Coventry Bees (1 Viewer)

Saddlebrains

Just seen that Rugby Council have rejected the planning application for houses to be built on the site.

Great news, and hopefully the offer on the table from the stock car family (Wainmans i heard) will be accepted and finally can get Speedway and Stock cars back at Brandon

Saddlebrains

A way to go of course but im the same as you. However much it would be great to get back up there and watch some speedway and stock cars, i really cant see how the place can be turned around, its structurally completely fucked

olderskyblue

Be good if a rich individual could (does anyone know of one looking to invest in Coventry area?) get hold of the land, and develops the stadium again, for Bees, Stock car, and dog racing. maybe other things to make it more viable?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Be good if a rich individual could (does anyone know of one looking to invest in Coventry area?) get hold of the land, and develops the stadium again, for Bees, Stock car, and dog racing. maybe other things to make it more viable?
There's a thread about chocolate somewhere on the site where a few people, as an aside, have talked about a rich guy maybe wanting to set one of his businesses up around here.

Saddlebrains

There's an offer on the table from a wealthy Stock Car driver and his business

A lot of local business have also volunteered things for free to help, a local window company has agreed to supply any replacement windows at 50% cost. A local signage company has offered their services for free, waste disposal firms etc

Real appetite to get the place up and running again which is good to see

olderskyblue

There's a thread about chocolate somewhere on the site where a few people, as an aside, have talked about a rich guy maybe wanting to set one of his businesses up around here.
I must have missed that one…. :ROFLMAO:

SkyBlueScottie

There is currently a buyer, and a lot of good will from previous sponsors waiting in the wings. How far that goodwill stretches I dont know. But with each "incident" the costs are rising.

SkyBlueScottie

As for Greyhound racing, when it returned under Sandhus ownership, crowds were initially decent, but as time went they started to dwindle, so not sure if that would work. However with the right funding and ideas the site could be brilliant. Problem being with some of that is the leadership of Speedway in general... But thats another issue.

NorthernWisdom

As for Greyhound racing, when it returned under Sandhus ownership, crowds were initially decent, but as time went they started to dwindle, so not sure if that would work. However with the right funding and ideas the site could be brilliant. Problem being with some of that is the leadership of Speedway in general... But thats another issue.
Yeah speedway's in the doldrums rather. irony being Coventry were one of the better supported teams of course.

Kneeza

There's an offer on the table from a wealthy Stock Car driver and his business

A lot of local business have also volunteered things for free to help, a local window company has agreed to supply any replacement windows at 50% cost. A local signage company has offered their services for free, waste disposal firms etc

Real appetite to get the place up and running again which is good to see
All well and good, and I remain hopeful something can be done, although much of the grandstand will need replacing, so temporary facilities will initially be required.
My worry, though, would be that Horton and Sandhu still have some kind of interest. Please God, no!

chiefdave

All well and good, and I remain hopeful something can be done, although much of the grandstand will need replacing, so temporary facilities will initially be required.
My worry, though, would be that Horton and Sandhu still have some kind of interest. Please God, no!
Not a motorsports fan so I've never been to Brandon but it wasn't in great condition when It was in use was it?

Is there a realistic prospect of getting the Bees back or is it more a case of wishful thinking?

Kneeza

Not a motorsports fan so I've never been to Brandon but it wasn't in great condition when It was in use was it?

Is there a realistic prospect of getting the Bees back or is it more a case of wishful thinking?
It wasn't great, no. Since it passed from Ochiltree ownership it was in a steady decline, but nothing like it is now, obviously. You were probably talking about a realistic six-figure renovation when it was closed. Now, it really needs razing and starting from scratch. Not sure anyone has the interest and wherewithal to do that, but, I will retain a level of optimism until I'm proven a totally naive fool.

skybluetony176

Yeah speedway's in the doldrums rather. irony being Coventry were one of the better supported teams of course.
4 wheeled short circuit racing still has a massive draw and Brandon was always one of the best tracks in the country. There’s a big appetite amongst several formulas to see racing there again especially as so many tracks are under threat from the development even though they are thriving businesses.

Users who are viewing this thread