Coffee Shop Or The Pub ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

In the paper today story featured on how coffee shops are now more popular with people than going to the pub. With pubs closing down rapidly, the rise of outlets like Starbucks and Costa are booming.
I'm not really a coffee drinker so never go in the above mentioned places, but I do know they are very trendy. But I can't see you saying to your mates before a match " meet you all in Starbucks on Saturday, we can have a few coffees and some lively banter. "
Maybe I'm old fashioned but is this the future ?

clint van damme

There's a time and a place for both, pre match, it's not the coffee shop! Though I'm prepared to be contradicted on that!
My mate owns a gym and he reckons they're the new pubs and I'd say that he has a point, but again, not pre match!

Nick

Administrator
I still get offended by "lads" going for coffee. Whatever happened to the pub for a game of pool?

When younger if I ever text my mate asking if he wants to meet me for a Latte I'd have been outted there and then.

bringbackrattles

On Saturday going to the Notts County game the coach stopped off at Ruddington a village a few miles away from the ground. Told we had 2 hours before pick up.
What did we all do ? Straight into the pub not a coffee shop or cafe. It's what we do isn't it ?

Kingokings204

I got to admit me and my mate go to Starbucks or costa at the Ricoh before the game. It’s part of our pre match routine and everyone has one. We park in car park c and then into costa for a sandwich and a coffee and leave about 2.45pm.

We enjoy it. Never drunk whilst watching any football. I enjoy coffee shops in general and I’m a costa coffee card holder. Get great points.

But I enjoy the pub also and love a game of pool or darts. Love a beer or two also. So I enjoy them all I guess.

Otis

I got to admit me and my mate go to Starbucks or costa at the Ricoh before the game. It’s part of our pre match routine and everyone has one. We park in car park c and then into costa for a sandwich and a coffee and leave about 2.45pm.

We enjoy it. Never drunk whilst watching any football. I enjoy coffee shops in general and I’m a costa coffee card holder. Get great points.

But I enjoy the pub also and love a game of pool or darts. Love a beer or two also. So I enjoy them all I guess.
If you and your mates want to go for coffee, go for a coffee. If you want to go to a pub, go to the pub. I see no problem with either.

Never, ever drank before a match and never been for a coffee either, but each and every to their own and don't a lot of coffee shops sell beer anyway?

NorthernWisdom

Don't have to have coffee in a coffee shop...

Anyway, Starbucks are more evil than McDonald's. If it's an independent one or smaller company than fine, but tbh my taste is old man's country pubs and a nice meal, nowadays. Fall asleep if I try drinking more than about two pints!

shmmeee

Coffee shops in Amsterdam, pubs anywhere else.

Rather just have decent coffee at home for half the price with only people I like.

wingy

I still get offended by "lads" going for coffee. Whatever happened to the pub for a game of pool?

When younger if I ever text my mate asking if he wants to meet me for a Latte I'd have been outted there and then.
I heard a new one on CNN last night 'Purse Puppies ', a reference to the Paris Hiltons of this world transferred to suggest Effeminacy, chuckle. :p

Grendel

Nothing compares to a day in the pub with your mates chatting nonsense and having a laugh.

To be fair you don’t need to go to a pub to chat nonsense.

Otis

Results went our way tonight.

Anyone fancy a swift one down at Costa Cafe? Biscotti's on me (was always a messy eater).

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

What a pair of metrosexual wet wipes. Wasps have got a netball team you know

Ashdown

Its not my future BBR......I'll only go in a costa or starbucks for a shit.......and only then if I know its gonna be a fucking stinker.....high-street homogenising, tax dodging, environmental vandal cunts......

The pub is king.
Well I wasn't going to be so blunt or vociferous but I'm quite close with the opinion. I like pubs, I like old and characterful pubs, not those with a handful of regular drunks but those with history and a certain quirkiness. Above all I like proper draught beer.............I like coffee too but not enough to pay extravagant amounts for it. You are more likely to meet and talk to people in an alehouse rather than a franchise coffee outlet.

BackRoomRummermill

My thoughts coffee shops between 0800 to 1600 week days only , any other time Pub

I mean who works with a load of guys and girls doing hard work all day then goes for a ‘coffee’ pah

hill83

I've been in a coffee shop once. I think it was a Costa and it was about a fiver for a black coffee. Never again.
Pub for me.

vow

Pub also.
Coffee shops are too expensive for what ya get.
Plus you can buy "frothy Coffee" in most pubs now anyhow.

Otis

Pub also.
Coffee shops are too expensive for what ya get.
Plus you can buy "frothy Coffee" in most pubs now anyhow.
Yeah, but you do know where the froth comes from for the pub made ones don't you?

Reactions: vow

Bumberclart

Bastard coffee shops have increased the price of my cup of tea by a ridiculous amount.
Tea was always less than a quid a few years ago, when Costa/Starbucks came along and everywhere charges nearly £2 for a brew. Usually for some shit Typhoo rubbish.

Coffee is the piss of the devil!!!!

Mr T - Sukka!

Got it sorted for match days.

Coffee in a coffee shop for fannys.
Pints of beer for men in the pub.

Joking aside i really dont get the coffee shop appeal at all. And you always get someone on a laptop pretending to do some work. Why is that?

Otis

Got it sorted for match days.

Coffee in a coffee shop for fannys.
Pints of beer for men in the pub.

Joking aside i really dont get the coffee shop appeal at all. And you always get someone on a laptop pretending to do some work. Why is that?
Surely it's no different from them being at work and pretending to do some work there.

Users who are viewing this thread