Match Thread Coventry City - Crewe Alexandra Match Thread - Saturday 30th Sep (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Discuss the Coventry City - Crewe Alexandra match, tactics and predictions :)

Liquid Gold

I'm cautious about this one, on paper it's an easy win but that is exactly the sort of game you trip up on, especially after wining two more difficult games on the bounce. I'm going for a nervy 1-0 McNulty to score.

Reactions: vow

Mucca Mad Boys

I’ve got a feeling we’ll finally give someone a hiding, it’s at home and off the back of two consecutive wins (so of course we’ll lose now). 4-0 to Coventry, hopefully.

Starting XI:

Burge
Grimmer
Willis
McDonald
Stokes
Kelly
Doyle
Jones
Nazon
DKE
Biamou (McNulty if fully fit)

Otis

A win. May be hard fought, may be we have to grind it out, but we are now looking imperious at home.

Do we keep the same team, or do we find a place for McNulty back in the side?

By all accounts DKE didn't have as strong an impact as Saturday.

Will guess however, that MR will stick with the same 11.

2-0 win. McDonald and Grimmer with the goals. Two headers, both from corners.

no_loyalty

Keep the same starting line up provided Stokes is fit, if not then may have to bring Camwell in

skybluesam66

I think it is too early for the crowds to be so high - would expect 8500 on saturday
We need to be top 3 at the turn of the year, to go over 10,000

as for saturday - remember the last time we really thought we would beat Crewe at home under Robins -

better days

A win. May be hard fought, may be we have to grind it out, but we are now looking imperious at home.

Do we keep the same team, or do we find a place for McNulty back in the side?

Will guess however, that MR will stick with the same 11.

2-0 win. McDonald and Grimmer with the goals. Two headers, both from corners.

I thought Devon KE tired as the game went on. It was pretty physical and he never hides from that side but it was only his second ever men's League game with the first on Saturday
As I watched I was thinking Robins might have subbed him if he'd had someone on the bench who could fill the role
Jones had to go off late after some hefty challenges too so DKE was the only ball carrier left
Mind you DKE wasn't far off scoring another nice goal late on even though he was knackered

vow

I'm cautious about this game too, as we don't know yet about the injury to Stokes (Shipley, Camwell or Concrete to cover?) and to Beavon, Vincenti also.

The Penguin

No, he didn't. Even so, there was enough in his performance to suggest he's worth a longer run in the first team. At the very worst he needs to remain on the bench as an impact player, I reckon.

Adge

Yes it's got banana skin written all over it this one where expectations will be high after another good victory last night. I expect a close 1-0 but they all count!
We now need to go on a run of 7-8 games unbeaten and really throw down a marker.

steve82

Agree with few here this has the potential to be a banana skin like the Newport was.
Expectations are naturally getting higher again but this is L2.
But we have to be hopeful of another home win.

I'd keep Biamou in, I feel he's close to getting that important goal and a huge injection of confidence that will bring him.

Another big test for Willis tho as Crewe have the big physical Chris Porter up top and likely to use his strength and ariel presence while working space for Chris Dagnal.
George Cooper seems to be the man pulling there strings down the left so we need to keep him quiet and stop the service into Porter and Dagnall

Ranjit Bhurpa

On paper a home banker. Crewe having lost their last 4 and leaking plenty of goals. If we get an early goal they could cave in.
However as others have said, playmaker Cooper will expose any weakness down our left side and there are plenty of goals in Porter and former player Dagnall. Rod to have Porter in his pocket making Dagnall for me the bigger threat of the two.
Hoping that our defence continues to hold up and going for a 3-1 win.

mrtrench

I very much hope to be proven wrong, but this game has all the hallmarks of a classic Sky Blues manoeuvre: two convincing victories against top clubs; a much easier game at home; climbing the table; crowd increases... what usually happens next is an inept defeat.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Just like last night and breaking our hoodoo on winning away at Swindon and coming from behind, this is a game that sets the tone for the players spirit, attitude, skill and mostly important, belief.
I worry about Dukes comments on the gaffers points target for the 3 games, he needs to re-issue a revised target quickly to get their mindset right but other than that, we look solid, the odd mistake in us but generally very solid and creating far more chances now than in the first few games.

Another win for me.

Gazolba

I’ve got a feeling we’ll finally give someone a hiding, <snip>
Can't see us giving anyone a hiding; we don't have the goal-scorers to pull that off.
I'll go for a 2-1 win, and one of them is likely to be a penalty or own goal.

Skybluefaz

I very much hope to be proven wrong, but this game has all the hallmarks of a classic Sky Blues manoeuvre: two convincing victories against top clubs; a much easier game at home; climbing the table; crowd increases... what usually happens next is an inept defeat.
Yep, I just hope that this season is different. We have proper leaders on the pitch in Rod, Doyle and Kelly and they seem to be driving us on. However I'm sure they say it's the hope that kills you :hungover:

Captain Dart

If I was commercial director at the club I'd be having a £10 a ticket day on Saturday + two free tickets to existing ticket holders who've bought season tickets/full price to compensate them. Try and capitalise on 2 consecutive wins and get 13/14k up there for Saturday.
Good job you're not the commercial director then.
If you are going to make offers of cheaper tickets they should be against matches that are likely to be poorly attended, not ones where you'll get a good crowd regardless and make some money.

Esoterica

If you are going to make offers of cheaper tickets they should be against matches that are likely to be poorly attended, not ones where you'll get a good crowd regardless and make some money.
Makes sense from a purely one off commercial viewpoint and if the product offered is consistent but there must be an argument that it's better to tempt people back when we're on a good run and playing well so that they enjoy the football and are part of a bumper crowd so that the atmosphere is enjoyable. Surely the aim is customer retention, not just covering a poorly attended individual match shortfall?

superskyblue

What a short sighted view you have! I'm talking of getting a big crowd through the door for the game. Hopefully a good win. And hook some people who'll come back 3 or 4 times during the year rather than never attending.

Captain Dart

What a short sighted view you have! I'm talking of getting a big crowd through the door for the game. Hopefully a good win. And hook some people who'll come back 3 or 4 times during the year rather than never attending.

It doesn't work the way you think it does.

Mucca Mad Boys

Can't see us giving anyone a hiding; we don't have the goal-scorers to pull that off.
I'll go for a 2-1 win, and one of them is likely to be a penalty or own goal.

We beat the league leaders 3-0, and have won every game bar 2 by two or more goals. Don’t really know what more you can expect? We went through a 3 game dry spell but that’s it.

Amcoventry

Think we should win 4-1. Love to see Ponticelli get at least 1/2 a game

Pete in Portugal

Makes sense from a purely one off commercial viewpoint and if the product offered is consistent but there must be an argument that it's better to tempt people back when we're on a good run and playing well so that they enjoy the football and are part of a bumper crowd so that the atmosphere is enjoyable. Surely the aim is customer retention, not just covering a poorly attended individual match shortfall?

The main aim with reduced pricing is not customer retention.The main aim is to maximise profit. Therefore it's better to spend you promotional budget on reduced prices to boost attendances at games which would otherwise be poorly attended. You would make more profit by using this strategy, than you would by reducing prices for games that will be reasonably well attended anyway.

As well as price, attendance is also down to recent results, recent quality of performances, current league position, timing of the match and of course the match day weather. And to some extent the quality of the opposing team and size of the opposing club - though this applies much less in the lower leagues than it does in the Premier League.

Esoterica

The main aim with reduced pricing is not customer retention.The main aim is to maximise profit. Therefore it's better to spend you promotional budget on reduced prices to boost attendances at games which would otherwise be poorly attended. You would make more profit by using this strategy, than you would by reducing prices for games that will be reasonably well attended anyway.

As well as price, attendance is also down to recent results, recent quality of performances, current league position, timing of the match and of course the match day weather. And to some extent the quality of the opposing team and size of the opposing club - though this applies much less in the lower leagues than it does in the Premier League.
Definitely not my area of expertise - was just my (flawed) logic! Appreciate the insight :)

Nick

Administrator

With maximising profit, there has to then be the increase in ticket sales to cover the shortfall.

Say for example we get 800 at £22 which is £17,600 it would need to go up to 1,760 at £10 to cover the same.

Then at £10 you have people who have bought match packages which work out at about £15 so you have to compensate them as they would be paying more then.

Esoterica

I'd love to see us go out and attack Crewe from the off purely so that we can give some of the squad players a run out in the 2nd half if we have the comfort of a decent lead. They're on a bad run and their confidence will have been further hit by losing after being 2-1 up with 3 minutes to go at Wycombe on Tuesday so they should be there for the taking. When we keep winning by the odd goal players like Ponticelli and DionKE are never going to get off the bench and we've seen how much players like Biamou are improving with game time here and there.

Nick

Administrator
I'd love to see us go out and attack Crewe from the off purely so that we can give some of the squad players a run out in the 2nd half if we have the comfort of a decent lead. They're on a bad run and their confidence will have been further hit by losing after being 2-1 up with 3 minutes to go at Wycombe on Tuesday so they should be there for the taking. When we keep winning by the odd goal players like Ponticelli and DionKE are never going to get off the bench and we've seen how much players like Biamou are improving with game time here and there.

Hopefully we will do what we did on Tuesday and let Biamou scare them a bit.

torchomatic

I get nervous with these type of games as they usually end in a fuck up. Saying that reckon we'll win by a couple. Biamou to get one at last.

Reactions: vow

better days

Both DKE boys, Pontichelli, Maycock and Shipley will all feature in the coming weeks. Football at this level is attritional and players will pick up knocks and need resting as we are scheduled to play twice a week now for the next few months

Esoterica

Both DKE boys, Pontichelli, Maycock and Shipley will all feature in the coming weeks. Football at this level is attritional and players will pick up knocks and need resting as we are scheduled to play twice a week now for the next few months
Yes it's a long season which is why I'd like to see those players get game time when we're 3-0 up at halftime at home to Crewe and the pressure is off rather than when Kelly pulls a hamstring after 15 minutes away at Luton and we have to throw Maycock on. :)

Users who are viewing this thread