Match Thread Coventry City vs Barnsley Match Thread - Saturday 15th Sep (1 Viewer)

Elvis Pressley

Discuss the Coventry City v Barnsley match, tactics and predictions :)

Gibbo

1. Mason for Brown
  2. I hope Shipley and Grimmer will be fit. If they are out bring in Ogogo and Sterling respectively
  3. Change the bench to include Allesani
  4. Give Burge 10 hours detention to practice corners

Gibbo

I think we managed to move up 9 places on the back of the Oxford win. Could go up another 2 or possibly 3 paces if we win

Gint11

2 tough home games next. If we beat an in-form unbeaten Barnsley after winning at Oxford we might have some momentum and confidence going into Sunderland. 4 out of 6 would be decent. I’d take 3 though.

GaryJones

We are going to have to vastly improve to get anything out of the next 2 league games.

JulianDarbyFTW

We are going to have to vastly improve to get anything out of the next 2 league games.

We need to play a consistent game for 90 minutes, not 45. That was our achilles heel for most of last season too. Still, defensively we're ok. We might scrape a point or two even if we don't improve tbf.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Or they play shit and the referee gives us everything. :emoji_nerd:

Paul Anthony

Play like we did the second half, we have a chance. Play like we did the first half, no chance at all. I think we're capable of playing some very nice football, hopefully Chaplin is the answer to our wastefulness and can kick on now to get more goals. Looks like he has a good touch and a bit of pace.

If we're going to play long ball, let's at least have Chaplin up with Clarke Harris so he can effective. Still bemused why he was sat so deep today at first.

Paxman II

Confidence up just in time after Oxford. Think we will beat Barnsley. Chaplin's movement looks very good. He looks hungry and clearly confident.

SkyBlueCRJ

If we play like we did in the second half we'll get a result, play like we did in the first half however and I can see us suffering a heavy loss. One of our main issues is that we're struggling to dominate games - this was also a problem last season. Yesterday's game we played well in some parts but we're still succumbing to getting exposed for large periods of a game. If we're to get anything from Barnsley this needs to be addressed and we need to improve by a long stretch. They will be far more clinical than Oxford, who were wasteful with the few chances they had.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Anthony

remember the years in the Champ, we played them first game for about 4 years on the trot and won every one.

Usually used to put 4 past them while doing it too. Made a change for us to be someone's bogey team for once!

fernandopartridge

Barnsley haven't won at Cov since 1923 and they're on an unbeaten run.

Most difficult game of the season this one, would be delighted with a win, content with a draw.

fernandopartridge

If we play like we did in the second half we'll get a result, play like we did in the first half however and I can see us suffering a heavy loss. One of our main issues is that we're struggling to dominate games - this was also a problem last season. Yesterday's game we played well in some parts but we're still succumbing to getting exposed for large periods of a game. If we're to get anything from Barnsley this needs to be addressed and we need to improve by a long stretch. They will be far more clinical than Oxford, who were wasteful with the few chances they had.
Exaggerating how bad we were first half. We had the best chance, Oxford didn't really have one despite theIr possession.

SkyBlueCRJ

Exaggerating how bad we were first half. We had the best chance, Oxford didn't really have one despite theIr possession.

How am I? We could barely get the ball in their half during the first 30 minutes. Oxford have had difficulty in converting and creating chances so far this season. Barnsley on the other hand definitely haven't. If we give Barsnley the amount of time on the ball as we gifted to Oxford do you honestly think they wouldn't create chances when they're averaging two goals a game?

Magwitch

Don’t think we were as bad Sunday as people are making out slow start from both teams but as the game went on we controlled things until the last 10 minutes or so, thought we got our formation right somewhere near to what we had at the end of last season.
We will beat Barnsley.

standupforcity

We've created chances all season...now we have someone who knows how to covert chances into goals, so I think Chaplin will be the difference on Sat...2-0 City!

Liquid Gold

If we can turn over Barnsley, who always do well in this league, then we might be in for a decent season. I'm not overly optimistic though 0-1.

SlowerThanPlatt

Barnsley have sold 1,500 already so they should bring at least 2,000. Should have two good away followings in a row at the Ricoh with Sunderland up next

capel & collindridge

Nothing to fear here. 1-0
They do have a striker who is 6' 5 " and has scored 6 goals in 7 games so far for Barnsley. And he is playing in a decent team.

If we had a similar striker in what has already shown itself to be a very good side this season, wouldn't we be laughing if a rival's forum said "Nothing to fear here. 1-0". ....... I hope you are right, of course!

runner

Think it's likely to be 1 v 1 if honest and I'd take that at this stage in the season, particularly as Barnsley are in a rich vein of form presently ...

Sky Blue Harry H

Think it's likely to be 1 v 1 if honest and I'd take that at this stage in the season, particularly as Barnsley are in a rich vein of form presently ...

This, I think. Can never tell, though. When we're feeling jittery, we all see the likes of any L1 team, including Barnsley (who aren't bad) as Brazil like! It's the nature of being a City fan.

Nick

Administrator
Get into them early, can see us getting a draw.

Need to get a bit of aggression flowing though.

Users who are viewing this thread