Clattenburg (1 Viewer)

Covstu

anyone following this story? For me I kind of get his understanding in that spurs would have blamed him for the loss or draw rather than them bottling it as usual. The other side says if it is a red, it’s a red!

Otis

How odd for him to come out with stuff like 'I allowed them [Spurs] to self-destruct so all the media, all the people in the world went: 'Tottenham lost the title.''

And also .....

"Some referees would have played by the book; Tottenham would have been down to seven or eight players and probably lost and they would've been looking for an excuse, but I didn't give them an excuse, because my gameplan was: Let them lose the title."

Otis

And here was me thinking the whole purpose of referees was to play it by the book and enforce the rules.
He says he has been taken out of context, but still, he said what he said and should have worded it so much better.

If there are three red card offences in a game then it should be three red cards. If you have sent three off and a fourth red card offence takes place, the fact that you have already issued three red cards shouldn't come into it.

As said in the the OP, if it's a red it's a red.

Last edited:

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

He says he has been taekn out of context, but still, he said what he said and should have worded it so much better.

If there are three red card offences in a game then it should be three red cards. If you have sent three off and a fourth red card offence takes place, the fact that you have already issued three red cards shouldn't come into it.

As said in the the OP, if it's a red it's a red.

Agree i.e. The most recent one Is that tackle in the NI v Swiss game, as it happened in the 5th minute and not the 85th it wasn't given as a red, the minute shouldn't matter.

Saying that none of Clattenberg's comments surprise me, I've watched more than my fair share of ref performances over the past 20 years!

olderskyblue

If a player get sent off (justifiably), it's not the ref that's spoiled the "occasion", it's the player.

Nick

Administrator
Why would a ref need a gameplan or tactics? They should be there watching the game where the players and managers have the gameplans and just apply the rules and ref the match.

After seeing some ref performances this season, they certainly do need looking into.

Terry Gibson's perm

Referees like club owners have become to well known and think they are the people you go to watch and not the players

Nick

Administrator
Even in the Premier League, I still smile at the first time I came across Roy Keane. He screamed at us for a corner and I'm sure it was a goal kick but because he screamed at us so loudly, I gave a corner, I was that petrified of him.

Hardly showing himself as a ref in a great way is he?

Nick

Administrator
Makes you wonder about the refs that are still going.

Are they going into matches with a plan? Are they being controlled by players?

We see it enough with linos when they stand there looking thick, then whenever the first person appeals they get it.

lifeskyblue

Some refs are prima donnas, some are unfit and I question the knowledge (of the game) of others. Some are more lenient than others especially early in games etc etc.
Clattenburg here is a fool for going public: he should apply the rules based on the evidence he sees and we all know every fan, player, manager and ref can see things differently.
Up to now I’ve felt refs are good, bad, incompetent etc but not cheats. Its players who try and cheat to get an advantage. This is the first time I have questioned the integrity of a ref rather than merely suggesting he is sh*t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speedie87

Refs in league 2 are shocking if only our fans realised the power they have over them we,d win more matches at least twice this season refs have panicked and sent players off against us when I few ppl started shouting off off off after a tackle

Adge

Like every job there are good and bad referees. Clattenburg and Oliver are the best by a mile. Others not so great like Jonathan Moss are all still there on merit and will regularly be monitored regarding fitness/decision's etc. Trust me, as a senior county referee who has done promotions to get to my level, these guys are dedicated. One thing I have learned being a referee over the years is that the best ones are always sitting in the stands shouting the loudest.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Like every job there are good and bado referees. Clattenburg and Oliver are the best by a mile. Others not so great like Jonathan Moss are all still there on merit and will regularly be monitored regarding fitness/decision's etc. Trust me, as a senior county referee who has done promotions to get to my level, these guys are dedicated. One thing I have learned being a referee over the years is that the best ones are always sitting in the stands shouting the loudest.

You aren't attwells old man are you?

Users who are viewing this thread