Match Thread Coventry City - Cheltenham Town Match Thread - Saturday 16th Dec (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Discuss the Coventry City - Cheltenham Town match, tactics and predictions :)

Nick

Administrator
It will be interesting to see what changes he does make.

Can see them coming for a scrap, so hopefully people who will mix it up.

Although Vincenti looks like a Giraffe, sometimes he looks to have a bit of a nasty streak and does get the boot in.

I'd be tempted to have him play centrally between the midfield and attack.

no_loyalty

I can't remember us beating a side managed by Gary Johnson, but I could be wrong

covcity4life

burge
stokes
willis
macdonald
grimmer
doyle
kelly
mcnulty
beavon
nazon
biamou

if kelly injured then shipley cm

pw362

Didn't MR say in his post match interview that Kelly would be out for another 6 to 8 weeks

Otis

Discuss the Coventry City - Cheltenham Town match, tactics and predictions :)
Same tactics. Prediction? Who knows. Can't predict anything past a win, draw or defeat.

The question should really be, which Coventry City will turn up? Obviously they got a right rollicking after last week, but at the same time you would expect a few players to be dropped. I have no idea what he will go with on Saturday.

Expecting at least two changes.

oucho

For fook's sake, this one has to be a home win surely

Esoterica

Cheltenham have only won away once this season (at Chesterfield) and kept just 2 clean sheets in 10 away matches, conceding an average 1.7 goals per away game. On 4 occasions they have conceded 3 goals away from home. They are very creative at home and it is this that is keeping them mid table - away they have only scored 10 in 10 but have scored in their last 6 away matches.
They seem to be strong before half time but susceptible immediately after:
chelt.png

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

For fook's sake, this one has to be a home win surely
Cheltenham have only won away once this season (at Chesterfield) and kept just 2 clean sheets in 10 away matches, conceding an average 1.7 goals per away game. On 4 occasions they have conceded 3 goals away from home. They are very creative at home and it is this that is keeping them mid table - away they have only scored 10 in 10 but have scored in their last 6 away matches.
They seem to be strong before half time but susceptible immediately after:
View attachment 8547

Nailed on defeat for CCFC then.

matesx

Forest Green done us at home not so long ago.

Kelly a big loss.

Nick

Administrator
It depends how Robins sets us up I think, he should be getting them walking out of that tunnel like they are going to war. If they stroll out half arsed and there's no difference to last week it's going to be a worrying start.

None of this second half bullshit, I want to see a crunching tackle in the first minute to set the tone of the game and going all out for a win.

Liquid Gold

It would also be nice to see them in a coherent formation. I'd even consider bringing back the dreaded diamond midfield

Burge
Grimmer - Willis - McDonald - Stokes
Doyle
Shipley - Stevenson
Vincenti
Biamou - McNulty

Nazon to come of the bench f he can be arsed, he plays better off the bench with tired defenders anyway.

clint van damme

I can't see us getting anything better than a 0-0.
Saturdays performance has really knocked my confidence in this squad.

Londonccfcfan

Heart tells me we will win this. What we don’t know is how confident the players are. 2 nil.
Reassuring performance.

My gut instinct tells me:
0-0 half time. Boos ring around the Ricoh....1-1 Draw at full time. More boos at full time. As Cheltenham celebrate a Draw.

We will drop out the top 10 first time this season. MR under even more huge pressure now.

Lord_Nampil

I think the Kelly Injury has impact us more than the jones injury...

He really has been immense for us this season and when he's not there its a bigger whole to fill than Jones imo, even though Jones was having a really good season!

Robins said land of the giants when he spoke at the trust meeting a few weeks back, so id imagen that both Max and Vincenti both start need shipley and stevenson to have good games along with McNulty as they will all start with the same other 6 players! we just need to be better than last weekend! and hopefully Nazon on the bench, will be Nazon from Lincoln a few weeks bk! The match winner!

We need a win and i think if we get it, we will start to turn to corner.....

robbiekeane

Although Vincenti looks like a Giraffe, sometimes he looks to have a bit of a nasty streak and does get the boot in.

I'd be tempted to have him play centrally between the midfield and attack.
But where will we land the helicopters?

johnwillomagic

Hmm difficult really but I think changes have to be made......think I would go something like this. Lumps at the back for this one as Cheltenham go long!

Burge GK
Willis RB
Davies CB
MacDonald CB
Stokes LB
Doyle DCM
Stevenson DCM
Vincenti ATT
McNulty ATT
Ponticelli ATT
Biamou ST

Subs: O'Brien, Haynes, Grimmer, Shipley, DKE, Duck, Beavon

Doubt he will make this many changes but expecting a response and for us to scrape a 1-0 win!

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

It depends how Robins sets us up I think, he should be getting them walking out of that tunnel like they are going to war. If they stroll out half arsed and there's no difference to last week it's going to be a worrying start.

None of this second half bullshit, I want to see a crunching tackle in the first minute to set the tone of the game and going all out for a win.

It worries me how much your football comments are about 'crunching tackles', 'big physical presence', and 'getting stuck in'. I'd be happy to see us play well and win to be honest, but whatever floats your boat...

Nick

Administrator
It worries me how much your football comments are about 'crunching tackles', 'big physical presence', and 'getting stuck in'. I'd be happy to see us play well and win to be honest, but whatever floats your boat...

Because it's playing in League 2 against a lot of teams who will try to bully us, Morecambe bullied us. We need to set out early to show we aren't going to be bullied on and off the ball but still try and play a bit of football.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I'd be quite happy to play like a random XI from St.Micheal's hospital as long as we won, to be quite honest with you.

Otis

Doyle's last few performances since Lincoln have been dreadful, would it be completely unthinkable to give him a rest?
Yes, unthinkable. If Kelly were fit then sure, but our two first choice midfielders are Doyle and Kelly. No way Robins would not play the one if the other is injured. Not unless it was a pointless cup match.

stevefloyd

I want to see Vincenti in central midfield to try and help Doyle , having Shipley and Stevenson in there isn't working and Vincenti out wide definitely isn't working....Try it Mark you may well be surprised

Amcoventry

The season depends on games like this. A win is super important. PUSB

Nick

Administrator
Has anybody watched them? Notice they have Kyle Storer playing for them now, he's local from Exhall / Bedworth and saw him play a few times as a kid.

Apparently they seem him as an "enforcer" type now.

skybluesam66

0 to 1 points in the next 2 games and we could well be in the bottom half
6 points and we could be 4th

a massive 2 games

Users who are viewing this thread