Do you sense a change? (1 Viewer)

smileycov

Facebook User
last season was the best in a very long time. Not just the promotion (though a major factor) but at times, the style of play, the players themselves, the set up, the transfers...and Mark Robins influence. Yes, you can pull large parts of season apart and some games were shocking. But especially last few games and Wembley, the players really bought into the fans I felt. For the first in a long long time, we felt like a club, as one.

Do you think sisu have learnt lessons, or do we feel they are at the bottom and just washed there hands of us and we are on cruise control? I do think hitting bottom has woken them up and MR has slightly more control and that has caused an upturn in fortune and they see this. Doubt they would invest heavily yet though, but as long as they don’t strip us of anything more I would be happy at this stage.

shmmeee

Honestly: I think we fell below our level last season due to poor management in the preceding years.

That combined with Robins (who I seriously rate), gave us a good chance at a bounce back.

Proof of the pudding will be this season, not just the backing we seem to be getting now, but especially if it isn’t working come January and Sisu have the choice to cut their losses again or push on. If they push on then things have changed. Otherwise we could just be back to where we were two years ago.

I’m a firm believer that our natural position is the Championship at least and we’ve been underperforming for a long long time.

On the pitch I do think Robins is the right guy and that and a bit of success will bind fans and players to the club.

djr8369

I think the season ticket sales speak for themselves and suggest a lot of people feel the same way. I also think we’ve come past rock bottom and now SISU seem to let the football people do their thing there’s potential to progress.

However, having to leave the Ricoh will undo most of that goodwill and optimism so I see that as our biggest threat (assuming SISU don’t sell every player worth more than a fun size Mars bar).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingy

Honestly: I think we fell below our level last season due to poor management in the preceding years.

That combined with Robins (who I seriously rate), gave us a good chance at a bounce back.

Proof of the pudding will be this season, not just the backing we seem to be getting now, but especially if it isn’t working come January and Sisu have the choice to cut their losses again or push on. If they push on then things have changed. Otherwise we could just be back to where we were two years ago.

I’m a firm believer that our natural position is the Championship at least and we’ve been underperforming for a long long time.

On the pitch I do think Robins is the right guy and that and a bit of success will bind fans and players to the club.
I think they wanted us there mate sure there were managememt failures but I do genuinely think their plan involved getting to rock bottom, she said herself it would be great to build something new ,from scratch so to speak.

ConnorDevine

totally agree with this, you see a lot of 'we're not a big club anymore' but championship should be minimum standard for a club with this fan base and history.

Hopefully SISU will realise getting us back to the premier league is their best chance of getting some cash so they'll get us promoted then leave

Magwitch

At the moment we have only signed one player, Junior Brown likely to come straight into the team, the others are a bit of if, buts or maybes hopefully they all come off. Having said that I’m happy with the intake and fingers crossed they will be assets to the team. Does that mean sisu have changed, changed from what ? I think we could do with a couple of quality players who can come straight into the team and makes us better with the bonus Maddison money it certainly tests our owner.

luwalla

Things got better when Fisher went off the scene
Can’t argue with that ... he brought a toxic atmosphere , and I think he knew that but was too stubborn to accept it! Was only when he had health issues that I think he had to step aside for his well being - he looked proper ill at one stage

skybluetony176

If Sisu have learnt their lesson it’s to not get involved. No coincidence that the less they’re involved the more our fortunes improve. Same goes for Fisher.

covmark

If Sisu have learnt their lesson it’s to not get involved. No coincidence that the less they’re involved the more our fortunes improve. Same goes for Fisher.
This. Plus you have to say we were promoted in spite of Sisu not because of them. The fact that Seppala was there like the cat that got the cream was a joke tbh.
But hopefully Robins, his staff and players can work their magic again next season.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mark82

I honestly think Fisher was stuck in a shit position where he had to follow orders and try to sell it to the fans. He did a shit job of it but he does seem to want us to be successful. I think having Dave Boddy around has helped him and the club greatly. I don't think it's a coincidence that his arrival has started an improvement in the feel around the club - there have been a lot of initiatives to try to get people back in since he's arrived. Think Robins has obviously helped too. As others have said, this season will be the test of which direction we are moving in.

mark82

Viveash has been a great influence.
Great No 2 for MR and hopefully will be around for next couple of years

Agree, Taylor before him was good too. The whole structure around recruitment now is much better than it has been and we've stopped selling every player at the first offer (which is not to say our best players won't be sold as that is a reality of where we are currently).

Kingokings204

I dont think Sisu have changed their spots so to speak. They are still a greedy hedge fund in London hell bent on making money at any cost.

The less they have got involved the better we have done. They hired Mark Robins again who is a fantastic manager and I don’t care about last time when he went to a bigger club than us. That’s football. He is back and doing the business again. I believe in him and I believe in the players. They want to play for him and this club.

I see no reason why we can’t challenge in league 1 with a top half finish. Especially with a couple of signings and not many to leave. I except 1 or 2 will move on most likely Baylis. That’s fine by me. That’s football.

I do think lessons have been learned and Sisus best chance of money is selling us at a league higher where the money and potential is more.

Magwitch

The difference is hope and optimism, something that’s been missing for a few years the next step will be expectation and this is where our owner or sisu need to deliver especially as supporters know there’s a bit of extra cash about, fans are onside but after years of doom and gloom it’s fine lines.

dancers lance

Viveash has been a great influence.
Great No 2 for MR and hopefully will be around for next couple of years
100% agree with you, he is very highly regarded and respected within the game, he will be a big influence when it comes to getting a few decent loan signings next season, I think one could be on the way already.

SkyblueBazza

I think they wanted us there mate sure there were managememt failures but I do genuinely think their plan involved getting to rock bottom, she said herself it would be great to build something new ,from scratch so to speak.
I remember saying when they took over (& was sympathetic to them at the time) that the nature of them is to dismantle to the bare bones & make it an efficient ship to run...then allowing more for development etc.

To be honest I didn't appreciate how far/low they woukd actually go (Northampton? L1? Lol) but there is a hint there that we might have turned a corner. For now I am happy to believe it, but nothing surprises me with SISU anymore. We could be in the Nationwide in 2yrs time, or we could be in the Premiership...just don't build your hopes up too much!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

Things got better when Fisher went off the scene
Not so sure about that...he will become more prominent if we start to perform like shit & in a relegation battle again. Its that old-fashioned approach trying (often still with a degree of success) to distract or take the heat off the thing people really care about

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

CovBurty

Nothing has really changed with SISU other than the low profile. The club is where it is now due to MR and his team. Nothing to do with SISU. Imo, as Robins is still looking at lower league players then things haven't changed that much. If he gets this club into to play offs again he will be over-achieving. We need him. It is my belief that as long as SISU remain then L1 is our new premiership. So, this is the best it gets. Pessimistic I know. My view. This season will be a test on what MR can achieve. Let's see what he can do. Owners not bothered.

christonabike

The best thing this season was seeing Joy in tight white trousers at Wembley and showing us her camel toes! :woot:

Gleneagles65

Momentum can be massive . I think Coventry will be very competitive this coming season and hopefully fearless . Having lived in Leicester for a many years now I yearn to play them again at league level . Got a good feeling we will meet them sooner rather than later .

djr8369

Nothing has really changed with SISU other than the low profile. The club is where it is now due to MR and his team. Nothing to do with SISU. Imo, as Robins is still looking at lower league players then things haven't changed that much. If he gets this club into to play offs again he will be over-achieving. We need him. It is my belief that as long as SISU remain then L1 is our new premiership. So, this is the best it gets. Pessimistic I know. My view. This season will be a test on what MR can achieve. Let's see what he can do. Owners not bothered.

Although I’m feeling fairly optimistic I wouldn’t be at all surprised if you were completely right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sbarcher

I think Joy was doing a reccy job down at Wembley. Buy it for our new stadium and move Covbley down there. Might as well have 10k rattling around in a 90k stadium as a 32k one.

skyblu3sk

For me recruitment policy has changed massively and kinda reminds me of when they first arrived. its no longer a team of 30 something players looking for a paycheck, it's a team of players who have the potential to improve. Down side of that is we are likely to sell some on but if we re-invest some we will still move forward.

ccfcrob

Said after the Checkatrade that it could be a catalyst. After the second leg at Notts County when we blew them away, I said that there is something in the air in Coventry and it could be the beginning of very exciting times.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

For me recruitment policy has changed massively and kinda reminds me of when they first arrived. its no longer a team of 30 something players looking for a paycheck, it's a team of players who have the potential to improve. Down side of that is we are likely to sell some on but if we re-invest some we will still move forward.
That was the ranson plan in all fairness. Sign young hungry players cheap, and sell one every year to cover costs and reinvest in more young hungry players

It seems to me they’ve attempted to go back to Plan A. Rest assured we should still approach SISU with the same caution, they’ve cut us off.

I suppose the only hope we got is that they don’t lose their nerve this time

Mucca Mad Boys

Everyone involved did a great job last year, top to bottom. The early signs of this window is a continuation of this, we've beaten other teams to signings and we're building a squad with players added to the U23s. I'm optimistic that we can finally challenge for L1 playoffs.

I would be impressed if we can keep Bayliss, though I'm pragmatic enough to accept that we might not be able to keep ahold of him and that we may be needed to be sold to strengthen elsewhere in the squad.

GaryJones

Said after the Checkatrade that it could be a catalyst. After the second leg at Notts County when we blew them away, I said that there is something in the air in Coventry and it could be the beginning of very exciting times.
I largely agree with the optimism voiced in these threads BUT regardless of how well things go this season we could still be out on our ear playing Championship football at Stadium MK or Sixfields if they don't get their shit together!

Rich

I'm banging the same drum, but I said this before we got relegated from League 1. I genuinely believe their business plan was to start again from the bottom. I'm not saying they got relegated on purpose, but what's happened?

Misery we got relegated but piqued interest with 40,000 at Wembley for the Checkatrade.
A fantastic entertaining season in League 2 where we were competing the whole time, with a good manager and good team mentality.
PR has improved massively and we had a decent squad and budget for the league. This resulted in a positive feeling amongst the supporters.

This forum is normally dead at this time of year, but there's plenty of us around talking City, not just world cup and I think the majority are excited for next season.

Could this be the business plan?

glasgowfan

I think it's just a matter of perception.
When the football side is doing well, fans are happy and optimistic, so the SISU issues fade into the background a little..
When the football side is not doing well, fans are not happy and SISU is the easiest target.

Users who are viewing this thread