Closed Cockpits in Formula One (1 Viewer)

After Jules Bianchi's terrible crash in Suzuka, the debate of whether to enforce closed-cockpit cars in Formula One has resurfaced. Do you think the FIA needs to look into this possibility? I for one don't believe they would improve safety by much. Yes, they would have prevented Felipe Massa's injuries when he was hit by a suspension spring in 2009, but it wouldn't have helped Bianchi, as his injury was caused by his brain moving inside the skull, not because his head came into contact with an object. Also, in the event of a fire or if the car had overturned, I in fact think closed-cockpits could increase the risk to drivers. They could even speed the cars up due to the air flow over the cockpit lid. Whats your view?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Absolutely not. They would then surely be classed as saloon-type cars?
I've watched the video of Bianchi's smash. Believe me, any form of protection wasn't going to help him! The impact lifted the bloody JCB off the ground! The FIA stewards and circuit managers are the one's to blame here. They should have stopped the race way before this happened. The drivers were all saying the same!

Bianchi's injury was caused by his brain moving in the skull, not the impact with the JCB. Richard Hammond suffered a very similar injury in that dragster accident in 2006

Houchens Head

Liam, I'm sure anyone's brain would move inside their skull during an impact with a JCB! They're a friggin' heavy object! It was the IMPACT that caused his brain to move! How else would it have moved? I just don't get where you're coming from and what you're trying to say?

Nick

Administrator
Liam, I'm sure anyone's brain would move inside their skull during an impact with a JCB! They're a friggin' heavy object! It was the IMPACT that caused his brain to move! How else would it have moved? I just don't get where you're coming from and what you're trying to say?
No his brain just decided to have a little jig

Houchens Head

Whatever it was, closed cockpits aren't the answer. I just don't see how they will benefit the drivers. And as Wingy says, not good in a fire scenario.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Why don't they just look where they're going?.....I mean, they are all going in the same direction & there are no HGV's, buses, cyclists or pedestrians in "phone trance" causing them any agro.....

.....call themselves drivers? Pah....

The FIA are enforcing new rules which will see many more Safety Car deployments and Red Flags. Takes the edge off the racing a little bit but F1 needs to be safe for drivers, spectators and workers

Users who are viewing this thread