Chuffed with the news. (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 4232
  • Start date

stupot07

Yes. However theyre probably closer than the ricoh vs butts.

15.2 miles....... Geography not your strong point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Ashdown

The only people who will support this bullshit in Coventry are people who have no loyal affiliation with the City itself and all of it's historical sports teams. I can't see many City, Cov, Bees or Blaze fans wanting to be associated with this travesty.

D

Deleted member 4232

Wasps academy has to stay in London under RFU rules. And can you honestly see Wasps allowing CRFC to move up the leagues and split their fanbase - which will likely be rather small in any case.

There are plenty of other top players from Cov btw, I was only thinking of the ones that went to my school. ;)

Could've been me too, if only it wasn't for my unfortunate and disabling lack of any actual talent.

I swear I read they were going to build them locally. Will look for that tomorrow. But until then, you sound more certain. I don't think the fans will 'split'. I think if youre a fan of the current CRFC then you will be a fan for life. Unfortunately i'm relatively new to coventry, so Wasps hold as much attachment to the city as CRFC do. Plus, i'd rather pay that tiny bit extra to see that whole lot more.

D

Deleted member 4232

15.2 miles....... Geography not your strong point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Haha i guess not! I thought it was a stones throw. Scratch that one off the list then.

Ashdown

I swear I read they were going to build them locally. Will look for that tomorrow. But until then, you sound more certain. I don't think the fans will 'split'. I think if youre a fan of the current CRFC then you will be a fan for life. Unfortunately i'm relatively new to coventry, so Wasps hold as much attachment to the city as CRFC do. Plus, i'd rather pay that tiny bit extra to see that whole lot more.

At least you are honest about your heritage, but I doubt there will be enough of your demographic types to make up for the loss of the genuine Southern Wasps supporters, so prepare for some cold windswept empty stands !

Otis

What is 100% clear, and CCC are too embarrassed even to acknowledge, is that after all the sixfields stuff CCC are now facilitating a franchise and a club being taken from its community and heritage, against the wishes of its supporters, and accommodated in a place with which it has no connection whatsoever. If CCFC were now to relocate 100 miles away no one who supports the wasps deal can argue against it.

Well, I'd agree. Tis different for some people though and we are all different. When it's your own club it obviously affects you more and that's what I think some people are feeling.

I feel uneasy about Wasps coming in, but for some City fans, they cannot see the tangible result this is having on Wasps fans. When it is happening to yourself you obviously suffer the consequences more intensely because it is so much closer to home. It then affects you on a personal level.

Sympathies for Wasps predicament isn't going to be the same as the feeling you get when you are affected personally by something and when it happens to someone else, you are not getting any of that affect they are feeling, unless you try and put yourself in their shoes.

I feel bad about the whole thing, but some are probably not because it is not affecting them personally.

I'm sure they would change their minds if they actually spoke to Wasps fans or went on their forums, but here in Coventry, isolated in our own little world, I can see why some are a bit more nonchalant about outsiders coming in against having what you love, have taken away.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4232

At least you are honest about your heritage, but I doubt there will be enough of your demographic types to make up for the loss of the genuine Southern Wasps supporters, so prepare for some cold windswept empty stands !
Ahhh ive seen city play enough times to be hardened to it!

duffer

Mate, it's a free country, and I've yet to meet a Kiwi I didn't get on with. But this is brutally unfair to Wasps fans and I'd actually appeal to your better nature not to support it.

I think Wasps owners have spun a bit of a line to the council here about the academy, but the rules (at least as reported in the Daily Telegraph) are clear. The RFU will only approve the move if Wasps academy remains in the county of origin (i.e. London).

And I can't believe you think the beer at Cov RFC is overpriced. I'm guessing that you never drink at CCFC, and that you time your round so that you always end up in Wetherspoons when it's your shout. Admit it!

duffer

Read all the 'posts', it's got to be a joke thread?

I didn't think it was until you arrived.

An Englishman, and Irishman and a Scot walk into a pub. The barman says, "What, is this some kind of a joke?"

Night all. Tell your friends, I'm here all week.

Brighton Sky Blue

Mate, it's a free country, and I've yet to meet a Kiwi I didn't get on with. But this is brutally unfair to Wasps fans and I'd actually appeal to your better nature not to support it.

I think Wasps owners have spun a bit of a line to the council here about the academy, but the rules (at least as reported in the Daily Telegraph) are clear. The RFU will only approve the move if Wasps academy remains in the county of origin (i.e. London).

And I can't believe you think the beer at Cov RFC is overpriced. I'm guessing that you never drink at CCFC, and that you time your round so that you always end up in Wetherspoons when it's your shout. Admit it!

If Wasps had enough money to buy the Ricoh shareholding they had enough to build their own closer to home without uprooting the fanbase. That Guy I suspect will be in a firm minority of people in Coventry who will take up the chance to watch top flight rugby considering how little interest in it there seems to be in the city, coupled with probably small numbers of Wasps fans going up to Coventry every week. We already have 2 Premiership rugby teams within 30 miles (Leicester/Northampton) and our own Cov RFC. Crowds will be pitiful.

duffer

It would be many multiples to build a similar facility in or around London.

Possibly, although it doesn't seem to have stopped a number of football clubs. You've also got the ability to build on land unsuitable for housing for various reasons, or take over land covenanted for sports use only etc. Was this actually the best deal for Wasps, or the best deal for Wasps' owner?

Users who are viewing this thread