Conor Chaplin - Signing Confirmed (Finally!) (2 Viewers)

Robin Fisher

This transfer saga has become more and more ridiculous as time drags on. On the one hand Kenny Jackett is doing the sensible thing from our clubs perspective by holding out until he can get a replacement for Chaplin but at the same time it is making you chaps curmudgeonous, and it is doing the player himself no good either. I feel for Conor Chaplin as it must have been difficult to come to this decision to leave the club he and his family have supported from the terraces. All he ever wanted to do was pull on a Pompey shirt and play for the club he loves. That is Conor Chaplin the Pompey fan but Conor Chaplin the professional footballer needs to leave his beloved club to pursue his career because he obviously does not fit in to Kenny Jackett's plans. Quite why that is is a mystery when he is looking for a pacey striker that scores goals and he has got one here right under his nose. In the old days a good manager made the best of what players he had at his disposal and made a success of it whereas to a good manager today has a fixation on how he wants his team to play so he gets players in to fit that style. Usually today that style is boring possession football using a solitary lone striker. I think Chaplin is going to Coventry but I wish he wasn't, in fact I would rather Kenny Jackett went to Coventry.

SlowerThanPlatt

This transfer saga has become more and more ridiculous as time drags on. On the one hand Kenny Jackett is doing the sensible thing from our clubs perspective by holding out until he can get a replacement for Chaplin but at the same time it is making you chaps curmudgeonous, and it is doing the player himself no good either. I feel for Conor Chaplin as it must have been difficult to come to this decision to leave the club he and his family have supported from the terraces. All he ever wanted to do was pull on a Pompey shirt and play for the club he loves. That is Conor Chaplin the Pompey fan but Conor Chaplin the professional footballer needs to leave his beloved club to pursue his career because he obviously does not fit in to Kenny Jackett's plans. Quite why that is is a mystery when he is looking for a pacey striker that scores goals and he has got one here right under his nose. In the old days a good manager made the best of what players he had at his disposal and made a success of it whereas to a good manager today has a fixation on how he wants his team to play so he gets players in to fit that style. Usually today that style is boring possession football using a solitary lone striker. I think Chaplin is going to Coventry but I wish he wasn't, in fact I would rather Kenny Jackett went to Coventry.

6 points from 6 so far and finished 5 points off the play offs last year in your first season back in L1?

Football can’t be that bad if it’s producing results? Looking at your squad he’s had little money to spend and has relied on acquisitions from the lower leagues

The scorer against Luton Lowe came from Hampton & Richmond Borough and the scorer against Blackpool came from Derry City for £100,000. We paid more for Bakayoko from Walsall

I’ll gladly swap your 6 points and boring football for our 1 point :)

JulianDarbyFTW

6 points from 6 so far and finished 5 points off the play offs last year in your first season back in L1?

Football can’t be that bad if it’s producing results? Looking at your squad he’s had little money to spend and has relied on acquisitions from the lower leagues

The scorer against Luton Lowe came from Hampton & Richmond Borough and the scorer against Blackpool came from Derry City for £100,000. We paid more for Bakayoko from Walsall

Wait until the end of the season before you say you'd swap. You never know, we might end up doing ok.

Edit: I'd rather have 6 points too btw.

Robin Fisher

Those results hide the truth really. We were so lucky to win against Luton, in fact we were lucky not to lose by quite a few goals. Kenny Jackett's idea of entertaining nearly 20000 supporters was to field a team containing 7 defensive outfield players and 3 forward thinking players. Midfield was made up of 4 defensive players with no creative players in the mix. The result was that we spent the entire game watching Luton bounce off our very impressive defence and we scored with our only on target shot. More encouragingly against Blackpool he did revert to a more orthodox line up and we deserved the win. Lowe was brought into the club by the previous manager and missing promotion or the playoffs was down to our manager changing the team from one match to the next. We had the players to give it a good go so missing out from the position we were at at the turn of the year was more of a capitulation. We have the money to buy good players but the owners would rather bring in players that have promise and bring our own talent on rather than paying inflated prices. They have said that if a player(s) become available that would greatly enhance the team they would consider dipping in to the funds. But if we really are ambitious about promotion I think we need to dip into the current transfer market as well. The club is being well run now but I do think the manger needs to use what players we do have more consistently. Instead of looking for a pacey goalscorer which cost 37 pence why not use the very talented Conor Chaplin?

Nonleagueherewecome

In the old days a good manager made the best of what players he had at his disposal and made a success of it whereas to a good manager today has a fixation on how he wants his team to play so he gets players in to fit that style. Usually today that style is boring possession football using a solitary lone striker. I think Chaplin is going to Coventry but I wish he wasn't, in fact I would rather Kenny Jackett went to Coventry.

If he wants to get away from managers who play one up front, he's better off going somewhere else tbh....

Paxman II

So we still want a player who can't get in Portsmouth's team and their manager is searching for a striker to improve them?

better days

MR has said we're still looking to bring a couple of players in on loan
So the only way this lad can come is if Jackett is prepared to let him come on loan with a provisional agreement for a permanent transfer in January

Astute

So we still want a player who can't get in Portsmouth's team and their manager is searching for a striker to improve them?
All their supporters say he is similar to their first choice striker and he is looking for a striker with different attributes. Not seen where a single supporter of theirs wants him to go.

But yes he must be crap.

Robin Fisher

All their supporters say he is similar to their first choice striker and he is looking for a striker with different attributes. Not seen where a single supporter of theirs wants him to go.

But yes he must be crap.
You are right most Pompey supporters want Chaplin to stay and to further astonish Pompey supporters is that Kenny Jackett has been using two strikers this season, as well as many games last season. This being the case we all know that Chaplin is best used in a strike partnership and it is widely agreed that he is just not effective as a lone striker. Just why Mr Jackett wants Chaplin replaced is baffling to most supporters. I wonder if Jackett has picked up on the disapproval among the Pompey support of his plan to oust Chaplin and would now rather go down the loan route. That way if Chaplin does not score loads of goals for Coventry he can say he was right all along. Conversely if he becomes a huge success at Coventry Jackett can claim it was his plan all along and it was just the boot up the backside he needed. Or am I seeing too much into this or being too cynical?

Astute

You are right most Pompey supporters want Chaplin to stay and to further astonish Pompey supporters is that Kenny Jackett has been using two strikers this season, as well as many games last season. This being the case we all know that Chaplin is best used in a strike partnership and it is widely agreed that he is just not effective as a lone striker. Just why Mr Jackett wants Chaplin replaced is baffling to most supporters. I wonder if Jackett has picked up on the disapproval among the Pompey support of his plan to oust Chaplin and would now rather go down the loan route. That way if Chaplin does not score loads of goals for Coventry he can say he was right all along. Conversely if he becomes a huge success at Coventry Jackett can claim it was his plan all along and it was just the boot up the backside he needed. Or am I seeing too much into this or being too cynical?
I can't see him coming to us. And I have said that I can't see there being a loan. We are in the same division.

What I do see is KJ keeping him until needed. Then he gets games and scores goals. Then an improved contract is offered.

The way KJ has dealt with the situation might have screwed our season up. Could it have been his plan?

Magwitch

Still can’t get my head round this Chaplin saga, it’s obvious we wanted him, he wanted to come, apparently we had a bid accepted then allowed Portsmouth to call the shots for weeks. In my opinion we should have upped the offer a little and gave Pompey a take it or leave it date because the more it dragged on the more apparent it became he was our only choice.

chiefdave

What I do see is KJ keeping him until needed. Then he gets games and scores goals. Then an improved contract is offered.
Or he keeps refusing to play him, he sits on the bench doing nothing and his value decreases. He's out of the contract at the end of the season so can walk for nothing but a development fee.

Bertola

I don't think it's been done deliberately to upset our season, it's just the way Jackett works. He seemingly doesn't care about the players, and just sees them as commodities. He did the same with Baker last season, and was seemingly going to string Doyle along until Doyle saw what was going on early and joined us.

It's a risky approach as it can put players off joining them in future

better days

Don't be surprised if he comes on loan
Jackett and his owners possibly hoped we'd blink first ahead of the deadline and pay top dollar
It didn't happen so Portsmouth now have to decide what to do next with an unhappy player
They could loan him to us or another club for a loan fee with an agreed transfer fee to be activated in January
Or they can wait and let his contract run down
Loan fees are crazy at the top level. Apparently Chelsea wanted £14m for a season long loan for Danny Drinkwater
He's completely wasting his career there but is trapped

SkyBlueCRJ

Don't be surprised if he comes on loan
Jackett and his owners possibly hoped we'd blink first ahead of the deadline and pay top dollar
It didn't happen so Portsmouth now have to decide what to do next with an unhappy player
They could loan him to us or another club for a loan fee with an agreed transfer fee to be activated in January
Or they can wait and let his contract run down
Loan fees are crazy at the top level. Apparently Chelsea wanted £14m for a season long loan for Danny Drinkwater
He's completely wasting his career there but is trapped

I'm sceptical whether we'll snap him up IMO. Don't be surprised if Chaplin is the subject of a bidding war towards the end of the month because Pompey are in a bit of a Catch-22 situation. On the one hand because Chaplin is disgruntled, his contract expiring and the fact he's a fringe player, you could argue do they really have a leg to stand on to demand an inflated fee? But on the other hand this is where they could very well inflate his 'loan to buy' fee. Clubs who struggle in August may be inclined to throw money at Portsmouth to help Chaplin stop their rot. MR won't pay over the odds for Chaplin so I wouldn't be surprised if a club beats us to it - and that's on the basis if Pompey even let him go.

harvey098

I honestly dont tbink he was ever going to sell, just saw a chance to string along a rival and took it.

Now that’s paranoia. I genuinely think they were in for Eisa and would’ve needed to shift Chaplin. When that fell through, it all changed.

better days

I'm sceptical whether we'll snap him up IMO. Don't be surprised if Chaplin is the subject of a bidding war towards the end of the month because Pompey are in a bit of a Catch-22 situation. On the one hand because Chaplin is disgruntled, his contract expiring and the fact he's a fringe player, you could argue do they really have a leg to stand on to demand an inflated fee? But on the other hand this is where they could very well inflate his 'loan to buy' fee. Clubs who struggle in August may be inclined to throw money at Portsmouth to help Chaplin stop their rot. MR won't pay over the odds for Chaplin so I wouldn't be surprised if a club beats us to it - and that's on the basis if Pompey even let him go.
See your point James but that only works if there are other clubs who are willing to take a chance on a young player at the price Pompey want to get
That's what happened with Drinkwater
Chelsea knew several clubs were interested and played hardball but their gamble didn't pay off so Drinkwater is stuck at a club where he's unlikely to play and they have to pay his no doubt huge wages

SkyBlueCRJ

See your point James but that only works if there are other clubs who are willing to take a chance on a young player at the price Pompey want to get
That's what happened with Drinkwater
Chelsea knew several clubs were interested and played hardball but their gamble didn't pay off so Drinkwater is stuck at a club where he's unlikely to play and they have to pay his no doubt huge wages

Have you never heard of a panic buy? The law of averages suggest that a 'favourite' will initially struggle in the opening month of the season so on this basis I could see a club potentially paying 'over the odds' for Chaplin due to the simple fact that now the window is over, goalscorers at our level are few and far between. Saying that the club doesn't have to be a favourite, there are plenty of clubs within our League that have competitive budgets who may have money kept back. It's a hypothetical scenario but one that could potentially come to fruition, especially in the competitive nature of football in its current climate. Not every club gets off to a flying start and as Chaplin is an attractive asset could be forced to so on that basis I'm sceptical of the confidence in securing a deal with Pompey. The whole scenario has been the furthest thing from smooth sailing since the get-go, and personally I don't see that changing.

better days

Have you never heard of a panic buy? The law of averages suggest that a 'favourite' will initially struggle in the opening month of the season so on this basis I could see a club potentially paying 'over the odds' for Chaplin due to the simple fact that now the window is over, goalscorers at our level are few and far between. Saying that the club doesn't have to be a favourite, there are plenty of clubs within our League that have competitive budgets who may have money kept back. It's a hypothetical scenario but one that could potentially come to fruition, especially in the competitive nature of football in its current climate. Not every club gets off to a flying start and as Chaplin is an attractive asset could be forced to so on that basis I'm sceptical of the confidence in securing a deal with Pompey. The whole scenario has been the furthest thing from smooth sailing since the get-go, and personally I don't see that changing.
You could be right, time will tell
I think we all agree Robins should only do a deal if the price is right

Terry Gibson's perm

I cannot see what all the fuss is about Chaplin needs to hand in a transfer request and force a move the money he loses as he put the request in we pay him as part of his signing on fee

GaryJones

Nice word "curmudgeonous" is he our new Greek centre forward?

Reactions: vow

higgs

I was going to get his name on the back of my new shirt but a bit like Chaplin that hasn't arrived yet

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Alkhen

I was at Pompey Vs Oxford today. Got a free ticket whilst visiting family.

Chaplin was on the bench and so was Pitman so id say he is miles from getting a game. Much shorter than I thought

Portsmouth look excellent, could see them do brilliantly this season. They have this lad on loan called Thompson from millwall who ran the show today. And a winger called Lowe who bagged 3. Not looking forward to that away day.

Fratton park just made me pine for Highfield Road, bit tatty but full and noisy, loads of pubs and a great walk up atmosphere. What a mistake the "Arena 2000" project was in hindsight :(

Users who are viewing this thread