Coventry RFC Thread 18/19 (1 Viewer)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

2 new signings in tomorrow forward and back from Championship teams.

@Kneeza any idea who the ‘big’ signing at fly half that Tim mentioned in his blog on Sunday is meant to be!? Saw it was confirmed it wasn’t Myler.

Kneeza

I had no idea who was coming in (they've tightened up on security somewhat).
If this is the 'big' signing that blog refers to, then it's pretty underwhelming TBF, even though he's a decent enough stand-off.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I had no idea who was coming in (they've tightened up on security somewhat).
If this is the 'big' signing that blog refers to, then it's pretty underwhelming TBF, even though he's a decent enough stand-off.

Agree guess RW is going to ‘big up’ whoever he gets in over big names like Myler etc (I see he’s off to Ealing as well.)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Lost by 10 46-36 not at the races defensively every time DMP got past our 40m line they were through and over.

Promoted yes, injuries yes, but shame to see an amazing season run out of steam as it is and losing the amazing home record to boot.

Hopefully end the season on a high next Saturday!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Few more out today, including Litchfield who I always rated but fell out of favour 2nd half of the season, still young at 24/25 for a prop & Setu who never even played I don’t think and has been injured this season since signing and was a big signing from Aus.

Kneeza

Few more out today, including Litchfield who I always rated but fell out of favour 2nd half of the season, still young at 24/25 for a prop & Setu who never even played I don’t think and has been injured this season since signing and was a big signing from Aus.
Setu played one league game, at Old Albanian in September (at No8) and did his shoulder.
Litchfield rarely stopped moaning TBF, and really couldn't get to grips with artificial pitches, so I'm not in the least bit surprised that he's been released. #attitude Admittedly no props are big fans of 'carpets' given the difficulties they have readjusting foot position while under pressure and being turned, but it's the same for both front rows, so suck it up eh? (Some big beasts still to come in, so no worries on that score).

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Setu played one league game, at Old Albanian in September (at No8) and did his shoulder.
Litchfield rarely stopped moaning TBF, and really couldn't get to grips with artificial pitches, so I'm not in the least bit surprised that he's been released. #attitude Admittedly no props are big fans of 'carpets' given the difficulties they have readjusting foot position while under pressure and being turned, but it's the same for both front rows, so suck it up eh? (Some big beasts still to come in, so no worries on that score).

How many more due to come in?

Was reading on Tims blog I think is it 6 non English qualified players in matchday squad, so assuming there won’t be anymore Tongans and Fijians? Some powerful bits in for next season!

Kneeza

It's an average of six measured over a period of time.
One hooker, two props, two locks/back row, and a 9. (Kessell a possible, and he wants to come, but currently tied to saints. They have lost one, but have one more coming in, and it depends where Kessell ends up in the pecking order. A back-up 9 has also been lined up and is viewed as the most likely result.
Dacres is to be used at six next season BTW as this is viewed as best at that level given his relative lack of size.
Nilsen finishes at the end of next season, so the new hooker will be viewed as longer term, and prob on a two year contract if the right one has been secured.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

It's an average of six measured over a period of time.
One hooker, two props, two locks/back row, and a 9. (Kessell a possible, and he wants to come, but currently tied to saints. They have lost one, but have one more coming in, and it depends where Kessell ends up in the pecking order. A back-up 9 has also been lined up and is viewed as the most likely result.
Dacres is to be used at six next season BTW as this is viewed as best at that level given his relative lack of size.
Nilsen finishes at the end of next season, so the new hooker will be viewed as longer term, and prob on a two year contract if the right one has been secured.

A 9 is a must, I hate being critical after the season they’ve had but White on Saturday was driving me potty stupid / pointless box kicks, I’d be worried if he’s next years first choice.

Dacres move to 6 is understandable.

Nilsen injury has definitely played a part in standards slipping for sure same with Makafai & Narraway missing

Kneeza

A 9 is a must, I hate being critical after the season they’ve had but White on Saturday was driving me potty stupid / pointless box kicks, I’d be worried if he’s next years first choice.

Dacres move to 6 is understandable.

Nilsen injury has definitely played a part in standards slipping for sure same with Makafai & Narraway missing
Agreed, all that.
The 9 they are talking to is playing hardball on a silly salary demand (i've literally just been told), so we'll have to see.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Agreed, all that.
The 9 they are talking to is playing hardball on a silly salary demand (i've literally just been told), so we'll have to see.

So not Kessell? Is it a ‘bigger’ name & ‘better’ option than Kessell.

I think 99.9% of Cov fans would have him back!

Kneeza

No names, no etc.
As 'big' if not bigger, but 'better' is moot, but the main target is Kessell as he's already been here on loan and fits in really well and is a known quantity (and may even be slightly cheaper).
I think all Cov fans would have him back (unless they're rather peculiar).

Nick

Administrator
Just had a feature on itv news but used the ccfc badge. Thought I'd missed some great news for ccfc.

Last edited:

Ashdown

Why are the Telegraph not promoting this huge day at the BPA tomorrow........as bias as ever to the Cuckoos in CV6 !? This whole event should be rocking, lots of other stuff going on plus the champions last home game and collection of the trophy !! It ought to be rammed.........but has it been pushed enough ?! We've got our tickets and shall be meeting friends, looking forward to seeing some Cov success !

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Been thinking the same this week, I’m hoping to bring 2 that usually don’t go but that’s tbc but I don’t think there will be over 3k there let alone the league record crowd.

Ashdown

If I could levy one obvious shortcoming at CRFC though is that their marketing department isn't very proactive at all. They seem to rely on a lot of word and mouth and regular support remaining loyal. Especially now with promotion they need to get out there and let everyone know that the real rugby club in Cov is back on the up !

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

If I could levy one obvious shortcoming at CRFC though is that their marketing department isn't very proactive at all. They seem to rely on a lot of word and mouth and regular support remaining loyal. Especially now with promotion they need to get out there and let everyone know that the real rugby club in Cov is back on the up !

Agree, I had a ‘situation’ 3 years ago which still gripes me. Especially with the lot in CV6 buzzing around they should be doing more.

But I guess they’re doing the right things with sponsors & corporate which gets them more £££ than the regular supporter, if that’s the approach they’d rather take.

Ashdown

Agree, I had a ‘situation’ 3 years ago which still gripes me. Especially with the lot in CV6 buzzing around they should be doing more.

But I guess they’re doing the right things with sponsors & corporate which gets them more £££ than the regular supporter, if that’s the approach they’d rather take.
Still needs us boys and girls to get them over the line ! Support encourages support and numbers mean footfall and increased attraction for sponsors !! Let's get the spiral going upwards for a change !!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Still needs us boys and girls to get them over the line ! Support encourages support and numbers mean footfall and increased attraction for sponsors !! Let's get the spiral going upwards for a change !!

100% I will keep going etc but they haven’t helped themselves when supporters have tried to help them over the last few years bringing in new supporters and that still irks me, a few of those have now gone over to the Wasps side!

It’ll be interesting next year with the increased ticket prices etc how many more follow taking out sizeable away followings to present.

Users who are viewing this thread