Match Thread Coventry City - Shrewsbury Town Match Thread - Tuesday 29th Aug (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Discuss the Coventry City - Shrewsbury Town match, tactics and predictions :)

higgs

Team from a division above us another loss I'm afraid. Burge back in goal stokes rested Willis rested doyle rested for stevenson beavon back in for Mcnulty

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Otis

Rest some players. Wembley is great, but focus has to be on the league and this will give us a chance to try a few things out.

Burge (just because it WILL be)

DKE Willis Hyam Camwell

Vincenti Stevenson Doyle Jones

Andreu

Nazon or Biamou or Thomas

Irish Sky Blue

I think he has to be more careful with this game. We were completely out played by Blackburn and I think people could accept this because if the perceived status of the opponents. Shrewsbury are also league One and are doing well this season. However, I think seeing our team completely outplayed by Shrewsbury would be hard to take.

Otis

I think he has to be more careful with this game. We were completely out played by Blackburn and I think people could accept this because if the perceived status of the opponents. Shrewsbury are also league One and are doing well this season. However, I think seeing our team completely outplayed by Shrewsbury would be hard to take.

Why? We have been outplayed by worse.

Irish Sky Blue

Why? We have been outplayed by worse.
On the back of the two recent defeats I think we at least need a competitive performance to instil some confidence in team and fans. Losing 3-1 at home to Shrewsbury where they have 80% possession (as Blackburn must have been close to) won't help.

Otis

I should think Shrewsbury will probably rest some players too. After 2 defeats Robins will definitely experiment and change thinges around.
The side I mentioned above will surely be competitive won't it? Don't think anyone is saying play all the kids.

Players are playing for places, so I do think we will give it quite a go.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Burge would have always been on the cards to play, although at the end of the warm up he did seem to be holding his left shoulder a bit after moving towards a hard hit ball, so I guess it'll depend on how that is!

Defence is likely to be changed as Willis needs a rest imo and MR may think stokes could benefit from one too

Midfield, I think after Blackburn we will see one of Doyle / Kelly retaining their place and won't chance resting them both again.

As for the forward line, I'd be inclined to give Duck another go, perhaps alongside Beavon or Biamou.

torchomatic

Oh, we're going to win this one, no doubt.

Do the "print at home" tickets work ok? I've printed my own for this game, not done it before.

skybluegod

Think Pearson, will be given a run out, perhaps camwell too on defence, would expect only one of Doyle or Kelly to be dropped not both, and we will likely see Vincenti, and biamou both given another go.

Sky Blue Harry H

Yes - Biamou needs 90 mins under his belt. Have to rest Doyle and anyone who has a knock. Want them all fit for Chesterfield and a proper performance!

shmmeee

Don’t really care about the cups. Give game time to players who might be needed.

Burge
DKE Pearson Hyam Camwell
Maycock Stevenson
DKE Ponticelli Nazon
Biamou

Stick whoever’s fit out of the first team on the bench.

Gazolba

RCC in goal and Ponticelli must get some minutes- and not just 10 minutes at the end.

Grendel

If Thomas is not injured he should start. He seems the best hope for a striker out of those we had. He's awkward, actually pretty good in the air, has some pace and crucially can play with his back to goal.

steve82

I can see a few changes for this, tho in my mind we need to result to change the momentum and find the formula so I'd prefer fewer changes.
However it's a squad game and Biamou needs important game time, Stevenson needs a run out, Pearson needs testing too and I'm assuming Mcdonald won't be risked and Willis, Stokes, JJ and Doyle rested and Kwame Thomas unlikely to make the squad after his collision in the U23's game.

Also it's deadline day Thursday and this could act as a shop window for RCC to move on or even Ben Stevenson to show his abilities to clubs hoping for a bargain to bolster there squad.

Given all consideration I'd go.
----------------RCC--------------
-Grimmer-Pearson-Hyam-Camwell-
--------Stevenson---Kelly---------
----Vincenti---McNulty---Andreu---
--------------Biamou---------------

Subs: Burge, DKE, Willis, Maycock, Nazon, Beavon, Ponticelli.

covcity4life

Shrews may rest alot of players too? Donw ehave to keep 5 same still? If so

Burge
Camwell
Willis
Hyam
Grimmer
Stevenson
Kelly
Ducken
Beavon
Vicente
Biamou or kwame thomas

steve82

Shrews may rest alot of players too? Donw ehave to keep 5 same still? If so

Burge
Camwell
Willis
Hyam
Grimmer
Stevenson
Kelly
Ducken
Beavon
Vicente
Biamou or kwame thomas

Yes I think it's 5 players who played in the last or will start the next game or five of the starting 11 who have made the most starting appearances in League and domestic cup competitions fixtures during the current season.

aloisiwouldhavescored

If Thomas is not injured he should start. He seems the best hope for a striker out of those we had. He's awkward, actually pretty good in the air, has some pace and crucially can play with his back to goal.
I can see a few changes for this, tho in my mind we need to result to change the momentum and find the formula so I'd prefer fewer changes.
However it's a squad game and Biamou needs important game time, Stevenson needs a run out, Pearson needs testing too and I'm assuming Mcdonald won't be risked and Willis, Stokes, JJ and Doyle rested and Kwame Thomas unlikely to make the squad after his collision in the U23's game.

Also it's deadline day Thursday and this could act as a shop window for RCC to move on or even Ben Stevenson to show his abilities to clubs hoping for a bargain to bolster there squad.

Given all consideration I'd go.
----------------RCC--------------
-Grimmer-Pearson-Hyam-Camwell-
----Vincenti---McNulty---Andreu---

Subs: Burge, DKE, Willis, Maycock, Nazon, Beavon, Ponticelli.
Pretty much agree on the above team, although maybe play DKE and rest Grimmer.
Any news on what the Rod McDonald injury is, and how long is he likely to be out? Sorely missed on Saturday.

steve82

Pretty much agree on the above team, although maybe play DKE and rest Grimmer.
Any news on what the Rod McDonald injury is, and how long is he likely to be out? Sorely missed on Saturday.

Put DKE in for Grimmer and you may foul the selection rules and face up to a 5k fine.
Think that sides on its limits for changes that I suggested.

CWR missed the big chance to ask MR what his injury is by skirting around the obvious question anyone would like to know why he missed out.

Winny the Bish

----------------Burge--------------
-DiKE-Pearson-Hyam-Camwell-
----DeKE---Andreu---Finn---

Ponticelli to get 30' off the bench.

steve82

----------------Burge--------------
-DiKE-Pearson-Hyam-Camwell-
----DeKE---Andreu---Finn---

Ponticelli to get 30' off the bench.

Too many changes, possible £5,000 fine from the EFL with that side.

Paxman II

We have to find the spirit in the squad that has taken a knock after a good start.
This game provides an opportunity to do that and try one or two others who are hungry for a starting berth.

Think we may lose it but a win will lift the spirits back for Saturday where we must get back to winning.

steve82

There are Championship reserve teams in it, how devalued could the competition really get?

In the regards to that I 100% agree. I strongly disagree with there allowed involvement in a L1 and L2 competition.

It's like us entering or u23's into the fa vase or fa trophy at non league level

johnwillomagic

Ok I'd gp with the following then.

Burge GK (Change 1)
Camwell LB (Change 2)
Hyam CB
Pearson CB (Change 3)
Grimmer RB
Doyle DCM
Andreau ACM
Jones RM
Vincenti LM (Change 4)
Duck ST
K.Thoma/Ponticelli (Change 5)

Subs: O'Neill, DKE, Stokes, Stevenson, Kelly, McNulty, Beavon

Gazolba

I'm 50/50 on that rule. Could end up being devalued like the league cup and sides swap the whole 11
Clubs should have full control to play who they want.
If the competition gets devalued, then it deserves to be devalued.
If no-one values it, then why have it?

Irish Sky Blue

Clubs should have full control to play who they want.
If the competition gets devalued, then it deserves to be devalued.
If no-one values it, then why have it?
Unfortunately you could say the same about the FA Cup. Clubs in both top divisions disrespecting it. The question has to be if you can't be bothered trying to win and get to the next round then why take part?

Gazolba

Unfortunately you could say the same about the FA Cup. Clubs in both top divisions disrespecting it. The question has to be if you can't be bothered trying to win and get to the next round then why take part?
Well to make it worthwhile, there has to be some reward at the end of it or during it.
For the FA Cup that should be a place in some Europe-wide competition. I used to like the old Cup-Winners Cup.
Of course, that won't tempt the top few clubs who are pretty certain of that anyway.
For the lower-level clubs that have no hope of winning it, all they can hope for is a lucrative away tie against a big club.
However, at some point all clubs have to weigh up the effort and resources required against the remote possibility of any reward.

wingy

Ok I'd gp with the following then.

Burge GK (Change 1)
Camwell LB (Change 2)
Hyam CB
Pearson CB (Change 3)
Grimmer RB
Doyle DCM
Andreau ACM
Jones RM
Vincenti LM (Change 4)
Duck ST
K.Thoma/Ponticelli (Change 5)

Subs: O'Neill, DKE, Stokes, Stevenson, Kelly, McNulty, Beavon
Think you mean O'brien rather than O'Neil there Johnny.

Users who are viewing this thread