suggesting that it is a sad state of affairs that we can't afford to pay fees for league 2 players

I know, but what I meant was it doesn't matter if that fee had been for a player in the prem, championship or league 1, we still wouldn't be persuing an interest. For a league 2 club to ask for that much for a player who isn't proven at this level, only has a year left on his contract and who I believe has rejected any new contract put in front of him is just ridiculous. It's only sensible to not go through with it and I can't see any club paying anywhere near that much for him. It's nothing to do with our financial situation. In fact, it would be this sort of blind bit of business that would get clubs into trouble financially in the first place.

rob9872

His record is comparable with a certain Freddie Eastwood at that level. I know you can't benchmark everything against FE, but its an indication that it doesn't always work Andy Morrell scored 36 in that league the season before we signed him. Perhaps it's just us - I reckon we could coach it out of MEssi and Ronaldo

procdoc

I know, but what I meant was it doesn't matter if that fee had been for a player in the prem, championship or league 1, we still wouldn't be persuing an interest. For a league 2 club to ask for that much for a player who isn't proven at this level, only has a year left on his contract and who I believe has rejected any new contract put in front of him is just ridiculous. It's only sensible to not go through with it and I can't see any club paying anywhere near that much for him. It's nothing to do with our financial situation. In fact, it would be this sort of blind bit of business that would get clubs into trouble financially in the first place.

his club are only protecting their interests, I bet if a club offered less than the asking price they'd accept. I don't see why they'd want to or should lose their top star on the cheap despite his contract situation

kg82

his club are only protecting their interests, I bet if a club offered less than the asking price they'd accept. I don't see why they'd want to or should lose their top star on the cheap despite his contract situation

Without a doubt. But clubs won't spend anywhere near that much to get him and in the end the only team losing out will be Rotherham. They've priced him out the market really and we know more than any other team, if a player wants to leave and let his contract run down that's exactly what he'll do.

procdoc

Without a doubt. But clubs won't spend anywhere near that much to get him and in the end the only team losing out will be Rotherham. They've priced him out the market really and we know more than any other team, if a player wants to leave and let his contract run down that's exactly what he'll do.

I agree, which is why I think they'd accept a bid in the region of 800k for him

Users who are viewing this thread