Cian Harries and George Thomas (1 Viewer)

CJ_covblaze

Both are 21 and are playing U23 football. In the current climate they can’t really be judged as a failure for another couple of years. How old was Jessie Lingard when he first had a proper run in the United First team? 24. 18 months later he’s probably in our starting line up at the World Cup

rob9872

I hope it doesn't sound too bitter but I wasn't disappointed when either of them left or Stevens n for that matter. Im clearly wrong as Prem managers rate them but I didnt view any as good as Madders and if they'd stayed I doubt we'd habe seen so much of Bayliss or Shipley this season who I both rate higher. If we commanded a reasonable fee then they balanced the books and still helped contribute to last seasons success by aiding the budget.

rob9872

you rate Shipley higher than George Thomas ?
Yes I do.
Imo a great work effort, terrific first touch and a year younger in development too. Will definitely improve again and get more physical, just not sure where his position will ultimately end up but I think possibly even in a more central role. I think massively underrated contribution to last season's success with a comparable goal record to GT from left side midfield and played less games too. I'll concede that GT did score the better of the two Wembley goals though.

Captain Dart

Yes I do.
Imo a great work effort, terrific first touch and a year younger in development too. Will definitely improve again and get more physical, just not sure where his position will ultimately end up but I think possibly even in a more central role. I think massively underrated contribution to last season's success with a comparable goal record to GT from left side midfield and played less games too. I'll concede that GT did score the better of the two Wembley goals though.
I think you're spot on about the physicality, he is quite a strong lad already at 20.

Mucca Mad Boys

Harries was right to leave, as I genuinely think Robins would’ve preferred an experienced L2 CB starting — similar to Stevenson’s diminished role.

George Thomas, however, has wasted a year of his career and momentum from his final half season with us is gone. At best, he goes to a Championship club on loan, at worst, another year in the U23s. His alternative was staying with us, probably scoring 15 goals minimum in L2 with a promotion and part of our back-to-back promotion attempt. I wouldn’t have been glamourous playing for one season in L2, but he needs as much first team football as possible and he got none last year. He’s missed out on a decent football education in L2 for a year of playing U23s football — which would’ve been lower than L1 and L2 standard (look at U23 teams in the Checkatrade). He’s got the consolation of a Wales call up, but that will be his first and last caps if he isn’t playing first team football.

If Bayliss, JP or Shipley want a blueprint of what not to do, then they should talk to Thomas.

Users who are viewing this thread