Chip shop prices (1 Viewer)

Macca

I may well be out of touch but I've just paid £6 for a small battered sausage large chips and a can of Coke. I questioned it to find it was right. The large portion of chopped up potatoes was 3 pounds fucking 20. Is this normal?

Nick

Administrator
There's one in Galley Common, fish, chips and peas for about £3. Have a pizza as well for £3 and job done.

Grendel

I may well be out of touch but I've just paid £6 for a small battered sausage large chips and a can of Coke. I questioned it to find it was right. The large portion of chopped up potatoes was 3 pounds fucking 20. Is this normal?

The chips should serve about 4 people though?

fernandopartridge

Chippies in Cov are expensive. Much cheaper up north despite virtually all other costs being equal.

Marty

Fish chips and a curry sauce is nearly £8 from Gabriel's on earlsdon high street. Usually get it on a Friday lunchtime after work and then I won't eat again until Saturday evening so think it's good value.

Westendlad

Fish chips and a curry sauce is nearly £8 from Gabriel's on earlsdon high street. Usually get it on a Friday lunchtime after work and then I won't eat again until Saturday evening so think it's good value.
So you don't eat for over 24 hrs ?? !

Gazolba

There's no fish and chip shops where I live. You have to order it in a restaurant, and then when you ask for vinegar, you get a funny look.
It's about double the price anyone has mentioned above.
I have it about once every 6 months, since I rarely eat in restaurants where it's on the menu.

Sumo the Micky Quinn

When I left the UK in 2009, Petes Chippy in Nuneaton were selling 50p bags of chips, Actually there were 2 Petes, one on Croft Road, the other one recently (in 2009) opened in Chapel End and another rival in the Chapel End area also selling 50p bags of chips. Very small portions compared to normal but enough for one person and if memory serves correctly I think you could get fish & chips for about £1.20, again a grannies portion fish, a little bit bigger than a fish finger.

Last edited:

Otis

Think the last time I bought fish and chips they were two shillings and sixpence.

ovduk78

You should all be happy you don't live up here in Callander, most expensive and worst chips I have ever had, we paid just under £20 for fish and chips, battered sausage and chips and a king rib with no chips. We usually head over to Bridge of Allan, about 14 miles away, to get decent chips but then they aren't as good as any I have had in Rugby or Coventry. And don't get me started on deep frying the pies, just put it in a microwave ffs!! Whenever I come down to Rugby the first takeaway is always the chip shop.

Terry Gibson's perm

I had a piece of haddock and a small chips last night which was £6.10 I think (lost a bit of focus when paying as it was a pretty lady serving me)

Reactions: vow

SBAndy

Jim's chippy in Attleborough (Nuneaton) does a mini-fish, chips and mushy peas tray meal for £3.90. The fish is anything but mini, it's huge.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I remember a portion of chips being a tanner (6d in old money or 2½p today!) And if you were really skint, you could ask for a bag of scratchings and get a load of bits of batter with maybe a full chip or two inside!

skyblueinBaku

I remember a portion of chips being a tanner (6d in old money or 2½p today!) And if you were really skint, you could ask for a bag of scratchings and get a load of bits of batter with maybe a full chip or two inside!
I remember that, too HH. A long time ago!

Nick

Administrator
18.20 for a pizza, chips with curry sauce, fish and chips with peas, mixed kebab, salad and chips.

Not too bad. Dominoes would be that for a pizza

Grendel

18.20 for a pizza, chips with curry sauce, fish and chips with peas, mixed kebab, salad and chips.

Not too bad. Dominoes would be that for a pizza

The Pizza Hut takeaways are a fiver each - bargain

ovduk78

I kjnow it's not pizza really ;) but pitta bread with a tin of tomatoes and some cheddar, and topping of your choice grilled is a half decent quick and easy snack.
Or put the toppings between 2 tortillas, gently heat in a frying pan to make a quesadilla, mmmmm delicious

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Mate of mine at work (before I retired), used to bring in a salami and thinly slice it and fry it. (We had a small kitchenette in our tea-break room). It used to smell lovely but I never tried it myself.

Gazolba

I kjnow it's not pizza really ;) but pitta bread with a tin of tomatoes and some cheddar, and topping of your choice grilled is a half decent quick and easy snack.
Naan bread and fresh sliced tomatoes are even better.

skybluesam66

When I left the UK in 2009, Petes Chippy in Nuneaton were selling 50p bags of chips, Actually there were 2 Petes, one on Croft Road, the other one recently (in 2009) opened in Chapel End and another rival in the Chapel End area also selling 50p bags of chips. Very small portions compared to normal but enough for one person and if memory serves correctly I think you could get fish & chips for about £1.20, again a grannies portion fish, a little bit bigger than a fish finger.
Petes in Bedworth still £1.99 for mini fish and chips - which is sufficient for 1
However if you want quality go for Jims

Users who are viewing this thread